IS COACH MIKE OVERRATED?

He's the only young QB I've ever seen who looked downright afraid to throw the ball more that 5-10 yards. That particularly stood out based on the starter at the time! Mr I'll throw it anywhere any time any place. He owes that early development until 2007 or so to MM. IMO Rodgers became "Rodgers" in the 2009 playoff loss to AZ. It's been all him from there.

Being able to let the game come to him, instead of being thrown into the lineup as a rookie made a big difference with Rodgers.

If there was only one thing that Thompson did right, it was draft Rodgers. If there is only one thing McCarthy did right, it was his development of Rodgers. There's no doubt in my mind that they saw something special, and molded him into the player we see on the field on Sundays.

No matter what happens with McC and Thompson, nobody will take that away from them.

Overrated ? Meh not the term I would use. I don't like the way he does certain things. His reference to his "program" bugs the hell out of me. You run a "program" in college and HS, in the pro ranks it's a system and a job. He learned that and his offensive base from Paul Hackett who really was a great offensive match coach and why MM is successful doing that.... He also learned some habits from the great pretender Marty Schottenheimer that I wish he didn't.

Overall he's not the worst coach ever and as others have said he will consistently get you 9-10 win seasons but will frustrate the hell out of you come playoff time. Among the best ever ? Hell no but I would say as consistent a coach as you can get thus the reason the keep him around. Just fill the stands and bring in cash baby !

way too early packers season prediction:

we will start the season 3-4. after the bye, we will go 7-2, ending up at 10-6. we will win the division, be the fourth seed in the playoffs, win one playoff game and lose the next. in other words, a typical season under mccarthy.

I don't know about "over-rated" because I don't know that anyone sees him as elite.

Personally I consider him a top-half of the pack type coach. He's among a group of coaches who are consistently winners. This type of discussion would include guys like McCarthy, Tomlin, Peyton, etc. Guys who win, typically with a top-flite QB, but don't really seem able to make a championship run other than when the stars align.

Really, outside of Belicheat and maybe Carroll there are no real elite coaches, just a next tier of solid coaches who can get you there if everything falls just right.

way too early packers season prediction:

we will start the season 3-4. after the bye, we will go 7-2, ending up at 10-6. we will win the division, be the fourth seed in the playoffs, win one playoff game and lose the next. in other words, a typical season under mccarthy.
Agreed, although I might add "in heartbreaking fashion" after "lose the next".

Yeah, McCarthy can make the occasional bonehead move or take the foot off the gas too soon, the biggest knock I have against McCarthy is his decision to stick with Capers. It sure seems to me that the Dom Capers’ defense is the biggest reason why past seasons end the way they do. He makes that change, and gets a DC who can build even a Top 10 defense, and McCarthy probably reaches "elite" status.

Reactions: TW
Can't argue at all. Some of my problems with MM are.

As some others have said, he is loyal to a fault with his coaches.

He is reluctant to make changes both with personnel and game planning/scheme.

He lacks the killer instinct to close out a game. If we have a lead no matter how much time is left in the 4th, you know the brakes are coming on for O and D.

Back