Lack of Superbowls Staining Packer's Legacy

Interesting views. Hard to disagree with any of it. Maybe it's a mix of all of it? Also, maybe the Pats are doing something under the table we don't see? Not thinking about a Louisville University situation with hookers, but more in line with perks off the field that are meaningful to players, and ends up saving them a lot of money. That happened out in San Francisco with deBartolo. Perks were there, if they wanted them, and they took them, and stuck with the team.

I agree with cheese and eye. Our defense has been horrible most of the time we've had these great offenses. We've listened to the excuses about injuries, rebuilding due to free agency, etc. None of it washes. Year after year, teams put together decent defenses, yet we can't? I've said it before - still believe it - Capers is no longer a leader in development of the 3-4 defense, and McCarthy is too willing to give him a pass. He should have been fired.

McCarthy is too much into this "family" thing.

They've just found a way to get cheaper guys who fit what they need and have been given second chances. Chris Long (Howie's kid) said after the Superbowl that "we're a team of guys nobody else wanted"... I think they're just extra motivated by a second chance with a proven winning team..

I remember a lot of 49er players had radio shows, and advertising gigs on their own with car dealers, clothing stores, and even liquor stores. You start thinking about all the possibilities, and it's staggering.

I remember a lot of 49er players had radio shows, and advertising gigs on their own with car dealers, clothing stores, and even liquor stores. You start thinking about all the possibilities, and it's staggering.
There are plenty of Packer players with radio shows, advertising gigs and other things too. You bring up an interesting point though about paying or perks under the table. Kraft would have the resources to do that. But to be fair it could just be the mentality. Brady is the 23 highest paid QB and will be making 14 million next year. He restructured his contract to help the Patriots. The patriots have 63 million in available cap space. Their top 10 contracts for 2017 total just under 70 million. The Packers top 10 contracts is 98 million. Maybe they just buy in to the team.

eye - Exactly the point. Kraft has deep pockets and lots of clout in areas that can be very advantageous to players. There were a lot of perks we don't even think about in SF. Example, housing deals. In those days, paying $100 a month rent on a home that should have been rented out for $2,000 a month. That actually happened in Minnesota too, but a lot of people don't realize it. Ahmad Rashad rented a place that he and his then wife Phylicia were sued by a rental company that claimed the trashed the place they rented. The Vikings were listed on the complaint, because they were paying most of the rent on the home. The NFL was careful to stay out of it. Then Tony Dorsett rented a home that Rashad had bought, and when he went belly up, the money owed on the rent was the responsibility of the Vikings. They were obviously paying most of it.

It's always been there, but some teams are deeper involved in it than others. But, yes, there are some players willing to take lesser pay for a chance at the brass ring. But, for every one who will, there has to be at least two or three that get "side perks" that are technically outside the scope of league control.

One of Aaron Rodgers perks is that he gets a brand new truck every year, in addition to the advertising money he gets paid for the spokesperson job as well. They consider the truck about the same as a real estate agent wearing a gold jacket advertising the realtor they work with.

I heard a good one, while out in NYC 25 years ago. I'd met a guy on the plane from Chicago. We chatted all the way to NY, and we talked about his business, which I found fascinating. He was about to put an offer in to buy the rights to the sequel to Gone With The Wind. Anyhow, and strangely enough, we were both staying at the same Manhattan Hotel. We decided to get together for drinks after we were done with work. He - having spent a lot of time in NY in the past, and knowing a lot of interesting people - suggested we go to Mickey Mantle's for a late dinner and drinks. He had contacted a couple of old friends, and wanted to see them too.

Anyhow, we went to Mantle's, and his friends were there. Mickey Mantle, and Whitey Ford. We had dinner, and Mantle talked about how things were, when he played with the Yankees during the 50s. He and Whitey would go out bar-hopping, and pay for their drinks with checks in denominations of $5 or less, usually giving them a buck or so change back, which they'd leave as a tip. Their checks were stamped that they were no longer valid, after 90 days. They were selling their autographs for drinks, since most people would never cash in their checks. They'd keep them as souvenirs.

Some of the things you find out through experience are amazing.

Though if a team agree's to pay for a players rent or something like that They have to count that as part of salary paid to player and it goes against the salary cap.

How many teams in league history have made the playoffs for 8 straight years?

How many teams in league history have made the playoffs for 8 straight years?

Packers, Pats, 49ers, Rams, Steelers all made 8 in a row.

Cowboys and Colts hold record with 9 in a row.

So, there are only 7 franchises in league history who have made the playoffs 8/9 years in a row but because we are one of two who haven't appeared in multiple SBs during such a stretch it is staining our legacy?? smh

When Dallas and the 49ers appeared in multiple SBs in a 8/9 year stretch this was back in the 80s.
When the Steelers did this it was back in the 70s when Chuck Noll was the HC.
The Colts did it when they were still in Baltimore.
When the Rams appeared in a SB in an 8 year stretch Chuck Knox was the HC.

How can you compare what we are doing today with what these teams - outside of NE - did years ago with different offensive and defensive rules in place? What NE is doing in these past 8 years is historic and I doubt we'll see another team replicate this in our lifetime. But to disparage what we are doing under this regime because we haven't appeared in multiple SBs is just sad IMO. When fans of other teams, other than NE, hear this kind of talk from Packers fans they think we sound like spoiled brats.

This ones simple ..in the last 25 yrs GB has had 2 HOF QB running the show. In that span they have had 2 SB wins. That's about as piss poor as you can get.

That spans 4 HC and 2 GM .. several DC etc. Point fingers ... get your undies in a bunch all you want because the green and gold gets a negative review but it's still without a doubt a poor record with 2 HOF QB.

Who else in that time span had 2 HOF QB ?

This ones simple ..in the last 25 yrs GB has had 2 HOF QB running the show. In that span they have had 2 SB wins. That's about as piss poor as you can get.

That spans 4 HC and 2 GM .. several DC etc. Point fingers ... get your undies in a bunch all you want because the green and gold gets a negative review but it's still without a doubt a poor record with 2 HOF QB.

Who else in that time span had 2 HOF QB ?

The only comparative situation I can think of is Montana-Young and they have 5 SBs.

Back