Mark Murphy, "No one can match the Patriots, but we're pretty close"

The offense played like garbage against Atlanta too. Usually when we lost in the playoffs it was a team-wide mess. The Seattle NFCC game is Exhibit A. Yes, ST and the defense collapsed but our offense couldn't get first downs late in the game to close it out (and unfortunately couldn't score TDs instead of FGs in the first quarter of the game). Having a one legged QB didn't help the cause either...
No they ran into a defense with speed off the edge ala the Hawks of old... you go hit Rodgers early and often and play physical man on our WR you win 9 out 10 times. Atl beat us twice... hats off to them for being the better team this season.

Murphy more or less confirmed that it's "status quo" in GB next year. Is this a chicken shit cop out approach to things.. somewhat. I have been telling ya'll for 3 seasons about it being a business first ( coffers are full and so are the stands) and the BOD is happy as long as that side of things is successful.

I have won championships as a player and coach and I've had win less seasons as the same. Seen a lot of FB played in the last 35 yrs. MM/TT take a profound middle of the road approach to things. MM takes a lot of his philosophy from Marty Schottenheimer and offensively from Paul Hackett. Marty was the king of close but no cigar so it shouldn't be a surprise that many of MM teams play that way.

The point is the operations and personal depts in GB are building winning teams that entertain the fans. NE builds and operates completely different to GB and will keep competing for a title with their approach... GB will be winning the North most yrs and trying to get hot late and make a run (maybe). Until this era ends in GB I expect nothing more and less won't be a shock.

One last note.... building your team around an all pro QB is fine and dandy but when he's the complete pulse of your FB team 99 % of the time you won't win it all. (See Dan Marino/ Dolphins)

sb(tc(

No they ran into a defense with speed off the edge ala the Hawks of old... you go hit Rodgers early and often and play physical man on our WR you win 9 out 10 times. Atl beat us twice... hats off to them for being the better team this season.

If a defense hits any QB early and often you're gonna win 9 out of 10 times. If they do that tonight against Brady they'll win that game too.

Wonder if Murphy wants to reconsider his words now.

We're a level below them. A pretty good team, but a level below

With our crappy defense and a GM who won't change his approach we'll be lucky to win the NFCN next year. It appears every other team in the league is a level below them. Some are already crowning them SB 52 winners.

Back