Mark's Best Available Defensive Coordinators list

During the 2015 and 2016 seasons, he served as Washington’s defensive coordinator. Barry’s defense was ranked 28th in yards allowed for both seasons while it was a slightly better 17th and 19th in points allowed respectively.

In Washington, Barry ran an odd front system with varied coverages. According to Pro Football Focus, he used Cover 3 just over 22 percent of the time, Cover 1 just under 20 percent of the time, Cover 2 under 10 percent of the time and Cover 4 under four percent of the time. Barry also ran a blitz rate of 28 percent which was 19th in the NFL at the time.

On paper this is not good... But maybe he can change some things around and get more out of the guys GB has. Though it seems strange to hire a guy who need strength in the middle which is one of GBs greatest weaknesses.

All I have to say is, when critics of the league talk about the lack of promotions for minority candidates, while certain other coaches get multiple chances.... they are talking about the Joe Barry's of the league. He's a failed candidate. Nothing left to be said. A really terrible, uninspiring hire that makes me have questions about LeFleur's judgment.

A quote from ESPN: "The high-energy Barry is known for preferring an aggressive style of defense, although he didn't always have the personnel to do that in either Detroit or Washington, where those defenses ranked between 28th and 32nd in the league based on yards allowed during his tenures. Washington was 17th and 18th in points allowed under Barry as coordinator." Excuses excuses excuses! Awful hire.

All I have to say is, when critics of the league talk about the lack of promotions for minority candidates, while certain other coaches get multiple chances.... they are talking about the Joe Barry's of the league. He's a failed candidate. Nothing left to be said.
Excellent point

All I have to say is, when critics of the league talk about the lack of promotions for minority candidates, while certain other coaches get multiple chances.... they are talking about the Joe Barry's of the league. He's a failed candidate. Nothing left to be said. A really terrible, uninspiring hire that makes me have questions about LeFleur's judgment.

A quote from ESPN: "The high-energy Barry is known for preferring an aggressive style of defense, although he didn't always have the personnel to do that in either Detroit or Washington, where those defenses ranked between 28th and 32nd in the league based on yards allowed during his tenures. Washington was 17th and 18th in points allowed under Barry as coordinator." Excuses excuses excuses! Awful hire.
Will see the same excuses be given in GB that he does not have the personal to run the scheme he wants and has to make due with with he has.

Also as you point out the NFL's new rewarding of teams with picks who lose minority coaches to HC and GM jobs is supposed to be making teams want to promote more of them to levels were they will get hired for these jobs. Passing over them like GB did helps no one.

Leonhard is from a very small town as is his wife. I think he was quite a bit more frugal with his money than the average NFL player and probably has saved and invested well a good part of his $10M he made during his time in the NFL so money is not the big issue with him. Just putting a couple of pieces together JL is one heck of a coordinator and the linebacker position is a critical part of his defense. I really believe he looked at the linebacker position or lack there of and their past history of upgrading the position which is zero and he didn't think it was worth it to head north. He has had some tremendous linebackers at WI and they play a major role in his defense. Just some thoughts after a few old fashions.

if the packers had promoted gray, would they have gotten the two 3rd round comp picks since gray came from the packers?

So is there anything to actually like about this hire? Any possible glimmers of hope? Or GB just trying to convince itself that sloppy seconds was what they were after all along.

Back