McCarthy: Matthews has an elbow injury that will keep him out of practice today

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice comments Wednesday morning:

- (On setting schedule) This will be the closest to an in-week schedule. Still have some camp things we're working through. Special teams ball drills is something we've done at the end of Thursdays. Do those in the beginning in camp. It's pretty close. The classroom part is in-season schedule. It's the only time we'll have a full four days to prepare for a game. We have a short week next week and a short one after that.
- (On players moving out of dorms) As far as transition, not a big thing. Players with homes are probably more comfortable. The other are in hotels, that's probably close to being in the dorm.
- (On inside or outside practice) We have the
- (On Bakhtiari's knee) He's on a program that he's out all week. He'll be a stretch to play in Pittsburgh. Clay has an elbow issue that will keep him out of practice.
- (On offensive line) We've been running with five guys all through camp and OTAs. Bakhtiari's injury allows you to work a new person in. You'd like to keep your five together.
- (On JC Tretter) Been excellent. Very, very good training camp. Best training camp. He's a pro. He comes early and stays late.
- (On veteran OLBs) Can never have enough pass rushers. Something we've done here of late. Run defense is my primary focus this year. The body type, the ability to play outside and jump into a three-technique, the ability of Julius and Mike Neal do that.
- (On TEs) Richard Rodgers has jumped to the front of the class. Everyone else is just kind of banging away. Special teams is where they need to make their mark.
- (On second game vs. third game) Do want to play the third game from play time standpoint. The main thing is the
- (On joint practice with another team) I have. Our situation is unique. We'd never take our team out of Green Bay. THere was a team that was interested one time in Green Bay, one time at their place. We weren't interested in that. With CBA limitations and our eight days of installation, it's tough. It's great work. Just doesn't really work out for us.
- (On brawls and injuries) I think those are isolated injuries. I can remember playing in La Crosse and Jim Mora was ripping into our players for jumping offsides. And Marty Schottenheimer was doing the same thing.
- (On lots of plays vs. NE) That's what preseason is all about, getting your tempo up. You want to play as fast as you can and give the ball to your offense as many plays as possible.

Continue reading...

Back