Next Badgers Football Coach

Not a popular take but this program does not need a “program builder”. It need someone who can recognize how the portal and NIL impact a program. The Emperor has said many times it’s harder to maintain a program than to build one. I have no doubt Leipold can coach, but can he recruit at a high level

Kansas 2022 class was ranked #67, that’s his first full cycle to bring in a class. Of that class no kids above 3 stars. Ok I get “stars” are subjective but it’s a data point. The 2023 class is now at #73.

Again I 100% believe he can flat out coach but the game now is much more than that
It was Lance's second year in Kansas. He didn't have a magic wand. I think he's done quite well with identification of mid-range talent to start to lift the program at Kansas. They'd continue to climb under his guidance.

You're entitled to your opinion, but in this case, I think you're dead wrong. A coach at the DI level must be a program builder, to maintain, and advance a program. The last thing Wisconsin needs is someone coming in and being a caretaker for a program that needs revitalization.

And, by the way. Alvarez had to rebuild a program that was sagging when he came in. I saw his hard work and dedication to recruiting face to face. I think you'll find he believed that the Badgers needed a program builder, who could motivate everyone in the house to do better in all aspects of the program. I think you'll also see he demanded that his assistants always be looking to the future, not trying to maintain the status quo.

Won a national title with the super talent he was able to get that year.
And Burrow was a transfer. He can recruit but he’s not a very good HC. He was 11-12 the 2 years after the Natty

It was Lance's second year in Kansas. He didn't have a magic wand. I think he's done quite well with identification of mid-range talent to start to lift the program at Kansas. They'd continue to climb under his guidance.

You're entitled to your opinion, but in this case, I think you're dead wrong. A coach at the DI level must be a program builder, to maintain, and advance a program. The last thing Wisconsin needs is someone coming in and being a caretaker for a program that needs revitalization.
Kansas was a rebuild, Wisconsin is not. Les Miles killed that program. As to UW, It’s 2 years removed from a RB and 3 NY6 games since 2016. The debate is what is the ceiling for a program like UW? It’s not close to competing with OSU or Bama or Georgia. I can argue 2017 is about as close as we can expect to get and that’s probably a perfect storm. I look at a guy like Matt Campbell who probably has takes ISU about as far as he can at 9-3. And he’s a damn good HC. I’m not asking for a caretaker, I want a HC who can put an emphasis on recruiting, not an OSU level that’s unrealistic, but can continue to reload.

Kansas was a rebuild, Wisconsin is not. Les Miles killed that program. As to UW, It’s 2 years removed from a RB and 3 NY6 games since 2016. The debate is what is the ceiling for a program like UW? It’s not close to competing with OSU or Bama or Georgia. I can argue 2017 is about as close as we can expect to get and that’s probably a perfect storm. I look at a guy like Matt Campbell who probably has takes ISU about as far as he can at 9-3. And he’s a damn good HC. I’m not asking for a caretaker, I want a HC who can put an emphasis on recruiting, not an OSU level that’s unrealistic, but can continue to reload.

Apparently you're happy with staying on the sideline as a bridesmaid, and never being the bride. Sorry! I think you need to continuously try to be the bride, even if you fail.

The thing that hurt Alvarez most, in my opinion, was when he accepted the idea that being complacent won enough games for him, or his coaches, to stay on staff, and be told they were doing swell.

It doesn't matter if you never get the brass ring. What matters is that you are always looking to find a way to get it, and prove to everyone, you are trying. For the Badgers, making it into the round of 12, and eventually getting a win, and looking for more, would be a lot better than sitting in a circle with your coaches drinking a champagne toast, because you won 10 games "again."

And, for your edification, I think the recruiting program is a "rebuilding program," to make it effective.

With the right assistants, I think Lance could do pretty well at Wisconsin. But, that's not our decision, is it?

Apparently you're happy with staying on the sideline as a bridesmaid, and never being the bride. Sorry! I think you need to continuously try to be the bride, even if you fail.

The thing that hurt Alvarez most, in my opinion, was when he accepted the idea that being complacent won enough games for him, or his coaches, to stay on staff, and be told they were doing swell.

It doesn't matter if you never get the brass ring. What matters is that you are always looking to find a way to get it, and prove to everyone, you are trying. For the Badgers, making it into the round of 12, and eventually getting a win, and looking for more, would be a lot better than sitting in a circle with your coaches drinking a champagne toast, because you won 10 games "again."

And, for your edification, I think the recruiting program is a "rebuilding program," to make it effective.

With the right assistants, I think Lance could do pretty well at Wisconsin. But, that's not our decision, is it?
No. It’s not about being the bride or bridesmaid. It’s about realistic expectations for this program. When the CFP expand to 12 that will require UW to be competitive on a consistent level with OSU, Michigan, PSU & USC. Since The Emperor took over that has never been the case. Sure BB went to a few RB and won a few B1G championships but that was also in 2011 with Wilson at QB and OSU on probation and 2012 where a 4-4 record got him to the B1G Champ game with PSU and OSU on probation

The challenges to recruiting in Madison are well chronicled here. As Mark eloquently has said Wisconsin is an acquired taste. The academic/ entrance requirements are above NCAA guidelines, Gary Anderson learned that the hard way. Facilities are at best average. And as of now, no they have not expanded the recruiting staff.

Is if possible for UW to reach the expanded CFP? Sure it’s possible. Consistently no. Again 2017 was probably the ceiling. And more than likely it will take a perfect storm again. Sorry for the realistic expectations

To be honest you've been barking up the "program isn't that bad tree" for the past 3 years. The program isn't in great shape and PC was terminated because of it.

While recruiting is a big piece of the pie, I tried telling you that the culture would sour UW. That shit show we saw Saturday is the culmination of it.

I can honestly tell you that Matt while a great culture builder and recruiter is limited on the FB side of things. LL is in no way the better recruiter but he's a hell of a lot better than PC or BB.

What I am getting at is LL is by far the more rounded coaching candidate in all areas while Matt Campbell and Dave Arandas of the world excel at only certain things and need a big support staff to cover their shortcomings.

The key thing here when evaluating coaches, and you failed at it , If the phrase ' I want " is why you hire him then NO. It should be "WE have these needs and HE fills them"

I still say they should give Jake Dickert a long hard look because Mark thinks he could be UW's next Barry but better.

To be honest you've been barking up the "program isn't that bad tree" for the past 3 years. The program isn't in great shape and PC was terminated because of it.

While recruiting is a big piece of the pie, I tried telling you that the culture would sour UW. That shit show we saw Saturday is the culmination of it.

I can honestly tell you that Matt while a great culture builder and recruiter is limited on the FB side of things. LL is in no way the better recruiter but he's a hell of a lot better than PC or BB.

What I am getting at is LL is by far the more rounded coaching candidate in all areas while Matt Campbell and Dave Arandas of the world excel at only certain things and need a big support staff to cover their shortcomings.

The key thing here when evaluating coaches, and you failed at it , If the phrase ' I want " is why you hire him then NO. It should be "WE have these needs and HE fills them"

I still say they should give Jake Dickert a long hard look because Mark thinks he could be UW's next Barry but better.
BB was probably the best recruiter and much of that was because of Partridge. He did open doors in Florida, got a few kids and was more than close on a couple especially a certain QB.

The piece by Temple in the Athletic was eye opening. Showed what made it crash. Also pointed out the ongoing resource issue. Programs that go to NY6 games and win as consistently as this one are not bad. Flawed but not bad. And yes it was flawed.

I like Dickert, more than LL. Not sure how I feel about Jimmy. I don’t want the next Barry. Alvey would not adapt and while he was a program builder he had more than his share of down years. And it’s more than just recruiting. It’s managing the portal and NIL and not convinced LL is that guy

BB was probably the best recruiter and much of that was because of Partridge. He did open doors in Florida, got a few kids and was more than close on a couple especially a certain QB.

The piece by Temple in the Athletic was eye opening. Showed what made it crash. Also pointed out the ongoing resource issue. Programs that go to NY6 games and win as consistently as this one are not bad. Flawed but not bad. And yes it was flawed.

I like Dickert, more than LL. Not sure how I feel about Jimmy. I don’t want the next Barry. Alvey would not adapt and while he was a program builder he had more than his share of down years. And it’s more than just recruiting. It’s managing the portal and NIL and not convinced LL is that guy
Look up one post..your wrong

Lance's priority is NIL above all else. Also stadium, asst money, Anderson complex upgrades.

I knew KU was trying to tie them down, I DO know LL agent was contacted by Nebraska and Wisconsin. It's known in Kansas. Could that have compelled Chris M to move quickly ? Plausible
Plausible but you can still make the back door call and play it out. He elevated Jimmy and like it or not optics matter. If LL gets the gig and Jimmy goes 4-3 and very competitive a few folks won’t be happy. And I’m not talking fans either

Back