Official Week 8 Green Bay vs Detroit Thread

Those are horrid numbers. Yet MM says his system works... hes right in that the syatem works well for the opposing team..

That being said.... 35-19 lions... crosby will be busy...

Last edited:
I don't see this going well for the Pack. Defense just typically doesn't play well enough to win games. I'm thinking the offense will be a little better, but not much. 28-20 Lions.

After the loss to the Saints, MM now realizes you can't try and play ball for 60 minutes - at some point your QB has to make some plays to win in this league. So in this game at least one of Hundley's training wheels comes off. I think he'll play better than most expect against a shaky Detroit pass defense. I also think Aaron Jones will continue to solidify himself as one of TT's better picks of late. Furthermore, MM is a flat out better coach than Caldwell probably by a lot and we're at home where we never lose to this team. So I think we actually have some things going for us in this game.

The 2 key questions:
1) Can we, namely Hundley, avoid the big turnover?
2) Can our shitty ass Ted Thompson authored defense not completely suck?
I'm not sure.

I'm going to say we play them tight but Stafford's experience and talent advantage over Hundley eventually win out (barely):
Detroit - 24
Green Bay - 23

I cannot predict this thing, I just don't know! What this game will be, IMO, is a microcosm of the rest of the regular season. We're as healthy as we can be with Rodgers out, Hundley has a game and a half under his belt and a bye week to prepare, we're playing a beatable team, it's at Lambeau. We should win this one and need a win to build on!

I stand by my three keys: (1) Coaching performance worthy of an "elite" coaching staff; (2) Defense picking up the slack from the huge offensive hole Rodgers' injury wrought; (3) OL providing pass protection allowing Hundley time to develop in the pocket and learn to survey the field.

Because the Packers really need this game as a game to build upon, it's at Lambeau, and they're reasonably healthy coming off the bye, I'm going to go ahead and say Pack wins 23-20.

TT has plenty of good players on that D. It is Capers that is the problem here.
I've always thought there was a disconnect between the draft and develop mentality of TT and a coordinator who espouses a overly complicated scheme. Last week was a prime example of the many blown coverages and personnel confusion we've seen over the years. (Remember when Tramon Williams said it was too complicated?) Speed and a simpler scheme allows players to react and play more naturally. One could also argue this is why we have a trend in injuries.

Interesting statistic: Dom's first two years he had a 2nd ranked defense. His last seven: 25th, 8th, 31st, 16th, 9th, 20th, and currently 23rd... an average of 19th. There is no improvement trend, and when you look at these numbers it is apparent this scheme is going to result in no better than an average NFL defense. That will not, and has not, worked if the goal is the SB.

Excellent post Oak. Never thought about the draft and develop philosophy vs the complicated system that Capers runs. Great point and no doubt one of the main reasons rookies don't contribute much their first year. Seems to me one of the two will have to change which means either Capers or TT will have to go. Or if we really want to improve before Arod retires get rid of both.

I've always thought there was a disconnect between the draft and develop mentality of TT and a coordinator who espouses a overly complicated scheme. Last week was a prime example of the many blown coverages and personnel confusion we've seen over the years. (Remember when Tramon Williams said it was too complicated?) Speed and a simpler scheme allows players to react and play more naturally. One could also argue this is why we have a trend in injuries.

Interesting statistic: Dom's first two years he had a 2nd ranked defense. His last seven: 25th, 8th, 31st, 16th, 9th, 20th, and currently 23rd... an average of 19th. There is no improvement trend, and when you look at these numbers it is apparent this scheme is going to result in no better than an average NFL defense. That will not, and has not, worked if the goal is the SB.
Which is why 3 years ago I wanted them to pursue Pat Narduzzi, he sucks as a HC but his defensive scheme/ DC skills are perfect. 4-3 over with simpler coverage and attack mentality. Very solid vs spread sets.

Great post !!

Back