Packer Defense- Is it Really Barry?

ChampionshipBelt

Reaction score
I want everyone to know I am not giving Barry a pass by any means but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to include Gutey and his drafting of defensive players in the conversation.

Gutey has had 6 years of drafts now. While he has drafted well with certain positions like QB (yes I am including Love at this point), OLB, WR, and offensive line he has not really done well at Safety, CB (Just Jaire), ILB, and defensive line on defense. Yes, he has gotten some FA's to fill in those gaps at times but we still have a ton of concerns.

This defense has a lot of round 1 draft picks but who has really lived up to a round 1 pick?

Gary- Seems to have done so
Savage- No
Jaire- Yes at times (Inconsistent)
Stokes- Undetermined
Walker- Inconsistent so far
Wyatt- Has not really played but did not show great against the Falcons
Van Ness- Undetermined

None of these guys have been awesome. Jaire has at times but has been inconsistent and Gary has but has also been part time and was injured last year. My point is we are ripping on Barry which he absolutely deserves; however, I think we should be including Gutey in this conversation. He has not done a wonderful job of drafting talent and making this defense top 10. Especially, when he has drafted seven round 1 guys in 6 years on defense.

Also, someone mentioned that the Packers are not a physical team. Well isn't that on Gutey as well with drafting speed guys and not physical players.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I think the talent is there. I just think you need to scheme to fit the talent you got. Barry is set in his ways. He has a scheme that he runs and won't change it. That's why you he needs to go. Should have done it after last year. How bad the D played there was zero reason he should have gotten another chance to come back. Bring in someone else who can say ok these are the players you have. This is what I want to run to best use the players talents. You either have to draft players to fit the scheme or create a scheme to fit the players. GB has invested to much to start drafting players to fit a scheme so you need to crate a scheme to fit the players we already have.

Maybe not used a pretty high first round draft pick on a guy who never started in college. I'm not saying Van Ness is a bust. I just doubt he's going to be a big time impact player that overly concerns opponents

This defense is ok. They were just worn down. Any clock drainage at all and we win. Let's see how this looks, going forward.

Remember two years ago, this defense was getting stops.

Maybe not used a pretty high first round draft pick on a guy who never started in college. I'm not saying Van Ness is a bust. I just doubt he's going to be a big time impact player that overly concerns opponents
Iowa though starts seniors. Van Ness still played a lot of snaps. Just a thing they believe in at Iowa.

Last edited:
I want everyone to know I am not giving Barry a pass by any means but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to include Gutey and his drafting of defensive lineman in the conversation.

Gutey has had 6 years of drafts now. While he has drafted well with certain positions like QB (yes I am including Love at this point), OLB, WR, and offensive line he has not really done well at Safety, CB (Just Jaire), ILB, and defensive line on defense. Yes, he has gotten some FA's to fill in those gaps at times but we still have a ton of concerns.

This defense has a lot of round 1 draft picks but who has really lived up to a round 1 pick?

Gary- Seems to have done so
Savage- No
Jaire- Yes at times (Inconsistent)
Stokes- Undetermined
Walker- Inconsistent so far
Wyatt- Has not really played but did not show great against the Falcons
Van Ness- Undetermined

None of these guys have been awesome. Jaire has at times but has been inconsistent and Gary has but has also been part time and was injured last year. My point is we are ripping on Barry which he absolutely deserves; however, I think we should be including Gutey in this conversation. He has not done a wonderful job of drafting talent and making this defense top 10. Especially, when he has drafted seven round 1 guys in 6 years on defense.

Also, someone mentioned that the Packers are not a physical team. Well isn't that on Gutey as well with drafting speed guys and not physical players.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Go research his scheme at Washington and Detroit.... The Lions fans laughed their butt off when we hired him. Schematically it's a disaster.

Joe Barry needs to stop thinking he is so much smarter than the other guy. Stop the run, first and foremost. When he get them in 3rd and long mix it up. Bring pressure. Drop Preston or Gary into a short zone and let the CB or LB blitz.

Jim Leonard was great at WI. You knew he was going to rush 4 but you never knew which 4 it was going to be. Then he would bring pressure on 3rd and long and make the QB get rid of the ball right away and trusted his D to make the tackle.

It seems like Barry thinks he can scheme coverage to get an incompletion. That doesn’t work at this level. Give a QB enough time and let him get comfortable and you are going to get crushed.

Go research his scheme at Washington and Detroit.... The Lions fans laughed their butt off when we hired him. Schematically it's a disaster.

Mark,

I agree and I want to clarify that I think Barry needs to go. I guess I just think it is worth it to include Gute in this as well since his drafting of D players has been less than stellar, IMO.

Back