Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

I know this is gonna sound nutty but I'm so dang leery about any of these high priced contracts. I know it's just part of the norm in the league but with all the injuries and dead cap space this team has had, it just leaves me a little gun shy. That is not to say that Gary is not deserving. If he hit the open market, someone would pay him handsomely for sure so I get it. I'm just hoping he stays healthy and he can produce at a high level in this defense.
This happens all the time when administrations run a little scared about their jobs. They pour money into it, hoping they've fixed a problem. We watched it with Sherman. He kept stealing from one area to shore up another, financially. At least Thompson didn't do that. I miss his being thrifty when it mattered.

Of course, when you're thrifty, and you don't win it all, you're accused of being a miser, and costing a team a chance of winning, and fans want to roast you for that. Either way, overspend, or being tight, you're gonna get roasted.

@KenIngalls

With his new extension, Rashan Gary enters 2024 with only the 6th highest salary cap hit on the Packers.He is behind players who have been repeatedly backloaded & restructured in David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander, Aaron Jones, and Preston Smith

Though you figure Bak, Jones, Smith, and maybe even Clark are gone before 2024.

okay, i will be the negative ned.

packers are paying gary elite money for above average production against one team with a winning record this season:
- hurries 5 (32nd in nfl)
- pressures 13 (28th)
- sacks 4.5 (34th)

okay, i will be the negative ned.

packers are paying gary elite money for above average production against one team with a winning record this season:
- hurries 5 (32nd in nfl)
- pressures 13 (28th)
- sacks 4.5 (34th)
I haven't really followed his career as closely as some but I've had those thoughts and wondered why everyone has been so enamored with him, especially even mentioning his name in the same breath as Bosa. Is it potential? Hype? I'm not sure but he got him a nice contract and we'll see how dominant he can be in this defense.

It took Gary a long time to learn how to play in the NFL. One of the rubs on him coming out of college was that he didn't play hard all the time. Kinda lazy?

I saw a lot of good things in him, but worried about those tags. At first, it looked like they were the case.

To a point, he's proved that wrong. Or is it that he's worked hard enough to get the guaranteed money, and will now revert to being pedestrian in his play?

As you can plainly see, I ain't no computer nerd.

I think he's dead on with this. Those classes were awful and the guys still playing, with the exception of Love, are in their spots more or less through inertia or by default.

This ain't making me feel any better about Gutey and the talent evaluators

This ain't making me feel any better about Gutey and the talent evaluators
He's had some hits and notable misses in 2018 and 2019, 2020 and 2021 are disasters, 2022 and 2023 seem like back to hits and misses but IMO both recent drafts looking pretty good. But like Ken said, those 3rd and 4th year guys should be up and coming center pieces and they aren't and will not be. Not a single person deserving of a second contract right now from those classes. Now your more recent 1st and 2nd year guys are being counted on to do what the older and more experienced guys should be doing.

As to Gute, I can take him or leave him. He's not the best but I can envisage way WAY worse. Just imagine Russ Ball running the draft, we were not that far off from that hideous reality. Careful what you wish for, it's really about who makes that hiring decision.

He's had some hits and notable misses in 2018 and 2019, 2020 and 2021 are disasters, 2022 and 2023 seem like back to hits and misses but IMO both recent drafts looking pretty good. But like Ken said, those 3rd and 4th year guys should be up and coming center pieces and they aren't and will not be. Not a single person deserving of a second contract right now from those classes. Now your more recent 1st and 2nd year guys are being counted on to do what the older and more experienced guys should be doing.

As to Gute, I can take him or leave him. He's not the best but I can envisage way WAY worse. Just imagine Russ Ball running the draft, we were not that far off from that hideous reality. Careful what you wish for, it's really about who makes that hiring decision.
Amen brother! Of course neither of us are giving Gutey awards either.

Back