Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

There are 9 safeties on the roster (does not include Tariq Carpenter who is being moved to LB). Savage isn’t going anywhere. They paid Rudy Ford. Anthony Johnson is a draft pick. Leavitt is a Richie B-Bro. That’s 4. Maybe they keep 5 - that’s 5 guys fighting for 1 spot, including Owens. No way he’s a lock or even a likely.

I think they may opt to have a hybrid S/CB, just like Carpenter being a S/LB. It gives them some depth, and also options that they can use to offset certain offensive packages they're going to see. Just an opinion here, but I do think Owens has a strong chance of being there because he doesn't miss tackles, which is going to be essential this year.

I think they may opt to have a hybrid S/CB, just like Carpenter being a S/LB. It gives them some depth, and also options that they can use to offset certain offensive packages they're going to see. Just an opinion here, but I do think Owens has a strong chance of being there because he doesn't miss tackles, which is going to be essential this year.
I think he and Moore are the front runners for the last spot - both have starting experience and some production.

Personally I’ve had enough of hybrid players in the secondary for one lifetime, please and thank you. Once every five years in the league along comes a Bobby Wagner or a Derwin James but for the most part these “hybrid” guys just don’t do anything well enough to stick.

There are 9 safeties on the roster (does not include Tariq Carpenter who is being moved to LB). Savage isn’t going anywhere. They paid Rudy Ford. Anthony Johnson is a draft pick. Leavitt is a Richie B-Bro. That’s 4. Maybe they keep 5 - that’s 5 guys fighting for 1 spot, including Owens. No way he’s a lock or even a likely.

At this point, I'm not sure anyone is a lock other than Savage because his salary is guaranteed . . . and maybe Anthony Johnson because Gute loves his draft picks. Agree that Rudy Ford ($50k bonus) seems likely along with Leavitt ($150k bonus) because of those bonuses and their value to Coach B, but you would also save $1.4mil and $1.5mil respectively in CAP by cutting them at some point, so I'm not sure they are so safe.

Not sure if 5 is the number or not. They lack depth at other positions to the point that maybe they can keep 6 safeties (or even 7) on the 53 man roster. I only see 4 cornerbacks worth a roster spot assuming Stokes starts on PUP. Only 5 on the D-line. The OLB and ILB positions are similarly fluid to the point where they may go with less on the 53 man and keep a few on the PS to be called up as needed.

The practice squad, with it's new rules, might be key to who they put on the roster. Cut the guys you think you can get on the PS, roster those who likely won't clear waivers.

Good. One step closer to seeing Biles do tumbling runs across Lambeau field.

You know, for a week or two now, this upcoming season is actually feeling so much more interesting and fun. It's nice to look forward to TC, the new guys, and watching Love develop. It feels like a black cloud has been lifted. heh.

gopackgo

Good. One step closer to seeing Biles do tumbling runs across Lambeau field.

You know, for a week or two now, this upcoming season is actually feeling so much more interesting and fun. It's nice to look forward to TC, the new guys, and watching Love develop. It feels like a black cloud has been lifted. heh.

gopackgo
The new Lambeau "leap" will be Simone Biles doing cartwheels and jumps/flips from goal line to goal line!

The Green Bay Packers signed TE Tucker Kraft and P Daniel Whelan, claimed C DJ Scaife off waivers from the Miami Dolphins and released CB Benjie Franklin. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Wednesday.
Kraft (6-5, 259) was selected by the Packers in the third round (No. 78 overall) of the 2023 NFL Draft out of South Dakota State.
Whelan (6-5, 216), a first-year player out of the University of California, Davis, entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the New Orleans Saints in May 2022 before being released by the Saints in late July. He played for the D.C. Defenders in 2023, earning All-XFL honors after ranking No. 3 in the league in both punting average (45.6) and punts inside the 20 (11). Whelan (wee-lan), a native of Ireland, finished his career at UC Davis (2017-21) ranked No. 1 in school history in punting average (44.0) and punts inside the 20 (86). He will wear No. 41 for the Packers.
Scaife (6-3, 321), a rookie out of the University of Miami, signed with the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent on May 12. He appeared in 61 games with 52 starts (32 at right tackle, 20 at right guard) during his five seasons (2018-22) with the Hurricanes, earning All-Atlantic Coast Conference honorable mention in 2022 and second-team All-ACC recognition in 2021. Scaife will wear No. 61 for the Packers.
Franklin spent the first six weeks of the 2022 season on Green Bay's practice squad and then re-signed with the Packers on Jan. 10, 2023.

Back