Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

I think the issue is that when Jones initially signed his extension, it really wasn't meant to last this long. It was "two years then we'll see". Two years came - that was last year - and they wanted him for another year, but they had to figure out how to make an intentionally backloaded contract palatable. To be clear, years 3-4 on that deal were never meant to be played out as is. They were dummy years meant to inflate the overall value, but of course to the player it looks like a big pay cut.
That would imply that his agent may not have fully explained the situation.

That would imply that his agent may not have fully explained the situation.

Listened to a podcast where they talked about this. I think that happens to a lot of players with a lot of contracts. The agents go out and negotiate the biggest APY deals they can get all the while knowing the last year or two of most bigger deals get pretty unpalatable from a CAP standpoint. The agents don't care because it looks good in the moment and they figure they'll redo the deal in a couple of years and collect another fee.

The player thinks he'll just get offered a new deal near the end with another bonus. That didn't happen here and Jones agent should have warned him right from the get-go this was likely to happen to a guy nearing 30, who is injured a fair bit, and has only been in the top-10 in rushing twice in 7 years. He just isn't a workhorse, high usage back so a near $20mil CAP hit was just too much for '24. Jones collected over $30mil from the Packers over the last 3 years, so it's not like he wasn't well compensated for that time.

The Packers should have done themselves a favor and not gushed over him so much when the season was over.

Listened to a podcast where they talked about this. I think that happens to a lot of players with a lot of contracts. The agents go out and negotiate the biggest APY deals they can get all the while knowing the last year or two of most bigger deals get pretty unpalatable from a CAP standpoint. The agents don't care because it looks good in the moment and they figure they'll redo the deal in a couple of years and collect another fee.

The player thinks he'll just get offered a new deal near the end with another bonus. That didn't happen here and Jones agent should have warned him right from the get-go this was likely to happen to a guy nearing 30, who is injured a fair bit, and has only been in the top-10 in rushing twice in 7 years. He just isn't a workhorse, high usage back so a near $20mil CAP hit was just too much for '24. Jones collected over $30mil from the Packers over the last 3 years, so it's not like he wasn't well compensated for that time.

The Packers should have done themselves a favor and not gushed over him so much when the season was over.
Agree 100% - very well stated!

Jones agent probably explained all the ramifications and possibilities related to Jones Packers contract and probably has a letter memorializing it.

In my experience, Clients - of all socio-economic and education levels - predominantly only look at the number.

I'll give Gute some credit. He has some big balls.

Drafting Love and moving up for him. Cutting Jonesy when everyone thought he was back and we would extend him but he didn't. (Big fan favorite) Moving on from AR a HOF QB. Cutting Bak after an unfortunate knee injury derailed him. (Fan favorite again)

You need a GM that can make those difficult decisions; otherwise, you will not stay competitive. Gute has made them the last few years and that is why this team is young and looks like they could be very competitive the next few years.

I'll give Gute some credit. He has some big balls.

Drafting Love and moving up for him. Cutting Jonesy when everyone thought he was back and we would extend him but he didn't. (Big fan favorite) Moving on from AR a HOF QB. Cutting Bak after an unfortunate knee injury derailed him. (Fan favorite again)

You need a GM that can make those difficult decisions; otherwise, you will not stay competitive. Gute has made them the last few years and that is why this team is young and looks like they could be very competitive the next few years.
Yeah the homer fans will always hate on the guy because he makes unpopular choices like moving on from fan favorite instead of letting the player hang around until they decide to call it quits. If he ran the team how those fans wanted we would have a team of old washed up players

Oldest Packer on the roster is Preston Smith at 31. No one else over 28 years old.

Back