Packers Free Agency Rumors: Tight end Jared Cook visits Green Bay

They'd have to draft one pretty high, wouldn't they? I understand this draft isn't very deep for good TE's. Would Hunter Henry still be there for Ted in the 2nd? Would TT even draft him? Can never tell with Ted.

I was thinking the same thing. This isn't a banner year for TEs in this draft. It would be nice to get a veteran TE and then address other needs in the upcoming draft.

It is surprising Cook left town without a deal. I wonder - did we decide not to make an offer in the end, are they still ironing out details or did Cook balk at the offer? If he did he might have a long wait for employment by somebody else.

Though you figure if Cook came in and left without signing it means either the Packers did not like what they saw which is doubtful or more likely they made a offer that Cook refused. What is Cook asking and will TT be wiling to raise his offer now that is the question.

Though you figure if Cook came in and left without signing it means either the Packers did not like what they saw which is doubtful or more likely they made a offer that Cook refused. What is Cook asking and will TT be wiling to raise his offer now that is the question.
I doubt he made the trip without parameters of a deal being discussed. My gut is an offer was not made. Just part of the evaluation process. If reports are true we tried to trade for the guy we knew what we had talent wise.

My guess is that with his reported "poor hands" that maybe they figured that they may as well work with a rookie that has better hands than someone who has a reputation for not catching the ball. If they brought him in, I would think they worked him out. Just my guess.

The other issue is that you have almost no control of the draft. Sure, you can say you'll draft one until they get snatched up just as you find value. It would be a stretch to take one in Rd 1. It would not be a stretch to think both Henry and Hooper are gone by the time we get to our pick in Rd 2. Do you reach?

That's why I'd cover my bases. Cook may not be the answer long-term, but if you can get a couple of years out of him on a deal without too much guarantee where is the harm? It allows you to potentially skip TE in a draft that is fairly weak at the position and take the best players no matter the position. Deal with TE in the draft next year if it doesn't fall your way this year. If it does, take one. Still no harm. Keep the best 3-4 of them. TT has had rosters with 4 in the past. Keep Rodgers, Cook, Rookie and Backmann/Perillo.

Plus with Raji off the table, you now have another pretty sizable hole to fill (pun intended). You just might want to use those first 3 picks on DT/NT, ILB and OT. The TEs available in Rd 4 or later have even more warts than the early guys and will likely need to some to develop. So you still haven't solved the TE issue for 2016 even if you do draft one. Find a FA. Heck, grab Owen Daniels on the cheap and hope he can help you for a year.

So hey was just thinking makes sense for Cook to want to sign here now that the guy who wore 89 likely won't be back in GB next season. LOL

Cook has the natural ability to be a top 10 TE in the league, but he drops way too many easy passes and likes to take plays off. That said, I'm all for giving him a 1-yr "prove it" deal. He's also a pretty underrated blocker.

If a player leaves without a contract isn't it a given that they can't agree on $ or the Packers don't think he would fit in.

Honestly if he was reported to have good hands I would be up for signing him, but if all he can do is run but can't catch the ball. What's the point?

rams-gif.gif

I wonder what would happen if he tried this with Aaron?

Back