Packers have released RB Knile Davis

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet
The #Packers have released RB Knile Davis, source said. That’s a bit of a surprise.

Bye bye...Conditional pick they no longer owe KC.

Well, it was clear he wasn't an answer imho. No ability to make cuts. Not a zone read kind of guy. He's essentially a kick-off returner who can spell a 3rd down back in emergency situations. We haven't had a 3rd down back (well, apparently, it's now Ripkowski) and we have capable returners in Janis and Davis. Address another need.

More importantly, how bad is Richard Rodgers? He really is not a starter caliber player. To me, he's a PS candidate. His blocking is worse than Barclay's.

Offense has been better since cutting Rodgers' snaps.

Fair or not, Davis wasn't doing it and staff must've seen enough.

The Packers used the quick passes to offset the loss of their running game. When the Falcons adjusted to cover them, at halftime, McCarthy had absolutely no plan on how to take advantage of the fact their defense had been modified. Not once did I see a stop and go with a fake on the short pass, and not once did I see a receiver run a skinny post because their deep backs were out of position. Instead, McCarthy kept working those sidelines as if any pass inside the hash marks was an automatic INT. I'm sorry! You need a coach who has a 60 minute plan that's adjustable, not someone who seems content to win "the first half of a game." Knile Davis, any real RB, not a bit important in the system we were using. Ripkowski was all they needed back there, and it made room for an extra TE or WR, on every play.

We can blame the defense for this loss, but let's face it. One more effective drive for points by the offense, at any time during the second half, and we win. Let's not get hung up on one series of downs that failed on defense.

We can blame the defense for this loss, but let's face it. One more effective drive for points by the offense, at any time during the second half, and we win. Let's not get hung up on one series of downs that failed on defense.

One more defensive stop and we win the game too. I get what you are saying but the team put up 32 points. That should be enough to win any football game unless your defense gives up 33.

One more defensive stop and we win the game too. I get what you are saying but the team put up 32 points. That should be enough to win any football game unless your defense gives up 33.

You're absolutely right. One more stop was all it would take. They did give up a lot of points, but it wasn't above the average that the Falcons were scoring all year. I've always reserved part of my judgment to relate to how well the Packers did against the opposition in comparison to what the opposition normally does, in other games.

Many years ago, I was coaching a team that quite honestly wasn't that great, even though we were in the hunt for a championship. We'd been winning games simply because our kids outplayed the opposition, not because of our coaching job, or us having more talent. Our team was disciplined.

It came down to one game for the championship. Our team and the other team were both unbeaten. They won games playing defense, with not much offense. A couple of TDs was enough for them to win all year long. The competition was averaging about 6 points a game against them. We came into the game averaging over 35 per game, but were giving up at least two TDs per game. In fact, we gave up 32 in one game, and still won.

We practiced defense the entire week. All except for the first and last days of practice. On those days, we added an additional 30 minutes teaching the kids two plays, with variations off them. Daffy Duck, and Donald Duck. It was complete offsets of the lines to one side or the other, and all we had was an end, center, and QB, on one side. We used each of the two variations twice, and scored four TDs, and won the game 27 to 21. Their coach was livid, saying we cheated, and that what we did was against the rules. It wasn't. In fact, because it was such a change from the normal, I showed the officials the plays in diagrams, and showed them in the rule books where it was legal, just to insure they didn't blow a whistle when it shouldn't have been blown.

The point is, we out-schemed a team that was much better than we were, and beat them. When we scored all four TDs in the 4th quarter, after they were ahead 21-0, and already celebrating, it was easier, because they lost sight of their goal. When it was over, their HC wouldn't even shake hands with us. Every time we ran the plays, we scored a TD. The shortest was 23 yards. Sometimes you just have to go out of your comfort zone to find what works.

This makes no sense. Guys like Janis, Goodson, name just about anyone on the DL, are given a free pass for years. With other guys it's all "oh MMs offense is complicated, guys need time to learn... yadda yadda yadda.." Davis comes in, gets dumped into having to play mid season without the benefit of a camp, and in 3 weeks and he's out?

Something doesn't add up here. We all know of many players who clearly should have been cut due to lack of talent/potential or whatever that MM has kept around.

I feel for Davis, they kind of screwed him over. Looks like he was never part of their long term plans. He wasn't given the chance to show much. Now I'm wondering who exactly pushed for and made this trade? Was this really MM and his staff? Did MM want someone else but TT and front office decided Davis would be better? It's a very un Packer like move. I'd expect this sort of thing from Belichik.

Like I said this doesn't add up. Something really screwy going on in the front office right now. Or was this trade pure desperation? MMs statement upon the trade was interesting, are TT and MM even on the same page anymore?

Last edited:
They like what they see in Rip for now. Monty and Starks will be back soon. Davis wouldn't be here after the season, and TT loves his picks.

I don't get cutting Davis right now, but I think the Packers were desperate to save their season and the RB options were limited. Davis had issues coming out of college. He had some moments in KC, but they were clearly willing to part with him mid-season with no guarantee of any return. He certainly had no value for them either.

Maybe Davis was the best they could get working the phones but once he was here, they found he really didn't add anything. Why give up a draft choice for a guy who's not adding anything and who you can re-sign at vet minimum in the off-season if you think he'll contribute at some point if he has a whole off-season to work with your coaches.

While I'm a little puzzled, I don't really see anything "off" about why he was let go. Was there any evidence that he was or would contribute even as minimally as Janis, Goodson, Pennell, Guion, etc? He did not add much as a runner and they already had return guys, and he did not contribute otherwise to special teams. I just don't think they saw anything that made them think he would contribute this season.

Back