Packers will hire Pettine as defensive coordinator

Pettine is a different kind of coach then Dom
What are you basing that on ??... he was last a DC in Buffalo in 2013 - 4 seasons ago. Point being we need to get on the field vs other teams in August before we know what we got. Everything now is based on pure speculation both pro and con.

What are you basing that on ??... he was last a DC in Buffalo in 2013 - 4 seasons ago. Point being we need to get on the field vs other teams in August before we know what we got. Everything now is based on pure speculation both pro and con.

all coaches are different. styles, approach, motivation, hands on, age, background. the list goes on. Pettine started as an Offensive coach I believe Dom has always been D. This team could use a shot in the arm and its pretty clear Pettine brings a higher energy approach then DC. Ill take a younger firey guy right now over an older guy with a stale d. (im not knocking anyones age here) Jim Leonhard called him a hard ass. this team needs that IMO but yes its speculation on this.

Pettine may not have been a DC since 13 but that's not saying he hasn't been involved in coaching. (Clev and last yr working with the seahawks)

It isn't August but what we have is change from the same old mess we had. We have new coaches from all different backgrounds. Point being that is different to what with in house last year.

all coaches are different. styles, approach, motivation, hands on, age, background. the list goes on. Pettine started as an Offensive coach I believe Dom has always been D. This team could use a shot in the arm and its pretty clear Pettine brings a higher energy approach then DC. Ill take a younger firey guy right now over an older guy with a stale d. (im not knocking anyones age here) Jim Leonhard called him a hard ass. this team needs that IMO but yes its speculation on this.

Pettine may not have been a DC since 13 but that's not saying he hasn't been involved in coaching. (Clev and last yr working with the seahawks)

It isn't August but what we have is change from the same old mess we had. We have new coaches from all different backgrounds. Point being that is different to what with in house last year.

You are correct they are all different. I've been coaching along time. However I've done a lot of research on Coach P the last few weeks. While he says the right things they don't always match schematically match what he does. I particularly took exception to his comments regarding base defense and sub packages in regards to the lack of importance of being in base as a strength and not wanting to label his base.

He's a fan of scheming around his athletic players on defense and not necessarily finding the players to fit into his scheme. I am telling from many years of trial and error that his concept only works some of the time.
I understand your excitement but don't be surprised if there are struggles particularly early next season.

Just my two cents

I particularly took exception to his comments regarding base defense and sub packages in regards to the lack of importance of being in base as a strength and not wanting to label his base.

That is a MM company line, he's been coached to say it. It's MM's standard response when GB D would get caught with its pants down with 1 DL on the field or some other goofy situation.

I like Pettine but it should be clearer than ever who is running the show on D, considering that MM hired all his assistants.

Anything is better than Capers ! Cripes a dead body in the booth could out scheme that old buzzard. What you can't fix in one off season is some of that crap personal Ted brought in. I expect a better defense but I am not going to throw Old Style cans at the TV when we play top offensive teams as I expect trouble at least another season. Now back to Ice Fishing !

well we cant struggle any worse then what we have been rofl(

Yes I am excited and it is premature but his track record as a DC says otherwise about his concepts only working some of the time. He has always had a top 10 d as a dc. The browns defenses when he was a HC were pretty decent also. (cant remember their overall ranking but his pass d was top 3 I believe)

Im sure their will be bumps in the road and we might struggle at times. I also agree we need to add more talent and get better play makers on both sides of the ball. But this offseason has already shown that what we have been doing isn't cutting it and changes were made. Change isn't a bad thing. IMO the players needed and were ready for change also. We cant go much lower so here to rising up thumbsup

Paraphrasing here..... "We're going to adapt our offense and defense to meet the ability of our players."

If there is one thing that we can call a positive change, regardless of who they brought in, this would be it.

Makes me happy! bouncy

You are correct they are all different. I've been coaching along time. However I've done a lot of research on Coach P the last few weeks. While he says the right things they don't always match schematically match what he does. I particularly took exception to his comments regarding base defense and sub packages in regards to the lack of importance of being in base as a strength and not wanting to label his base.

He's a fan of scheming around his athletic players on defense and not necessarily finding the players to fit into his scheme. I am telling from many years of trial and error that his concept only works some of the time.
I understand your excitement but don't be surprised if there are struggles particularly early next season.

Just my two cents

I have to say the overall rankings from Football Outsiders are very good for six of his years. but his pass D relies on a pass rush the Packers don't have right now. Without bolstering it, I think its Capers redux. There will be a bump due to unfamiliarity for at least the first eight games.

Back