Post Game Bucs Defeat Packers 31-26

Lots of blame to go around. Yet, I'm going to say that our argument will go nowhere, because making it all the way to that game will guarantee pretty much that everyone's job will be safe. I projected the score as 31-27 Bucs, and I was only one point off. I just don't see us as being good enough to put up 30+ points against good teams. I also don't see us as prepared defensively to put pressure on an upper tier QB who can read defenses, and get through more than 2 of his reads on routes.

We're vulnerable on both sides of the ball, and that can only be improved in FA and the draft.

I don't expect either to help us to be honest. I get the impression that they're going to be about the same next year. Not the bride, but a bridesmaid.

After a nights sleep and two cups of coffee here's what I got:

Agree with ML, woulda, coulda, shoulda gets you nowhere folks. The Whining and bitching over a coach that went 26-6 the past 2 years is comical. He got a lot out of what the front office gave him.

The defense is slow as molasses in the middle the same as the past 5 years, we only have one solid CB and our depth is just meh. On Offense, we need a #2 WR badly and no that isn't Lazard or MVS. So why the hell isn't anybody on Gute's hinder ????

The big talk is #12, it should be. He admittedly called the play at the goal line on 3rd down before the FG?? Why? Enough with his majesty thinking he knows better, enough with his sulking on the sidelines and his whiney crap after a loss. Run the play from the sideline unless they change the defense.

Stop worrying about your "MVP stats" and be a leader. 1-4 in these games isn't going to cut it Aaron.

All we need is a home game for the NFC championship... been hearing that forever. Yeah okay, that was a bunch of hokie bologna too.

I say again a lot of soul searching in GB the next 60 days. How it plays out will be very very interesting.
And enough with the cold weather favors GB stuff too....

Agree 100 percent on the Gutey thing.

Elephant In the room is how bad does the FO want another SB trophy or the status qou and a hefty profit.

Last edited:
We should trade Aaron Rodgers to the Bears! LOL

Am I the only one who feels this was the last chance for the Super Bowl window? We are set to lose several key free agents. I don't expect Rodgers to have a career year again. It felt like this was just a year that came together perfect and in the end the Packers blew their chance. At this point you might get another year or two of getting to the playoffs but I can't see the Packers making it to the Super Bowl. If Rodgers does retire all it does is starts the rebuild clock now instead of a year or two from now. Also fans are going to have to accept that hard times are ahead. We have had 29 seasons of HOF QB play though sadly only 3 trips to the SB in that time which is also a huge failure. We could now be looking back to the 70s and 80s were we see losing seasons be common for a while. Key thing will be how Gute reacts. If he can't find ways to scout and draft the right talent we could be basement of the division like Detroit has been for 25 years. As fans we have been spoiled and at some point we will have to look to NE to see our future that at some point all good things must end.

This one hurts a lot more than the last two, because this year I really believe wasn't a mismatch. Not like Atlanta in 2016 or SF last year, where we were outclassed and blown off the field. GB was as good as Tampa. Harder matchups, sure, but it's the NFCC, you are going to play against a really good team. And of course you can sit there and say, if only we had this kind of player or that... but despite all that, they were in position to win. They had so many opportunities to take over the game and they just didn't get it done.

Like I said earlier, they are 1-4 in NFCC games with Rodgers. 0-4 in the last 10 years. 2 coaching staffs. There was some major, major legacy stuff on the line here, mostly for Rodgers, and I get why he looked despondent after the game. He can blame whoever he wants, but deep down inside I think he knows he left the plays out there. It can't always be someone else's fault when one of the only players to appear in those 4 losses was you.

I said, early in the game thread, that if the Packers could just execute plays they could avoid their typical 3rd quarter letdown.
Well, they played very well in the 3rd quarter for a change!
But they still didn’t execute plays that could have won that game.
Adams and Lazard both had big drops that could have been scores, Rodgers never looks at a wide open Lazard on 3rd and goal, ESB drops a 2pt conversion, and then there is the winter storm named Kevin King who nearly singlehandedly ended the Packers season.
In games of this magnitude you just can’t afford to leave plays on the field.

Duds in order:

1) Pettine: should have been fired last year. 2 debacles worse than Capers now. At least Capers kept it real for 57 minutes in 2014. That melt down began with the special teams coach, which was on MM ultimately. But Pettine was fully responsible for giving up ANY points but especially 7 to end the half. The pieces are there just not the DC.

2) refs I don't even know what the rules are any more esp for holding and pass interference. Rigged??

3) MLF -- He is still young. Great coach during regular season. Can he win post season?

4) Where was the pressure? Was it Pettine or the players -- though the Bucs do have a great Oline. I want to review this game.

5) Davante drops the ball

Studs:

Clark -- he can bring it post season

Jaire -- a good DC could have this squad top five easy.

MVS -- gonna figure all out next year

Random things and thoughts post mortem
  • GB was outscored 48-10 in the first half in the NFCCG in 2020 & 2021. That’s unacceptable. That’s on game planning and prep, both sides of the ball
  • The 4th & goal call from the 8 is one of the most asinine decisions I’ve seen. Even with a miss, Bucs are backed up & GB has 3 timeouts and 2 minute warning Punt & short field with time left. If they get it but miss 2pt, still 3 TOs to & 2 min to get ball back & kick a FG for a win. Egregious decision. The FG still makes you score 6
  • Defense gave you 3 INT’s but the offense went 3 and out. Can’t win championships with that production
  • The talent level on this team is not top tier. You cannot blitz because you only have one CB that you can trust in man, LB are slow and other than Clark the DL is thin
  • We need a #2 WR who can be consistent. That person is not on the roster now
  • Z Smith is a nice piece but he’s not Chase Young or Bosa good that can change a game.
  • Rodgers is Rodgers. It’s a love hate relationship. Why he did not run the ball in late is at best confusing, he missed 13 clearly on the slant. But he drops dimes that keep you hooked. He’s at a crossroads now as is the organization
  • Watch David and White cover from sideline to sideline and then watching our group is sad. It’s not in the same league

Random things and thoughts post mortem
  • GB was outscored 48-10 in the first half in the NFCCG in 2020 & 2021. That’s unacceptable. That’s on game planning and prep, both sides of the ball
  • The 4th & goal call from the 8 is one of the most asinine decisions I’ve seen. Even with a miss, Bucs are backed up & GB has 3 timeouts and 2 minute warning Punt & short field with time left. If they get it but miss 2pt, still 3 TOs to & 2 min to get ball back & kick a FG for a win. Egregious decision. The FG still makes you score 6
I get your logic and opinion on the 4th down, all valid. On the other hand, I do get why he didn't go for it. 4th and goal from the 8, it's a long down and distance to convert and against that defense in that situation I think the playbook was probably a little limited. If they had gained anything on the previous 3 plays, I think they go for it on 4th because they'd just have more options. If Rodgers scrambled for 4-5 on the 3rd down play, they absolutely go. I know how bad it looks but I don't think it's nearly as egregious as punting on 4th and 1 in the 2003 game against Philly, or kicking the FG on 4th and very short against Seattle in 2014. As you said, on offense their personnel is limited when you really put them in a box. Without a #2 WR to win a matchup it's hard when the D knows your options are limited. And frankly, if not for Kevin King with that egregious penalty, the move was going to work. Really really tough, lots of questions all around either way.

As for your first comment about the points, that's just stunning. Talk about putting yourself in bad position to succeed...

The best part of yesterday, post game, was Mark saving me from myself. I apologize to all. I was heated after the game and that's odd for me at my age. I just felt like this was the best chance in a long time for this team to be in another Super Bowl.

Back