Post Game: Buffalo defeats Green Bay 27-17

Not just DL but Savage is a complete waste on defense. He has limited ability to cover and is soft. I get the issues at DL but he cannot fill the gap on run D either. Amos is serviceable but that group needs a influx of talent also
Yes, agree on both. And both are going to be gone next year so that's a big, impending black hole going into 2023.

Yes, agree on both. And both are going to be gone next year so that's a big, impending black hole going into 2023.
Not sure Savage is gone. He got a 5th year option @ $7m (approx). I guess technically they could extend him to get cap relief but personally that’s a mistake. Either eat $7m or he’s on the roster

Not sure Savage is gone. He got a 5th year option @ $7m (approx). I guess technically they could extend him to get cap relief but personally that’s a mistake. Either eat $7m or he’s on the roster
Oh I thought this was his fifth year. That was a bad move then

Word of caution on run game. Yes it was good to see and hopefully they keep momentum. But the Bills all but conceded the run to GB once they got the lead…

That said I hope the run game gave them some mojo back …. Lord knows this team isn’t gonna win through the air…

Interesting question that came up in shout last night. Was the heavy focus on the run game Arod not changing play as much?

Arod said that they had a lot of plays designed for Watson they couldn’t use. Seems odd you would heavily game plan for a guy who has never been able to stay healthy….

Word of caution on run game. Yes it was good to see and hopefully they keep momentum. But the Bills all but conceded the run to GB once they got the lead…

That said I hope the run game gave them some mojo back …. Lord knows this team isn’t gonna win through the air…

Interesting question that came up in shout last night. Was the heavy focus on the run game Arod not changing play as much?

Arod said that they had a lot of plays designed for Watson they couldn’t use. Seems odd you would heavily game plan for a guy who has never been able to stay healthy….
Considering all they previously ran for him was jet sweep action and go routes not sure heavily is the right word. Even adding 3-4 additional packages was “a lot”

What is it with this guy, is it him or are they not using him right? The way I see it he has the physical traits of a free safety but does a poor job of tracking the ball in mid air, which is kind of a deal breaker. I think he plays better around the line but isn't instinctive filling gaps in the run game which is also kind of a deal breaker. So what's the best spot for him to maximize that $7m?

What is it with this guy, is it him or are they not using him right? The way I see it he has the physical traits of a free safety but does a poor job of tracking the ball in mid air, which is kind of a deal breaker. I think he plays better around the line but isn't instinctive filling gaps in the run game which is also kind of a deal breaker. So what's the best spot for him to maximize that $7m?

Maybe slot?

Or maybe a spot on his couch at home eating chips. :)

Defensively, the biggest weakness is unfortunately the middle of the field - Amos has lost a step and Savage just isn't a starting caliber NFL safety. Campbell hasn't been the same player that he was last season but he's been ok, and while I still think Walker is going to be a really good every down LB he's getting picked on schematically by teams letting his athleticism run himself out of position. Also, the Dline hasn't played nearly as well upfront as I had hoped.

And as many others seem to feel, the Packer defensive personnel doesn't seem to be a good fit for the passive scheme Barry wants to run.

Offensively, the line that was routinely viewed as a team strength almost independent of the personnel on it is now a sieve and in constant flux due to injury/injury recovery/bad play. Have to think a big reason why this is happening is coaching since the personnel isn't all that different, and the off season staff overhaul after coordinator and QB coaches left for promotions at other organizations - even if those guys aren't setting the world on fire in their new roles elsewhere, they had a good thing going here and I think moving Stenavich up to OC has created coaching problems at the Oline position group. They just seem to be ill prepared, blowing assignments much more than being physically beaten.

There is a fine line between being really good and an afterthought in the NFL, and this year's version of the Packers looks like they're an afterthought. I think it makes a ton of sense for the Packers to try and deal Aaron Jones to a team in a better position for the postseason if there's any interest today, in effort to try and start getting in front of yet another year of salary cap pain and to try and gather some more draft capital.

I honestly don't see how Rodgers would want to be back here in 2023 unless he's just wanting to continue cashing checks, so it could be a heavy rebuild offseason where the 2023 season is primarily spent cutting vets and sacrificing a year to rid themselves of cap problems while giving Love a season+ to make a case that he's a long term answer with this group of young receivers. If it all goes completely off the rails, then the Packers become an attractive spot for a new GM/coach combo in 2024 after picking a new franchise QB and starting from scratch.

The Packers D missed a season high 16 tackles last night.

This defense is a dumpster fire.
I'm not high on Barry, but one of our biggest problems all year has been tackling. That's on the guys playing defense, not the coach.

Stokes never tackles in run-support. Savage is pretty useless. Campbell is not tackling like he did last year. Amos is missing tackles.

Every 4 yard run becomes an 8 yard run. An 8 yard run becomes a 22 yard run.

The first thing I'd do is replace Savage with Rudy Ford. That guy flies around like a missile. He has deficiencies in pass coverage, but he can tackle.

There's a reason that the replacement ILBs weren't noticeably bad. They made some tackles. Maybe a demotion will wake up the defense.

Back