Post Game: Falcons run by GB 25-24

Not sure I can add anything that hasn't already been said. Young team, down key players and they held it close. Don't get me started on Barry and that defense but I'm liking what I'm seeing, so far, from Love. Like HH said above, I'm just trying to enjoy the growth from this young team and remember we're gonna see more of these types of games. No game is a gimme this year. Each one, hopefully, builds on the next and we see continued development and consistency.

Here is my take:

Dillion is just a guy and is fine for short yardage
My only nitpick CB is that this isn't even true. Dillon is not a home run threat, he's not a pass catching threat, he also can't get it done in short yardage. What exactly does he get paid for in GB?

One of my gripes with ML is that there have been a number of guys who have legit played their way off the roster and yet still get snaps over other guys with more potential or more to prove. They held AJ Dillon out of pre-season like he was some sort of vital cog in the offense - what has he done to deserve that? The other two RBs behind him are better than he is. I said last week they needed to get those other two guys more touches and nothing has changed my mind - I I like Taylor more in short yardage than Dillon. Royce Newman is another one, he's shown exactly who he is, not a NFL player. There is still some of this country club atmosphere in GB, it takes a long long time for anyone to fear for their jobs (and that includes defensive coaching personnel).

My keys to the season were the defense and kicking game. We'll, the kicking game held up its end. The defense regressed back to its usual self, and cost them the game.

Now, there were a few non-defensive things that contributed. Like that bone-headed mess of a field goal attempt. Maybe that's on the holder, in which case the kicking game did let them down, but MLF needs to be more aware as well and call a time out. Then he compounds that by punting. Geez, have some grit and let him try from 56 yards. Carlson been good so far and has the leg to make it from there.

The offense didn't help them out either late, as there were no sustained drives at all in the 4th quarter. Gonna happen with a young team with a young QB.

The good: Love's composure and leadership. Reed. Carlson. Wicks. Walker and Nijman. Clark and Wyatt despite the defense looking like crap.

The bad: Run defense. Rashan Gary over-pursuing every damn time and losing contain regularly. The dropped INTs. AJ Dillon. Another bungled time clock problem - gotta stop and MLF needs to own it and fix it. The bungled QB sneak. Joe Barry. The stupid kick-off returns from deep in the end zone.

The "if we just made this play, this play or this play, it changes everything" argument could be made in almost any game. Yeah, Ridder made some mistakes that we didn't take advantage of. Love also threw one in the 4th on 3rd down that could have been a pick 6.

I just think when you allow 450 yards and are, as our own HC put it, "gashed consistently" on the ground all day, you don't have a very good case for saying you played well enough to win. We lost, and there's plenty that went into that. Both sides caught some breaks at times, as NFL games go.

Do I think we can beat Atlanta? Sure, being at full strength would help, but we have to do much better stopping the run.

Moving on to the Saints.

I know numbers and analytics can be misleading but to me it mostly jives with the eyeball test, you really couldn't ask for a better start for the guy, especially considering two games on the road, both without the team's No. 1 receiver and game changing deep threat, and the other without his starting LT and starting RB. Team has problems and depth issues and some play calling/execution issues and Love has not been 2020 Aaron Rodgers but on the whole he is right where he needs to be.

My only nitpick CB is that this isn't even true. Dillon is not a home run threat, he's not a pass catching threat, he also can't get it done in short yardage. What exactly does he get paid for in GB?

One of my gripes with ML is that there have been a number of guys who have legit played their way off the roster and yet still get snaps over other guys with more potential or more to prove. They held AJ Dillon out of pre-season like he was some sort of vital cog in the offense - what has he done to deserve that? The other two RBs behind him are better than he is. I said last week they needed to get those other two guys more touches and nothing has changed my mind - I I like Taylor more in short yardage than Dillon. Royce Newman is another one, he's shown exactly who he is, not a NFL player. There is still some of this country club atmosphere in GB, it takes a long long time for anyone to fear for their jobs (and that includes defensive coaching personnel).

Point taken, RP. And I agree with everything you said.

One other thing to add. Nixon needs to be told to stop being stupid and bringing out kick offs from 10 yards deep. He cost us at least 20 yards of field position on two that he brought out. I hope Bisaccia is not telling him he can decide to make that decision because that is just idiotic.

Point taken, RP. And I agree with everything you said.

One other thing to add. Nixon needs to be told to stop being stupid and bringing out kick offs from 10 yards deep. He cost us at least 20 yards of field position on two that he brought out. I hope Bisaccia is not telling him he can decide to make that decision because that is just idiotic.
Yeah absolutely with Nixon. That's hidden yardage, I didn't count but I'd guess his decision making cost them ~15-20 yards of field position over the game. Not insignificant.

Back