Post Game: Raiders beat Packers 17-13

Jones needs to be healthy to help take pressure off Love and the WR's if Jones is not ready to go after the bye week you have to wonder if he's going to get healthy at all this season.

This came from the Manning broadcast last night:

Peyton Manning said that it looks like Love is not “seeing the field quickly enough" and that many times guys are open but by the time Love sees and throws it, they are covered up again. Eli said Love has to “anticipate guys getting open and not wait until he sees them open". That’s why the throws are late.
Last night, certainly. Love seemed to be reading high to low but not fast enough and not letting those shallow throws rip. He was hitting them too late.

But again, not to sound like a broken record but go back and watch some of the throws he was making earlier in the season, he was threading the ball into tight windows with great anticipation. Something has gotten to him, he’s lost confidence. Maybe they’re asking him to do more processing than he can right now? I still come back to this, ML needs to be Love’s friend. He might need you to hold his hand while he figures out this stretch. Help your young QB!

They weren’t an issue this game necessarily but I’m actually close to calling it for that group. The core to me is off. The coaching on the D side has been discussed to death but there’s a player chemistry/vibe thing on D that isn’t quite right either, I think they’ve kinda had their chance and it’s time to change the culture. Just me, right now I would be open to hearing offers for Clark, Smith, Rasul and Jaire, and if the team continues to muddle along I’d be looking to actively move one or more of them at the deadline.

I agree that I'd field offers on pretty much anyone on defense. Most teams seem to have an alpha dog somewhere, but who's the Packers. It can't be Jaire, who regularly makes "business decisions" against the run and really rarely seems to make a big play. It can't be a part-timer like Gary. PSmith's best days are behind him. It can't be Clark who regularly disappears. About the closest you have is Rasul.

It's a messed up cast with too many boundary corners and no true nickel. Two safeties who both can't fill on running plays. Two ILBs who can't seem to take on blocks and fill the proper gaps.

There is also some stupid coaching and execution going on. Last night on that goal-line situation where the DB is 8 yards off, something is wrong. It's either boneheaded execution or coaching and good teams don't do that.

Against Detroit, I've heard a couple of mentions of a goal-line situation where Detroit came out in "11" personnel at the 8 yard line. I can't confirm because I haven't rewatched it, but according to what was said, the Packers countered with nickel, and Detroit predictably ran it down their throats twice and scored. The problem wasn't necessarily going nickel, but as was was pointed out, the nickel front was Enagbare, Slaton, Wooden and Hollins - about as light as you could go up front. If you're going to go nickel, fine, but then the front four should have been Gary, Slaton, Clark and Smith. Now, that group might not have gotten it done either, but at least put yourself in the best position to succeed with what you've got. (If I've been given wrong information on this, feel free to correct.)

They weren’t an issue this game necessarily but I’m actually close to calling it for that group. The core to me is off. The coaching on the D side has been discussed to death but there’s a player chemistry/vibe thing on D that isn’t quite right either, I think they’ve kinda had their chance and it’s time to change the culture. Just me, right now I would be open to hearing offers for Clark, Smith, Rasul and Jaire, and if the team continues to muddle along I’d be looking to actively move one or more of them at the deadline.
Good point and I agree. Something seems off on that side of the ball and I would be down for fielding some trades.

I agree that I'd field offers on pretty much anyone on defense. Most teams seem to have an alpha dog somewhere, but who's the Packers. It can't be Jaire, who regularly makes "business decisions" against the run and really rarely seems to make a big play. It can't be a part-timer like Gary. PSmith's best days are behind him. It can't be Clark who regularly disappears. About the closest you have is Rasul.
Great point and I don't think there is an alpha on that side of the ball. That D has no identity and to me, it's time to start thinking of doing something different on D.

This came from the Manning broadcast last night:

Peyton Manning said that it looks like Love is not “seeing the field quickly enough" and that many times guys are open but by the time Love sees and throws it, they are covered up again. Eli said Love has to “anticipate guys getting open and not wait until he sees them open". That’s why the throws are late.
well, these are both super bowl winning, hall of fame players. they probably know a little something about being a qb in the nfl.

to my very untrained eyes, what i saw was pretty much the same. and yesterday afternoon i watched a youtube video post by chase daniel where he showed in great detail brock purdy's decision making skills and how quickly he processes things and finds the open receiver. it was interesting (for me) to watch and compare to what i saw last night from jlo. almost night and day. i've included that video below. by the way, this video was before the 49ers absolutely killed the cowboys. chase has already posted a follow-up to that game as well.

why do i care how brock purdy is doing? for me it is a comparison thing. jlo has been in the nfl learning this offense for years now. purdy was thrown into the fire in his rookie year because qb1 and qb2 were injured. he was never expected to play last year. and yet, he came in fully prepared, and played like a vet. he has won every single regular season game that he has started since then, and his only loss was a playoff game where he got injured and could not finish. jlo was a first round draft pick, and purdy was the very last player taken in the draft last year. i ask you: what were the expectations for these two players when they were drafted?

When your best play is an offensive lineman flop, you're in trouble.

OFFENSE:

I though LaFleur's offense was supposed to work as a team using motion and misdirection to tactically and strategically get recievers open, create running holes, not require individual dominance, and not require a lot of thought?

Doesn't seem to be happening. Our players - all of them - are getting outplayed mentally and physically.

I'm not buying, 'we're young.' It's a cop out. Young wide recievers, tight ends, running backs, offensive lineman, and quarterbacks are more consistently doing what's required all over the league. Many of these 'young' players have had more than 1 year collecting checks while they were supposed to be learning the system.

So, is it the strategy just being a paper tiger that looks good on the board but doesn't work in the real world? Is it the coaches inability to teach it? Is it players inability to comprehend it? Is it players inability to physically perform? Is it the coaches inability to implement it?

Every team has injuries - Holy Cow, we have a lot of hamstring injuries. It would be nice to have fully healthy Jones, but, in this woesome offense, he wouldn't be doing much. And, anybody that believed Bahktari was playing all year believed Pamela Anderson was running off the beach into your arms. Again the 'whole' of the team was supposed to be greater than the individual sum of its parts. It's not happening.

Regarding our quarterback. I'm not saying dump him. But, I've always thought Love's passes 'floated' and were not that accurate. Somebody earlier mentioned he's not stepping into throws and driving the ball. Lately, I'm not impressed with his decision making. I hope he gets better. We are going to have a tough decision on him. At this time, I don't see justification for the big contract quarterbacks demand.

DEFENSE:

Statistically, I wouldn't be surprised if the overall Defense doesn't look bad.

However, situationally, I don't think they are performing. Does anybody?

OVERALL:

I think coaches are failing. I think the front office failed.

Hope it can turn around.

I think Love is in a tough spot. He's got a 1st or 2nd year receiver at virtually every spot except RB and he has a very suspect offensive line. kind of hard to learn and improve with all that going on. I hope Jones can get back after the bye because he's a veteran and they can use him in a lot of different ways to help alleviate pressure.

This team is 1-3 without its best offensive player in Jones, and that lack of a credible run threat is what lead to the defender being in position on the first interception. (Don't know how the regular MNF looked at it, but the Mannings did a good job of showing the linebacker not biting at all on the play action.) It also opens up the playbook in the red zone, in a game where scoring an extra TD instead of a FG would have meant only needing 3 on that last drive.

Giving a relative pass to the defense, but if the Raiders had gone for it on 4th and 2 on their last drive, it's the Atlanta game all over again.

Not sure you can compare Love to Purdy per se. If you out Love in a stacked roster like SF I bet he does pretty darn well. Put Purdy on the Packers and I bet he flops. Love has issues for sure but Packers roster is a dumpster fire right now.

As for ML red zone issues were a problem when Arod was here. That speaks to questionable coaching and game planning.

Back