Post Game: Raiders beat Packers 17-13

I agree that I'd field offers on pretty much anyone on defense. Most teams seem to have an alpha dog somewhere, but who's the Packers. It can't be Jaire, who regularly makes "business decisions" against the run and really rarely seems to make a big play. It can't be a part-timer like Gary. PSmith's best days are behind him. It can't be Clark who regularly disappears. About the closest you have is Rasul.

It's a messed up cast with too many boundary corners and no true nickel. Two safeties who both can't fill on running plays. Two ILBs who can't seem to take on blocks and fill the proper gaps.

There is also some stupid coaching and execution going on. Last night on that goal-line situation where the DB is 8 yards off, something is wrong. It's either boneheaded execution or coaching and good teams don't do that.

Against Detroit, I've heard a couple of mentions of a goal-line situation where Detroit came out in "11" personnel at the 8 yard line. I can't confirm because I haven't rewatched it, but according to what was said, the Packers countered with nickel, and Detroit predictably ran it down their throats twice and scored. The problem wasn't necessarily going nickel, but as was was pointed out, the nickel front was Enagbare, Slaton, Wooden and Hollins - about as light as you could go up front. If you're going to go nickel, fine, but then the front four should have been Gary, Slaton, Clark and Smith. Now, that group might not have gotten it done either, but at least put yourself in the best position to succeed with what you've got. (If I've been given wrong information on this, feel free to correct.)
Football is all about PFF scores and RAS scores and all sorts of tangible stuff now but chemistry is real, there’s a magic to team building. A unit can be greater than the sum of its parts, or less than. This Packer D is less then. I like all those players. I think they’re really good. For whatever reason it’s not working with all of them together.

I agree that I'd field offers on pretty much anyone on defense. Most teams seem to have an alpha dog somewhere, but who's the Packers. It can't be Jaire, who regularly makes "business decisions" against the run and really rarely seems to make a big play. It can't be a part-timer like Gary. PSmith's best days are behind him. It can't be Clark who regularly disappears. About the closest you have is Rasul.

It's a messed up cast with too many boundary corners and no true nickel. Two safeties who both can't fill on running plays. Two ILBs who can't seem to take on blocks and fill the proper gaps.

There is also some stupid coaching and execution going on. Last night on that goal-line situation where the DB is 8 yards off, something is wrong. It's either boneheaded execution or coaching and good teams don't do that.

Against Detroit, I've heard a couple of mentions of a goal-line situation where Detroit came out in "11" personnel at the 8 yard line. I can't confirm because I haven't rewatched it, but according to what was said, the Packers countered with nickel, and Detroit predictably ran it down their throats twice and scored. The problem wasn't necessarily going nickel, but as was was pointed out, the nickel front was Enagbare, Slaton, Wooden and Hollins - about as light as you could go up front. If you're going to go nickel, fine, but then the front four should have been Gary, Slaton, Clark and Smith. Now, that group might not have gotten it done either, but at least put yourself in the best position to succeed with what you've got. (If I've been given wrong information on this, feel free to correct.)
Ding ding ding! They haven’t had a true alpha dog for awhile and they sorely miss that infield leadership.

well, these are both super bowl winning, hall of fame players. they probably know a little something about being a qb in the nfl.

to my very untrained eyes, what i saw was pretty much the same. and yesterday afternoon i watched a youtube video post by chase daniel where he showed in great detail brock purdy's decision making skills and how quickly he processes things and finds the open receiver. it was interesting (for me) to watch and compare to what i saw last night from jlo. almost night and day. i've included that video below. by the way, this video was before the 49ers absolutely killed the cowboys. chase has already posted a follow-up to that game as well.

why do i care how brock purdy is doing? for me it is a comparison thing. jlo has been in the nfl learning this offense for years now. purdy was thrown into the fire in his rookie year because qb1 and qb2 were injured. he was never expected to play last year. and yet, he came in fully prepared, and played like a vet. he has won every single regular season game that he has started since then, and his only loss was a playoff game where he got injured and could not finish. jlo was a first round draft pick, and purdy was the very last player taken in the draft last year. i ask you: what were the expectations for these two players when they were drafted?

Christina Watson needs to play physically. If he had, the INT would probably never have happened, and he may very well have gotten a defensive pass interference call in the end zone. He can't be timid, if he's going to be the guy who gets these passes thrown to him. I honestly believe Doubs would have challenged the defender. Watson will learn, or else he'll never be the receiver he's capable of being. The first wasn't on him, the second, in the end zone, would have set the Packers up at the 2 yard line, or he would have had the TD.

Christina Watson needs to play physically. If he had, the INT would probably never have happened, and he may very well have gotten a defensive pass interference call in the end zone. He can't be timid, if he's going to be the guy who gets these passes thrown to him. I honestly believe Doubs would have challenged the defender. Watson will learn, or else he'll never be the receiver he's capable of being. The first wasn't on him, the second, in the end zone, would have set the Packers up at the 2 yard line, or he would have had the TD.

Yes this is true, but he also missed the last month with that injury and he’s clearly not in game shape and hesitant with that hamstring. He shouldn’t have been caught from behind on that long catch and run, normally he would’ve scored. Cost them 4 points.

That’s not to knock him right now, it is to say though that they are playing with razor thin margins. He is the only physical mismatch player they have on offense. They can’t afford for him to play his way back into game shape and game speed but they have to endure it because there is no other choice. It’s the state of the roster right now, end of the day he’s a small school guy, massive physical tools, tightly wound lower body, still learning the game and he’s being counted on to play a roll that’s bigger than what he can probably handle right now. Every great Packer WR of the past 15 years took 2-3 years of up and down play until they “got it”, he won’t be different.

Not sure you can compare Love to Purdy per se. If you out Love in a stacked roster like SF I bet he does pretty darn well. Put Purdy on the Packers and I bet he flops. Love has issues for sure but Packers roster is a dumpster fire right now.

As for ML red zone issues were a problem when Arod was here. That speaks to questionable coaching and game planning.
maybe i didn't really make it clear. i'm only comparing the way these two qbs work through their progressions and see the right man to throw it to. i don't really care so much about wins and losses or the strength of the two rosters. yes, it is true the 49ers are loaded and the packers are not. and having cmc is miles ahead of having aaron jones. but just take the time to watch the video. purdy goes through his progressions way faster than jlo and he very rarely misses the open man. i saw a couple where it looks like he could have gotten an even better result by throwing to a different guy, but still ended up getting the first down by throwing to the receiver he chose. i doubt that happens very often with the packers receivers where two of them are both open on a play.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised by the inconsistency, but I am mildly surprised they lost to the Raiders. GB is the better team, talent wise. This was a game they should have won.
This one was more deflating than the DET loss, partly because the OL was so beat up, it was on a short week (Thu game) and DET is (right now) clearly the better team.

Dropped passes, bad/wrong routes, poor blocking. We got treated to a lot of BAD football last night.

The OL was better than vs. DET and Dillon ran better but still not good enough. They missed Aaron Jones, which is a little scary given his age, contract status, and vulnerability to injury. They really need to get another young dynamic back in the offseason, or get a lot better at blocking (both? both).

On the final INT, Love had Watson open but missed the window, and then when he did throw it he underthrew it (feet weren't set) badly. Watson has 7 inches taller than the CB and has like a 39" vert, you gotta chuck it farther dude. Watson wasn't in good position to break up that throw, it was so underthrown. This was not a good game for Love. The deflected INT was maybe excusable, but even then he's trying to fit it into a tight window. The others were bad throws, plain and simple.
For all the off-season hype, you'd think Romeo Doubs' picture was on the side of a milk carton. A couple of times Crosby timed the snap perfectly and made the OL look very silly. If your opponent has ONE good DL, you would think they'd scheme ways to nullify him. That definitely does NOT mean asking a rookie TE to block him one on one.

When you run for 3ypc and complete 50% of your passes, your offense is going to stink.

They did a decent enough job bottling up Davante, Preston's coverage notwithstanding. It's hard to tell if the Raiders O is that bad or if the GB defense played well (both? both.), but giving up 17 points should give you a win. The D wasn't great, but they didn't lose the game.

Whelan wasn't great, but how about Anders Carlson? (knock on wood) He's been pretty good so far and I hope that continues. Weather's just starting to turn colder, that's when we'll find out.

As I said, this was a game they should have won, and I think could haunt them later in the season should they somehow get in the playoff hunt. Not looking likely right now, they have a lot to work on -- both the coaches and players. Might not be the worst time for a bye, tbh.

Where to begin. We are watching a team where 10/11 players on offense are on rookie deals. They will be inconsistent. I won't bother with Barry as that horse is dead.

One of the Love picks was egregious. The final one, the DB stuck his hand in Watson's chest to push him away and get leverage for the pick. Clear as day PI that wasn't called. The others bad throws but we all knew he would have these kinds of games as year 1 starter. They need to help him with a better running game.

At some point Love is going to have to decide its impossible to overthrow Watson and just let it fly. Trying to loft one in there isn't working. Let the guy run under a true bomb.

The D wasn't awful, but the Raiders offense is so take that for what its worth.

Back