Post Game Thread : Eagles Knock Off Packers 39-26

Just a few thoughts from last night:

This game showed the limitations of the "players, not plays" -mantra. Eagles had zero problem isolating our ILBs in mismatches in our coverages, and neither team could do a damn thing against screens. Not gonna be that easy in the regular season.

Barrington covers like a DT... And I don't mean Raji. I like him as a box ILB, but sure hope someone else rises to play in the nickel vs pass-happy teams.

TT will be scouring the first cuts for punters (who can hold). Masthay's funk has become a constant. He was inconsistent before, but in this game he was consistently bad. Bad when pressured, bad when not.

Myles White and Janis made me feel a bit more comfortable with WR depth. White plays like a young DD taking the dink and dunks without complaining. Janis runs the go route and Jordy's cross just fine. Enough to take the top off the D. Add in Adams and Cobb with Richard Rodgers we should be fine.

OL depth isn't great and may bite us. Sit the starters until Chicago.

One cool thing Wayne and Larry mentioned on the air last night. Is that TT usually doesn't watch GB players during pre-season games. He's looking at the other team looking for players who might be cut that he wants to put on the list.

Agree completely, Bama.
I watched the second quarter. This is about their offense being just plain better than our defense. The Eagles are just better than us against our defense. I was not impressed with anyone in the 2nd quarter defensively.
I will watch the rest of the tape tomorrow. Defense and STs again look terrible.

packers led the eagles in total first downs, total net yards, net yards per play, and had a commanding lead in time of possession. they also had 100% red zone efficiency. yet they lost by two touchdowns. reasons: two turnovers, bad defense, and horrible special teams. the turnovers are understandable given the fact that we played the entire game with our third and fourth string quarterbacks. the defense and special teams - really don't get this at all. our head coach told us that he gave up play calling so he could focus on these issues. he has been completely ineffective in fixing anything.

I saw Leroy Butler on twitter last night talking about how this is what ST looks like, especially in the preseason, and particularly with the amount of injuries that guys have.

But yeah, there's something up with Masthay

I still think Adams, Monty, White, and Janis can be good enough to win - as someone mentioned you would like to see Cobb back by week 2.

I was impressed with Hundley - while he makes some rookie mistakes, he flashes strong arm and accuracy. You can see he has made a major effort to pass and not run. Has looked very good rolling out and passing on the run - avoided some sacks in this game. He is growing.

White and Janis both looked good.

The TEs showed enough to make you feel a little more comfortable there.

Randall continues to impress - he was known as one of the best kick/punt coverage guys in college last year- great hit.

Barrington really exposed a weakness against the pass in that game. If he can't improve he must be replaced.

Neal might have put himself in position to overtake Starks. While I like Starks in the passing game, I think Neal is the better runner. Neal also had 61 yards on 5 receptions.

Neal might have put himself in position to overtake Starks. ... Neal also had 61 yards on 5 receptions.

i think iread that he also did a decent job of pass blocking. i think neal would be an upgrade over starks.

i think iread that he also did a decent job of pass blocking. i think neal would be an upgrade over starks.

as long as he's close i think he gets the nod.. TT likes to stay young remember. So unless Starks is way ahead I think he's gone...

I cannot remember a preseason game where so many of the tiers (below the starters we know) ever had the opportunity to play so much time. Does anyone know? So this opportunity through circumstances presented itself for Packers organization and it was done. The scores were "ugly" but the game needed to be played. I do not know what all was or will be revealed of what progress. Your comments helped to point me in the directions you are thinking. Glad to read them.

I do think Rajion Neal made some great efforts in this game. If he is PS eligible - depending upon other teams needs - he could get picked up immediately by another team before the Packers could sign to PS. - He had a definite flash in this game as having some talent! - Kaye

Back