Post Game Thread : Packers Ground The Eagles

Very nice win.. I was wrong on this one.. Turns out the key to winning with this team is several 7 minute + long drives on offense to keep the D on the sideline where they can't do any damage.... :D

Where's this been all year?! Nice road win! I'm in a state of shock! o_O

Vintage Rodgers. He took the offensive load on his shoulders, and made things happen.

The good hands team was on the field. They used in routes that had been abandoned so long ago. The only problem was that McCarthy went to the well too often with some of the plays, and even Jon Gruden, his buddy, said so during the interview. Defenders were sitting on the routes. Despite that fact, it was the most imaginable game plan I've seen all year. It included the pitch run option where Rodgers picked up a first down.

There were lapses, but the offensive line did play fairly well.

The defense, as a whole, started out fairly badly, then adjusted to make plays on a consistent basis. Making an INT is always a big boost to the psyche. You could see them rally together after that.

They beat an average team fairly well, after it being a potential shoot out in the beginning. The defensive adjustments actually were impressive, to a point. Still too many big plays, and a team that's a little more seasoned would have torn our defense apart. It is, as they say, what it is.

I'll take the win, and glad we got it. There wasn't a last minute melt down, and the only thing that slowed our offense was when Rodgers got hurt.

That's what worries me. Rodgers injury.

This season still has a 7-9 to 8-8 feel about it.

The Eagles just didn't have the tools to get it done. A rookie QB with lousy targets to throw to.
You could just see that our very poor secondary was begging to get shredded like it has been this season.

It was a fun game to watch though. The look of disappointment on some of the Eagles fans at the end of the game was really something else.

Last edited:
I hope after last night's performance any more silly talk about trading Rodgers is put to bed. He showed the entire league he still has "it" after all.

There was one play when Wentz took a big shot from Joe Thomas and it seemed to have shaken him up. He wasn't nearly as accurate after that.

I still think we finish 5-11, 6-10. Aaron was outstanding tonight and has been playing good football for the past few games but let's face it, things went just about as well as they possibly could have gone. The DBs got away with several contact penalties; we got a timely roughing the passer call to keep a drive alive; how many bobbled catches did our receivers catch that usually hit the ground?; the Eagles mediocre WR group lost their only good player in the first half. If any one of those circumstances changes I think we lose this game.

This is team has tried, I'll give them that. I don't question the effort like I did after the Indy game. But the roster is still full of holes, the D is a complete mess, and I don't think our O system can really beat a good D consistently without AR playing out of his mind and without getting some breaks.

Rodgers has played well recently. He has had two superb games in a row. He played extremely well against the Redskins, and now the Eagles. He's not the only player on the field.

What we're beginning to see is receivers stepping up and making big plays. They aren't quitting on their routes. Adams and Nelson are both winning the hand battles for the ball, and that was always something Rodgers needed from the guys he trusted. Cobb is starting to find his own comfort zone, and has began putting his body between the ball and the defenders, which makes him a solid choice for in-routes in the shorter zones. He was always effective on the 3 and 5 step slant.

Seeing the old quick in routes also being used was great. The defense can't do anything to stop it. When they lay off the outside receivers, it was always a great way to get a mid yardage completion equivalent of a run.

Mooch said it last night. McCarthy opened up the playbook and added a few wrinkles. The read option by Rodgers for his running first down was a prime example.

We had a game where a few important things happened:

1. There was a much more creative offensive gameplan in place that was focused on Aaron Rodgers taking what the defense was giving and getting the ball out quick.

2. The defense did enough and was effective enough at times to hamper an average NFL offense amd shake up a rookie QB

3. Almost all the 50/50 plays went to the Pack, which is something that hasn't happened in a long time.

rpi- true about the things that went our way, but there were plenty of mistakes that balanced it out. Stupid pre-snap penalties, Perry had two offsides that hurt. Eagles DBs got away with more than ours did. Very happy we won, especially on National TV.

There are still the same problems though and most of it is on the defense. NOBODY in our defensive backfield hits anyone. Randall missed a tackle on Wentz that turned into a big play. Micah Hyde is farging INVISIBLE out there. We are not going to cause any fumbles when we gently lay the opposing team to the ground. Feel like we dodged a bullet on defense.
Offense looked good. Put the game in the hands of your best player- what a revelation. The uptempo 'muddle' is when we are at our best.
WRs caught the ball. Cook's fumble per game didn't cost us this time.
The only thing that did bother me was running an option with your over 30 QB! Just doesn't make any sense. Would have liked to see Rip and Michael in there on the goal line, but that's really nitpicking.

Good win. Easier to go to work this week!!

Back