Post Game Thread : Packers Knock Off Giants 23-16

As for the punting situation, Ted needs to swallow his pride and either bring Masthay back or sign someone off the street because Schum is straight garbage. He stunk last year with Tampa and has stunk here also.

What in the world did they see in Schum that they didn't already have in Masthay or Mortell?

The Packers offense looked competent when running their scripted plays in the first series. Used all the skilled position players besides Abby and ran multiple different looks. MM really needs to open the playbook for the whole game.

I'm guessing it'll be Price and Hawkins as the guys out for Pennel and Goodson. It's a no brainer for Pennel and the kick coverage team has been awful this season and Goodson is a core teamer. I think Burnett was playing dime CB yesterday over Hawkins too.
EDIT: Sometimes new isn't better as is the case with Schum. I'm glad TT didn't listen to the fans when they wanted to get rid of Crosby.

maybe i missed it, but i don't recall seeing anything in this thread about our backup running back.

"James Starks continued his early-season struggles. He managed just 33 yards on 12 carries, and 10 yards came on his first carry following Lacy’s injury. On 24 carries this season, Starks has a total of just 42 yards. Fullback Aaron Ripkowski was more productive against the Giants with a pile-moving 13-yard run and 17 yards total on two carries."

i think it's time to cut starks loose. the guy just can't cut it any more. promote what's-his-name from the practice squad and begin the search for an undiscovered gem. we've had a few of them in the past. they're usually guys who look good for about half a season or so. remember samkon gado? that's kind of what we need right now.

If we cut Starks, who takes his place? Don Jackson from the PS? Bring back Pressley? sh))

maybe i missed it, but i don't recall seeing anything in this thread about our backup running back.

"James Starks continued his early-season struggles. He managed just 33 yards on 12 carries, and 10 yards came on his first carry following Lacy’s injury. On 24 carries this season, Starks has a total of just 42 yards. Fullback Aaron Ripkowski was more productive against the Giants with a pile-moving 13-yard run and 17 yards total on two carries."

i think it's time to cut starks loose. the guy just can't cut it any more. promote what's-his-name from the practice squad and begin the search for an undiscovered gem. we've had a few of them in the past. they're usually guys who look good for about half a season or so. remember samkon gado? that's kind of what we need right now.

Not sure what the deal is with Starks. He does know the offense, the protections, etc., so that makes him somewhat valuable in that sense but I do agree that it's time to start looking for alternatives.

wish i had an answer. i mean, he should have a job. everyone should have a job. perhaps he would make a good beer vendor.

I thought Zooker was a special teams maven? Where can a person go to get some special teams stats? It would be interesting to see the numbers.

Football Outsiders has an interesting take on special teams stats. LINK

Not sure what the deal is with Starks. He does know the offense, the protections, etc., so that makes him somewhat valuable in that sense but I do agree that it's time to start looking for alternatives.

For one thing he's 30, will turn 31 in February. Secondly Starks was never a lead back kind of guy. Change of pace sure. But he isn't Lacy/lead back and that was clear from the get go. So my question is (because I haven't seen all of every game) When Starks comes in does MM try to make him run the same plays as Lacy? Or does he change up the plays to better fit Starks style?

That is a good question, CD. I would have to go back and look at the tape to see that.

I think his main value is blitz pick up on passing downs. Although, I don't think that is enough value at this point.

I am just not sure there are any options out there at this point.

Back