Preseason Week 2 Green Bay vs Pittsburgh Thread

I've got my fingers crossed on them keeping Boyle. I believe they whiffed on trying to stash Hill, and I don't think you keep making those mistakes and gain ground. I know it's a serious reach, but you just never know how someone with raw talent can develop. I think about Starr being a 17th round pick, and guys who get cut, like Kurt Warner, that really had what it takes.

We don't know what will happen with Rodgers after 2020, or even 2021. If someone like Boyle did develop by that time, the decision on where they go could be pretty well decided by the players themselves. We technically went through this with the Favre/Rodgers transition, could happen again.

Not saying it will, just saying, you never know for sure. Drew Bledsoe figured he'd be back under center with Pats when he healed, didn't he?

I don't see Boyle as a potential starter, just a potential really solid backup, which is really important in the league these days.

Speaking of Hill, New Orleans still seems to have him as a #3 QB, but they also have him on the starting ST cover teams, which is kind of crazy. Can't say they're not getting their money's worth out of him.

I was talking to a friend up in GB who was telling me that Boyle's college stats don't show anything as to his ability. He commented that his footwork, arm, and ability to see the field and react quickly is far better than either Kizer or Hundley. He also commented that Rodgers, while watching him work kind of smiled and said; "He reminds me of me until they straightened out my mechanics." That's paraphrased, but he said the intent of saying that was there.

As far arm strength, they say he's nearly as strong as Rodgers even though he's just starting to explore his own capabilities.

I don't know how much he will end up doing, or how valuable he'll be, but I've always liked watching these young guys who have potential.

Tom Brady was what a sixth round pick who was thought to be a career backup. Not that Boyle is Brady. But you never know.

I don't see Boyle as a potential starter, just a potential really solid backup, which is really important in the league these days.

Speaking of Hill, New Orleans still seems to have him as a #3 QB, but they also have him on the starting ST cover teams, which is kind of crazy. Can't say they're not getting their money's worth out of him.

Because why ? He has the arm, he can take 5-7 step drops and can read a defense better than or as well as Hundley who has what 4 years in? Give him 2-3 years in the pros. I think Packer fans are spoiled since our last 2 starting QB was so good... it's rare to see that. I think Boyle needs to be given time to develop. GB has failed to do that under MM so far.

Because why ? He has the arm, he can take 5-7 step drops and can read a defense better than or as well as Hundley who has what 4 years in? Give him 2-3 years in the pros. I think Packer fans are spoiled since our last 2 starting QB was so good... it's rare to see that. I think Boyle needs to be given time to develop. GB has failed to do that under MM so far.

Well, 1. it's just playing the odds, really. There are not many quality starting QBs as it is, and odds are very slim that Boyle is or can be one of them. You are right, perhaps I've been conditioned to believe you need HOF caliber QB play these days in order to win as a team, when that's not necessarily so.

2. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a quality back-up, it's not a knock. They are few and far between, and if Boyle can be one for the next couple years, that's great.

Well, 1. it's just playing the odds, really. There are not many quality starting QBs as it is, and odds are very slim that Boyle is or can be one of them. You are right, perhaps I've been conditioned to believe you need HOF caliber QB play these days in order to win as a team, when that's not necessarily so.

2. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a quality back-up, it's not a knock. They are few and far between, and if Boyle can be one for the next couple years, that's great.

Right now Boyle has to beat the odds to make the team. With Packers history of only keeping 2 QBs on roster he will have to play well again in the next 3 games to make the Packers sure that if they were to cut him that he would get claimed to keep him as a third QB.

Right now Boyle has to beat the odds to make the team. With Packers history of only keeping 2 QBs on roster he will have to play well again in the next 3 games to make the Packers sure that if they were to cut him that he would get claimed to keep him as a third QB.

If Boyle plays well enough for the Packers to keep him, then they will have him for 4 years, to groom. That takes it through the 2021 season and by then Rodgers will be 38........going on 39, and if Green Bay sees any noticeable decline in his skills, they may have a decision to make. tc(

If Boyle plays well enough for the Packers to keep him, then they will have him for 4 years, to groom. That takes it through the 2021 season and by then Rodgers will be 38........going on 39, and if Green Bay sees any noticeable decline in his skills, they may have a decision to make. tc(

Right now Kizer is going to be the guy they want to groom to be the next QB Boyle first has to outplay Kizer to get that job. Right now I am not buying into Boyle off one game let me see the tonight and next week he has good games in those then we talk about him on the team and having chance to develop there.

Right now Kizer is going to be the guy they want to groom to be the next QB Boyle first has to outplay Kizer to get that job. Right now I am not buying into Boyle off one game let me see the tonight and next week he has good games in those then we talk about him on the team and having chance to develop there.
That’s why I said “If Boyle plays well enough” to keep him.
I understand Kizer is likely the “preferred” candidate, but if Boyle shows enough, why not keep both and maybe later on either/both may develop into a tradable player or the next gen QB for GB. Which is something Hundley is not going to do.
It would be a nice problem to have IMO.

Back