Proposed New Kick-off Rules

GBkrzygrl

Reaction score
I think I understand in general what they are proposing regarding the kick-offs. I haven't decided what I think about that yet. But with the idea of notifying the other team when you are doing an onside kick...I don't understand how that is supposed to be helpful. I'm not crazy about it. Wasn't the point that it is supposed to be a surprise? I don't recall many players being hurt on that play.

Thoughts?

I think I understand in general what they are proposing regarding the kick-offs. I haven't decided what I think about that yet. But with the idea of notifying the other team when you are doing an onside kick...I don't understand how that is supposed to be helpful. I'm not crazy about it. Wasn't the point that it is supposed to be a surprise? I don't recall many players being hurt on that play.

Thoughts?
1711141883333.jpeg

The NFL, starting in 2030. Inflatagate will be a constant issue!

People think this will help to see more kickoff returns more. I question why? The kicker stil is kicking off from the 35 and can kick it out the back of the endzone. IMO this just makes it more likely a return man if catching it will call for a fair catch if that will still be allowed because the kicking team is only going to be 20 yards or so away when he catches it. I don't see guys who return it going much past the 30-35 yardline which will be were it's put if it's a touchback.

• Shrug
Reactions: TW
People think this will help to see more kickoff returns more. I question why? The kicker stil is kicking off from the 35 and can kick it out the back of the endzone. IMO this just makes it more likely a return man if catching it will call for a fair catch if that will still be allowed because the kicking team is only going to be 20 yards or so away when he catches it. I don't see guys who return it going much past the 30-35 yardline which will be were it's put if it's a touchback.
I agree

I'll be pissed if our guy keeps trying to return everything

It's gotten to be comical, how the people not on the field or sidelines treat kick offs. They remind me of cats. If they go from one room to another, and you close the door so they can't go back, they go out of their minds, wanting to be on the other side of that closed door.

All these meetings have produced in regards to kick off rules over the last few years is ways to reduce the number of returns through rules, then add rules to increase the number of returns by adding additional rules. It seems to me these people would have more constructive things that need to be done, but..... that's just my opinion.

Under the proposed rule, there are no fair catches in kickoffs. If the ball is kicked off and received outside the end zone you have to return it. If you catch in the end zone and take a knee the offense takes over at their 35 yard line(!).

I think the idea is the prevent teams from kicking into the end zone and get more returns.

Has anyone seen an explanation about requiring teams to declare an onside kick? I've been looking. The only thing I can think of is coaches wanting to be lazy and not having to plan for a surprise.

The rest is what it is. Kickoffs already aren't very exciting anymore.

NFL
Has anyone seen an explanation about requiring teams to declare an onside kick? I've been looking. The only thing I can think of is coaches wanting to be lazy and not having to plan for a surprise.

The rest is what it is. Kickoffs already aren't very exciting anymore.
  • Onside kick:
    • 4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials
    • Current onside kickoff rules would apply. If onside kick goes beyond the setup zone untouched, kicking team penalized for UNS; return team would start the drive at the A20 yard line
They just need to get rid of the onside kick. IMO make it allowed at anypoint in game. It's a 4th and 20 from the teams own 20.

Back