REPORT: Badgers to start Alex Hornibrook at QB against Spartans

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
607322472-150x150.jpg

Big Ten play is upon us, and after Saturday’s way-too close 23-17 victory over Georgia State a move to spark the offense appears to have been made.

That’s because a report from Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel names a pair of sources within the team as telling him it will be Hornibrook as the starter against Michigan State this weekend.

It certainly is difficult to argue against Hornibrook getting his shot at a full game after his efficient start to his career in the Cardinal and White. All he did on Saturday was go 8 of 12 for 122 yards and a touchdown to an interception.

On the season, he is 13 of 17 for 183 yards and two touchdowns to one interception.

That one bad play was more on wide receiver George Rushing than Hornibrook, given the ball hit Rushing in the hands and he couldn’t hold on resulting in an easy pick by the cornerback behind him.

Not only was he personally efficient with the ball, Wisconsin’s offense found a major spark as a whole. After sputtering to just six points in the first six possessions of the game, Hornibrook’s insertion in the offense saw UW put up 17 points on three scores in four possessions before grinding out the clock in the final 3:12 of the game.

Most impressive was Hornibrook’s first drive, as he led a masterful six-play, 69-yard drive capped off be a two-yard TD run by senior Dare Ogunbowale. It gave Wisconsin a 13-3 lead, but he also showed an ability to overcome a deficit as well.

Following a pair of touchdowns by Georgia State, the Badgers faced a 17-13 hole to climb out of. Hornibrook and the offense responded right back, going eight plays and 59 yards for a one-yard TD throw to fellow redshirt freshman Kyle Penniston.

It was 20-17 and it was all the Badgers needed, as they tacked on a 41-yard Rafael Gaglianone field goal (his third on four attempts for the game) for the final 23-17 margin.

Houston just didn’t seem to have the chemistry needed, struggling to extend drives or have receivers make a play or two in his favor. As a result, he was pulled after going 10 of 18 for just 91 yards against Georgia State.

Following the game, Houston was quiet with reporters and you could tell the decision to go elsewhere got to him.

http://madtownbadgers.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/148/2016/09/Houston.mp3

With Hornibrook likely to get the start, it appears the biggest offseason question has an answer — how will Wisconsin play in that brutal Big Ten slate with a redshirt freshman at quarterback.

You don’t make that move and then pull him as musical quarterbacks simply don’t work, especially on the psyche of a young quarterback like Hornibrook. It appears this season will indeed be an interesting one for a potential-laden Badgers team.

The post REPORT: Badgers to start Alex Hornibrook at QB against Spartans appeared first on Madtown Badgers.

Continue reading...

The move to Hornibrook won't be a short-term move. Chryst will stick with him until the end of the season barring injury or him falling completely on his face.

This team does have some potential, but it's still pretty young at a lot of positions including OL, DL, and now QB. This move to Hornibrook, should he hold up, is a move for next year as much as this year. They have a much more favorable schedule next year.

Plus, the injuries aren't helping. Do we have any scholarship tailbacks available this week beside Ogunbawale? Looks like everyone else is on the injury report.

It looks like we're going to be going into the MSU game with only one experienced RB, and down to #5 & 6 spelling him. Alex had better play the game of his life if we're to have a chance. Our running game will not be a major factor if we win.

That said, I am anxious to see how Hornibrook does. I think he has a big future in Madison, possibly beyond.

Hopefully Hornibrook is Bollinger 2.0 the year he broke out against Ohio St. I heard today that Corey Clement could have played last week but they held him out to be sure he was a go this week. Also Shaw's shoulder isn't bad so I expect we have Clement, Dare and Shaw this week.

Chryst is gonna be mad as hell if this is true. He said in the postgame that Houston was going to be the starter next week.

Ouch! Just rumors that Alex is starting? If that's fact, I hope Chryst puts it to rest soon. I think his judgment will be fair on who should start.

Latest from the Journal Sentinel is that he's not addressing this issue. The starter on Saturday will be the starter on Saturday.

Both of them deserve to start to be honest. Houston for his perseverance, and giving up so much to be the starter this year. He's worked hard for it. Hornibrook has shown over the course of two games that he may well be the better QB, and saved us from a loss last week.

The idea that you will choose based on practice has never been a good one in my book. Some players practice better than others because they've done it so long they know all the right moves to impress the coaches. Others? Not so much, because they are looking to hone their skills, and may do things a little more on the edge, and it sometimes looks like they've screwed up when in fact, they haven't.

But, either way, the guy who gets the start is going to be under enormous pressure, and the fact that the other is on the sideline waiting for his opportunity is going to make the guy in the game a little hesitant. That never plays out well.

Hornibrook basically revealed during media availability yesterday that he will be the starter:

(paraphrasing)

Media: "Anything to the rumors that you'll be the starter this weekend?"

AH: "That's what I've heard, yep. Really excited for this."

Media: "...Shocked(... did the coaches tell you that?"

AH: "uhh... excuse me."
-goes over to UW Athletics media relations personnel

AH: "Coach Chryst is making sure we're both ready to go. If I'm the guy, I'll be ready. If Bart's the guy, I'm ready for that, too."

Back