Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
With how much a guy likes Rodgers makes though that does play a big part in him being able to go out in his terms.
No. And how he is compensated is actually irrelevant. He feels or I presume he feels that way because he earned it on the field and over time.

And a bit of a rant here …..the NFL or for that matter pro sports are not the real world. Anyone on this board can choose where they work and live. We even get that choice out of college. Athletes don’t. Hell the draft is technically illegal but that’s a separate issue . And in the NFL for many players your contract is really not over in 3-5 years. You can get tagged and have no freedom of movement. So when a player gets to the end of his career should a team accommodate a player when, where and how they go out ? Do you work with the player and find common ground? I know the convenient narrative will be “well they make a lot of money”. Well they also made other people billions also. It’s how as an organization you want to deal with this from both a business perspective and philosophical. We have seen examples on both sides. At the end of the day it’s a business. We know it, players know it, owners know it.

I have no idea what goes on behind the walls in GB. But since Murphy took over and now this new structure is in place something is not right. Hell some of us have said since the Seattle debacle it’s not been right. Brandt has written about the lack of communication skills in GB, he should know. He was inside the building. Maybe just maybe what Rodgers is saying about people and culture has some merit, not defending Rodgers but maybe there is something to it. I just have no confidence that this organization knows how to “fix” this. The distraction at this point will impact this organization both short term bad long term. Trade the guy and move on. He clearly was not part of the long term timeline anyway.

Last edited:
And a bit of a rant here …..the NFL or for that matter pro sports are not the real world. Anyone on this board can choose where they work and live. We even get that choice out of college. Athletes don’t. Hell the draft is technically illegal but that’s a separate issue . And in the NFL for many players your contract is really not over in 3-5 years. You can get tagged and have no freedom of movement. So when a player gets to the end of his career should a team accommodate a player when, where and how they go out ? Do you work with the player and find common ground? I know the convenient narrative will be “well they make a lot of money”. Well they also made other people billions also. It’s how as an organization you want to deal with this from both a business perspective and philosophical. We have seen examples on both sides. At the end of the day it’s a business. We know it, players know it, owners know it.

I have no idea what goes on behind the walls in GB. But since Murphy took over and now this new structure is in place something is not right. Hell some of us have said since the Seattle debacle it’s not been right. Brandt has written about the lack of communication skills in GB, he should know. He was inside the building. Maybe just maybe what Rodgers is saying about people and culture has some merit, not defending Rodgers but maybe there is something to it. I just have no confidence that this organization knows how to “fix” this. The distraction at this point will impact this organization both short term bad long term. Trade the guy and move on. He clearly was not part of the long term timeline anyway.

I have to disagree with you here a bit, the majority of us some 96% are at-will employees. Someone can walk into my office or their office and terminate their employment at any time. So it is for NFL players. That's the cold harsh reality of life. Here is a big difference though... look at their compensation even at the league minimum compared to the average working Joe.... it's very difficult for almost all of us to feel bad for Rodgers and his 23 million this season. The picture he and his little buddies are trying to paint about "people " etc is really hard to swallow when you're on vaca in Hawaii or partying somewhere with your Hollywood wife on your arm.

I am 110% with you on Murphy, I've said it here for a long time there is something off in that building. I think Ty Dunne regardless if people like him or not is painting the closest picture of disfunction.

Again, for the record. Get the picks, move on. This bird is cooked.

I have to disagree with you here a bit, the majority of us some 96% are at-will employees. Someone can walk into my office or their office and terminate their employment at any time. So it is for NFL players. That's the cold harsh reality of life. Here is a big difference though... look at their compensation even at the league minimum compared to the average working Joe.... it's very difficult for almost all of us to feel bad for Rodgers and his 23 million this season. The picture he and his little buddies are trying to paint about "people " etc is really hard to swallow when you're on vaca in Hawaii or partying somewhere with your Hollywood wife on your arm.

I am 110% with you on Murphy, I've said it here for a long time there is something off in that building. I think Ty Dunne regardless if people like him or not is painting the closest picture of disfunction.

Again, for the record. Get the picks, move on. This bird is cooked.
I get the employment thing and your point is valid. I was more pointing out that pro athletes, especially NFL have little or no choice when it comes to freedom of movement from day 1.

I’m not at all feeling bad for Rodgers. I guess I just separate that stuff since sports to me is entertainment. He’s not without fault here. At least he’s not playing the “I want input” narrative, he’s being very direct that it’s a people and culture thing. The more I think about it that’s a direct hit on Murphy. Sure he has issues with Gute, we all do but the rest is from the top.

I get the employment thing and your point is valid. I was more pointing out that pro athletes, especially NFL have little or no choice when it comes to freedom of movement from day 1.

I’m not at all feeling bad for Rodgers. I guess I just separate that stuff since sports to me is entertainment. He’s not without fault here. At least he’s not playing the “I want input” narrative, he’s being very direct that it’s a people and culture thing. The more I think about it that’s a direct hit on Murphy. Sure he has issues with Gute, we all do but the rest is from the top.
If that is his narrative then frankly it's already over, now it's a matter of when they cut bait not if.

If that is his narrative then frankly it's already over, now it's a matter of when they cut bait not if.
I could not agree more but I have no confidence they figure that out. They seem on the surface that money can fix this, make him the highest paid player…..wonderful have a lame duck QB who is 37 and your sitting a QB you traded up for ? Oh and the “your under contract so suck it up butter cup” will just make the distraction a weekly theme. It’s a college Athletics Director calling the shots who is an old school former player who can’t wrap his head around today’s NFL

I could not agree more but I have no confidence they figure that out. They seem on the surface that money can fix this, make him the highest paid player…..wonderful have a lame duck QB who is 37 and your sitting a QB you traded up for ? Oh and the “your under contract so suck it up butter cup” will just make the distraction a weekly theme. It’s a college Athletics Director calling the shots who is an old school former player who can’t wrap his head around today’s NFL
I would say it's deeper than that, most of the board is business owners who have those "at-will" employees working for them so that trickles down somewhat into GB front office. Murphy/Ball/Gute can put up a hell of an argument that they are fiscally stable, have been to back-to-back NFC title games while controlling the North, etc.

So yeah they suck from a people skills standpoint but AR is going to have a hard time making hay saying their "people " skills need to be fixed. Honestly, and he's too big-headed to do this but he should play out his contract this season and publicly ask for a trade after and or say "listen, I want out after this year, but I'll be all in this season" Balls in your court Murphy. Smarter way of handling it IMHO.

Honestly, and he's too big-headed to do this but he should play out his contract this season and publicly ask for a trade after and or say "listen, I want out after this year, but I'll be all in this season" Balls in your court Murphy. Smarter way of handling it IMHO.

if they haven't already worked out a trade, i think this is what will happen. he's playing hardball now, but when push comes to shove, i think he will be there. there's no way he retires.

I would say it's deeper than that, most of the board is business owners who have those "at-will" employees working for them so that trickles down somewhat into GB front office. Murphy/Ball/Gute can put up a hell of an argument that they are fiscally stable, have been to back-to-back NFC title games while controlling the North, etc.

So yeah they suck from a people skills standpoint but AR is going to have a hard time making hay saying their "people " skills need to be fixed. Honestly, and he's too big-headed to do this but he should play out his contract this season and publicly ask for a trade after and or say "listen, I want out after this year, but I'll be all in this season" Balls in your court Murphy. Smarter way of handling it IMHO.
Honestly I think he's already asked for one, in private (Dunn Trip) and has been told in no uncertain terms no its not happening. Just a gut but they asked along with that permission to seek a trade / deal partner.

Honestly I think he's already asked for one, in private (Dunn Trip) and has been told in no uncertain terms no its not happening. Just a gut but they asked along with that permission to seek a trade / deal partner.
Very possible and if GB plays it like that it would show some stupidity. I am hoping that both parties see this as a no-win situation if it devolves further. FCC(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back