Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. This is so much more than draft picks and cap space. If you want this organization to have the perception that it plays hard ball with elite players fine i don’t. This organization had that similar perception pre Wolf and Holmgren and look how players perceived the organization then
And look how it was perceived when Sherman ran the show and did the opposite. Every jabroni with a decent stat line was trying to pull one over on him.

That said, Murphy knows damn well that Rodgers ultimate value to GB is in post-career stuff, they trade on legacy and history, and can't afford to have Rodgers severed from the franchise long term.

Im not certain there's going to be one good enough for the Packers. If you are John Elway, and you know the team needs to deal Rodgers, and you know you're the only game in town... how much are you really offering? You have to throw a ton of new cash at him as well. If you're the Packers you can't trade the MVP for peanuts and crackerjacks and a tittle toy prize. Favre went for a 4th or whatever it was, but by that point GB knew what it had in Rodgers and just needed to get him out the door. Not the case now with Love.
The difference IMO is 12 has more in the tank left than Favre and no retirement talk each year. More value. How much who knows but remember Tampa had a deal for #4 but left it on the table because he did not want to play against him. Sometimes you dig your own hole

I guarantee you there are other GM's calling Gute saying hold the line don't fold because you allow Rodgers to do it other players all over the league will follow. Who cares about what player perception is 90% of them will take the biggest paycheck in FA.
If you don’t think perception matters your wrong. Players and agents. GB has to overpay now. And no, I think the calls are about what are you asking ?

And look how it was perceived when Sherman ran the show and did the opposite. Every jabroni with a decent stat line was trying to pull one over on him.

That said, Murphy knows damn well that Rodgers ultimate value to GB is in post-career stuff, they trade on legacy and history, and can't afford to have Rodgers severed from the franchise long term.
I get all of that. If Rodgers plays in GB you have a big distraction, if he “retires” you have a big distraction. You trade him not so much.

don't you think that ship has already sailed?

This organization has been always hell bent on its brand. Probably next to Dallas maybe Pittsburgh as a “legacy” brand that perception matters. I just cannot see Murphy allow this to tarnish the brand he’s in charge of. Maybe I’m off base here

Look, there is no question that Gute and Murphy and MLF probably could have engaged Rodgers more around the Jordan Love pick but let’s not kid ourselves.

Rodgers is a diva and as sensitive and passive aggressive as they get. Other than promising to never draft a QB under his watch I’m not sure Rodgers would have accepted any other answer. So he puts the cryptic “beautiful mystery” bullshit out there and has his camp float he’s unhappy instead of being a man and coming out and doing it himself. He might be a great football player, but he’s a fing coward. And he thinks he can hold a gun to the Packers head? Good luck with that.

He’s all out of options. He can stomp his feet and pout but the Packers hold most if not all of the cards. If he doesn’t show up for camp he’s getting fined. If he sits out he loses accrued time toward free agency. If he retires he looks like a spoiled brat quitter and GB still holds his rights.

The best part about all of this is Rodgers fancies himself as the smartest guy in the room. Guess what? This ain’t the NBA or MLB. Players are pawns given their ability to force moves. For a guy that been so strategic about crafting a certain common person image to endear himself to the fans, he burned that house down in 2 hours Thursday afternoon.

I can’t speak for the offseason stuff, but I think the Packers are going to come out on top here just like they did with Brent. Everything Gute is saying is correct and if they truly cannot recover from this then they will get a massive haul back in return either next spring or after June 1. Meanwhile, Rodgers thinks he can be more successful in Las Vegas or Denver? That’s laughable.

You show me a nympho super model who's extremely high maintenance and very jealous and I'll find you a guy that's sick of her BS. That's AR and the Packers. Then when you've had enough and are going to break up with her, she introduces you to her equally hot friend who wants to have a threesome. That's AR's MVP season last year.

Yes, given AR's personality, it would have been smart to maybe notify him of your plans to draft a QB last year. Gutey et al should have been better at reading the room given they know better than anyone how AR was going to react. However, if AR's 2020 season was like his 2019 season, parting ways with him might have been in the best interest of the team. What was more likely: AR, at 36, continuing to decline or AR, at 36, having an MVP season?

The other thing that will complicate this is the Packer's cap situation. It is my understanding (both from this board and other sites) that by trading AR now, the rest of his signing bonus comes due immediately. The Packers have no room to absorb this cap hit, so it seems that a trade before June 1st is a non-starter. I don't know the rules, but is it possible that the team he is traded to can agree to absorb his cap hit?

I would bet that this gets messy. AR holds grudges (as we well know). By leaking that he's told people in the organization that he doesn't want to play for the Packers he's pretty much backed himself into a corner. If it's correct about the Packers cap hit, he's actually decreased his leverage because the Packers CANT trade him right now. All he can do is sit out or hope that the front office can offer him a new contract that makes him happy.

In conclusion, this whole thing sucks. The organization lost their bet that AR would either continue to decline or be "ok" with last year's draft. AR, so far, has not won his bet that the Packers will do whatever it takes to keep him and make him happy. In the end, I'm still a Packer fan, and that will continue with or without AR.

Questions I keep asking, but can't make sense of:

Yes, he is pissed about drafting Love, but if he was that upset, why did he play last year and not draw the line then?

Wants to retire? Now he has a hot and famous fiancé, house in CA, chance to be Jeopardy host, so I can understand. Then just retire dude.

Why did this fully break on the eve of the draft? Yes, there were hints he was upset, but the Schefter article couldn't have been "just learned". If he was trying to force a trade before the draft, wouldn't this article have come out a few days/weeks earlier?

Contract extension? Packers offered him one I believe. I wonder if he would like another $10m/yr which will guarantee they are going to lose guys next year (Adams/Jaire)

Seriously, he is upset that team drafted a player that plays the same position as he does after two years of slight decline without telling him and he doesn't want to play for them anymore? I know athletes are spoiled, but grow up. If he is upset with anyone it should be with his agent that had him sign a contract where the Packers hold the most of the cards.

Just seems like the Godfather when Michael wants to buy out Mo Green and Mo Green says no I will buy you out. Just remains to see which side is Mo Green and gets a bullet thru the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back