Seattle to let Russel Wilson walk after next year?

My guess is if they can't reach a long term deal they tag him and draft someone. It buys them a year.

I think Wilson is really trying to get that fully guaranteed contract. Think that's where the "I can play baseball" stuff comes from - fully guaranteed deals. I think Schneider knows that while Wilson is perfect for that Seattle team and is a playmaker in his own right, he's not a QB who could carry a team without the likes of Sherman, Thomas, Wagner and Lynch. How would it look to everyone in the locker room if management broke open the vault for Wilson but appeared to be cheap with Marshawn Lynch, who is the real driving force behind their success? Schneider has a bit of a tight rope to walk here, but I still expect something to get done.

This is just "talk" and posturing at this point. Agree Schneider has a difficult task here. They can tag him for a year or maybe even 2 to buy some time. He isn't really a top-5 QB, but he wants to be paid like one. He needs a team with several other star players around him to win.

The baseball thing is just an idle threat by Wilson. He wouldn't make nearly this kind of money playing baseball. His minor league baseball career was OK, but unremarkable. No guarantee that he has major league talent. Kicking around in the minors trying to earn a spot on an MLB roster isn't going to pay even as well as a middle of the road starting QB contract.

I don't think anyone is buying the baseball bit. He's not gonna make nearly as much in MLB as he is in NFL. He's a decent bball player but he isn't so good he's gonna command the type of $$ he'd walk away from. I really think Schnieder has most of the leverage here. Wilson can't walk into any situation and succeed and he's not gonna walk away over a difference in guarantee..

Are any NFL contracts guaranteed?

Not as a rule, though I believe Nnamdi Asomugha had a two year fully guaranteed deal with the Raiders at one point.

The more I hear Russell Wilson talk, the more unlikeable and frankly crazy I find him. First the sincere talk about God wanting him and the Seahawks to win. Then this baseball stuff, it comes from an interview he did with Bryant Gumbel. Gumbel basically called him out on the whole thing, reminded Wilson that his numbers in baseball were pretty sh!tty. Wilson's response was that he works hard, so he can do anything. Confidence is one thing but that's just stupid.

Are any NFL contracts guaranteed?

I think a lot of the rookie deals of 1st round picks are guaranteed for first 4 years as your only at most giving out about $25 million or so if your the top overall pick.

Back