Should Abby Call it Quits?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
When Head Coach Mike McCarthy revealed July 31 that second-year receiver Jared Abbrederis suffered a concussion in the first practice, it created a heated discussion on Twitter. As head traumas have become a bigger topic of conversation surrounding NFL football, opinions have become stronger. Understandably, many are calling for Abbrederis to retire.

Abbrederis has insisted he has only suffered one documented concussion at Wisconsin. According to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, some scouts shared a concern on how many concussions he had suffered while at Wisconsin. Abbrederis could have suffered “three or four.” This concussion was the last thing Abbrederis needed after missing last season with a torn ACL. Abbrederis was fighting for the sixth receiver spot with third year player Myles White and Undrafted Rookies including but not limited to Jimmie Hunt, Adrian Coxson and Javess Blue.

Concussion fears were a major factor in Abbrederis’ former Badger teammate, Chris Borland, deciding to retire after one year in the NFL. Borland felt the risks of the NFL on his brain were not worth continuing. With the information we have about CTE and head trauma, it may be wise for Abbrederis to at least consider retiring.

A concussion in a non-padded practice is concerning given Abbrederis’s possible history. To many, his long term health is more important than his playing career. Some fans are concerned with Abby’s future if he sustains any more concussions. They fear that basic tasks may become difficult in Abbrederis’ later life if he continues to play. Abbrederis may consider ending his dream of playing in the NFL and focus on his long-term brain health

This decision is up to Jared Abbrederis and the Green Bay Packers. Ultimately, the Packers may make the decision for him. It may be that a team doesn’t want to take a chance on a receiver who is one head injury away from forced retirement.

Continue reading...

I believe he gets released and resigns on the PS OR gets released with an injury settlement. If he is a FA he'll get a shot on someone's PS this year.

Tend to agree they cut him and put him on PS.

Though only way he can be cut and go on the PS is to return to practice before the end of TC. Otherwise he would need to go on IR or be cut with an injury settlement which would prevent him from signing back to the PS for 6 or 8 weeks I think per the rules.

I thought he wasn't PS eligible because he was on IR last year.

I thought he wasn't PS eligible because he was on IR last year.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.

Just saw this http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p.../packers-willing-to-wait-for-jared-abbrederis

The Green Bay Packers haven't given up on Jared Abbrederis, and he hasn't given up on football.
The fifth-round draft pick in 2014 intends to continue his bid to make the roster even though he has been out since the first practice of training camp because of a concussion.
What remains unclear is when Abbrederis will be cleared.
The former University of Wisconsin receiver left practice on July 30 when he fell awkwardly, and although he has been attending meetings -- an indication he has progressed through part of the NFL's concussion protocol -- there are still tests he needs to pass before he can practice again.

At this point, it appears Packers coach Mike McCarthy is willing to wait even though it's been nearly two years since Abbrederis last played in a game. He missed all of his rookie season because of a torn ACL he sustained early in training camp last summer. To that point, Abbrederis had drawn praise from quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and McCarthy reiterated that this week.

"Jared is a very good football player," McCarthy said. "He's one of those players you can [see] -- obviously you saw in college and just the time he's been on the field here -- it comes easy to him. It's natural. He's instinctive. His route running, connecting with the quarterback in the passing game, he probably did that as quickly as anybody we've had around here."

NFL rules prevent Abbrederis from talking to reporters until he's cleared from his latest concussion but despite a pre-draft report of a lengthy concussion history, Abbrederis and his agent, Rick Smith, have long maintained he had only one previous concussion. It occurred in 2012, and he missed one game. It was the only full game he missed his college career.

The Packers likely will keep five receivers. The first four spots, barring injuries, are locks: Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams and Ty Montgomery. That leaves Jeff Janis, Myles White and a group of undrafted rookies -- led by Larry Pinkard and Ed Williams -- for Abbrederis to beat out if he can return this preseason.
If he does not return before final roster cuts are due on Sept. 5, the Packers could:

Keep him on the 53-man roster and wait for him to be cleared.

Put him on injured reserve for the second straight year, which ends his season unless the Packers used their one "designated to return" tag.

Or release him.
The physically unable to perform (PUP) list is not an option. That's reserved only for players who did not pass their physical to start camp.

"Injuries are unfortunate," McCarthy said. "They're part of the game, and this is an injury that's obviously keeping him off the field."

The number of WRs we keep might depend upon how many TEs we keep. sh))

I admire Borland for forgoing the money and making a smart decision. You can't replace good health. Jared could end up with some serious problems later in life. It's a scary thing. If he was my son, I'd want him to quit.

I admire Borland for forgoing the money and making a smart decision. You can't replace good health. Jared could end up with some serious problems later in life. It's a scary thing. If he was my son, I'd want him to quit.
Borland's family has money though, don't they?

If I'm Abby, I'm not giving up just yet. But have a pretty good insurance policy.

Back