Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

I guess I’m reacting to rumors, for sure. I just couldn’t stand watching Ted do nothing but draft and UDFA’s. I don’t want the new guy spending like a drunken yuppie either. But use all avenues please. And puh-lease get a new trainer!

If we hire Wolf or Gutekunst, the one who doesn't get hired is probably gone. As is Russ Ball. Then we're still going to need new assistant GMs and a new guy to negotiate contracts and manage the cap well.

No matter who we hire, we'll have holes to fill.

There are rumors that McKenzie's role with the Raiders will be reduced after Gruden comes in so perhaps he'll be free to talk to Murphy?

There are rumors that McKenzie's role with the Raiders will be reduced after Gruden comes in so perhaps he'll be free to talk to Murphy?
I wouldn’t mind McKenzie at all. He inherited an absolute Greek Tragedy in Oakland. He did a pretty good, steady job getting them headed in the right direction, despite their owner. To partially borrow a line from that stellar bit of theater, Dumb and Dumber: No way I’d go to Oakland and work for that ‘pumpkin pie haircutted freak’! Good grief...you’re a millionaire. Hire a stylist!!! o_O dance)

My biggest hope is that the new GM, whoever that is, changes the culture of UDFAs that has run rampant under TT.

When TT first arrived you never heard of a UDFA really making the roster and competing for starting roles. Then you saw some UDFAs make the roster every year and contribute. This was seen as a feather in TT's cap - he could find talent everywhere. The likes of Sam Shields and Frank Zombo and Erik Walden all showed up and played and made impacts great and small. Then slowly but surely UDFAs permeated every position group. They went from being unexpected surprise contributors to necessary parts of the roster. Think about how UDFAs have been asked in recent years to play significant time at nearly EVERY. SINGLE. POSITION GROUP. CB, S, LB, OL, WR, RB and even QB (Graham Harrell anyone?!). I don't think it's normal, and it's a sign of roster decay.

TT showed up with a roster decaying due to age and bad contracts. He leaves behind a roster decaying from over-reliance on youth, inexperience and lack of leadership. Fix this and I think you cure a good chunk of what ails this team.

It is an opportunity for the Pack to start moving forward again. The old saying, "you're either getting better or getting worse." Since the debacle in Seattle NFCCG it seems that we've been sliding. We'd have a good game here and there, but always seemed to get embarrassed in the last game we played. Here's a link to an article that may shine a little different perspective on the GM search. Like others have said, no matter what- there are going to be holes to fill. Enjoy the read:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...calculation-personnel-vs-financial-experience

Very good article Dubz. Change was needed and that's what we're getting. It's not going to to be without risk and I believe that the article does a good job of touching on the intricacies.

...TT showed up with a roster decaying due to age and bad contracts. He leaves behind a roster decaying from over-reliance on youth, inexperience and lack of leadership. Fix this and I think you cure a good chunk of what ails this team.

youth and inexperience is a necessary evil in the business of professional football. for every guy that you overpay ( example, davante adams new salary was more than a million dollars a year above market for his production), you need a couple of guys making the minimum. udfa and rookie contracts are the best way to achieve that. it also doesn't help this situation when you have to pay one of the best qbs that ever played the game what he's worth.

if you've got a above average scouting department like the packers, you're going to be able to find 1-3 players every year that other teams overlooked who are good enough to at least be backups. you may have to kick the tires on 20 or so guys to find them though. and unfortunately, they're not always going to be guys at a position of need. taysom hill is a good example of that. the packers did not perceive qb as a position of need (boy were they wrong about that).

it would be awesome if we were able to sign aging veterans with something left in the tank for peanuts because they wanted a chance at a ring (ala the patriots), but green bay just doesn't have that kind of appeal. in fact, i'd almost be willing to bet that even if the packers had won three superbowls with rodgers at the helm, we still wouldn't have that luxury.

so you have to make compromises. you stock the bottom half of your roster with inexpensive resources and pray that you never have to rely on them. and every once in a while you get lucky and you find a sam shields.

Reality, the problem is, I'm not sure McCarthy would have played Taysom Hill even if he'd have been smart enough to keep him in the first place.

That's what makes me ill about them letting MM stay, while good men and coaches like Edgar and Trgovac take the fall. MM was the HC and all decisions lay right at his feet. He seems to be firing coaches just to look busy. Hold HIM accountable, I say.

I am not a fan of getting hiring Russ Ball. Its no secret that I dislike TT but theres something to be said for a scout GM constantly on the road perosnally doing the scouting. I just think he sucks at it but his intentions were good.

I dont see Russ Ball going out on the road and going to all star games and personally attending pro days. It would be a waste of his time even if he did because he wouldnt know what hes looking for.
Meanwhile both Wolf and Gutekunst have been mentored in that role already. Im leaning towards Wolf here. Hes the more inexperienced but I think he would be the more passionate and aggressive GM. I also think if Wolf gets the job Gutenkunst would leave.

Back