Teddy Bridgewater (possible) knee injury

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bridgewater went down at Vikings practice today, clutching his left knee. Practice was ended after only 25 minutes and Bridgewater was driven away by ambulance, assuming for testing. Those who saw it report that it was a non-contact injury.

If it turns out to be a serious injury it tilts the balance in the NFCN. Bridgewater, while not a star, is highly capable and a very good fit for the way that team has been built.

Bridgewater went down at Vikings practice today, clutching his left knee. Practice was ended after only 25 minutes and Bridgewater was driven away by ambulance, assuming for testing. Those who saw it report that it was a non-contact injury.

If it turns out to be a serious injury it tilts the balance in the NFCN. Bridgewater, while not a star, is highly capable and a very good fit for the way that team has been built.
true...on the flip side the way it was built makes it easy for another guy to come in. Ball control.. take what the D gives offense.

Shaun Hill though is a decent backup who could fill in a couple games but not a guy you want starting 16 games.

Bridgewater is over rated. Last year he had 13 TDs 8 Ints and they ranked 29th in the league in passing yards.
Those numbers are easily duplicated by almost any back up QB.
Mark Sanchez could do that!

The locker room loved him, that messes with a team in a weird way sometimes. Remains to be seen. Besides that, in terms of stats, he's still in development no doubt and not without question marks, but he was normally pretty accurate, consistently had nice touch and was good for a couple plays off scrambles per game. Can't undervalue that.

What do they even have in terms of back ups? Huge blow. I hate seeing these things happen to players like Teddy.

Huge blow indeed. He's a starting QB nonetheless and that hurts a team. I hate seeing these types of injuries regardless if it's a division rival.

What do they even have in terms of back ups?

Joel Stave will be the NFL MVP this season.

Also, I heard that the injury ended the entire practice session early, and there were clearly agitated and audibly disjointed players on the field right after it happened. It's not good.

Sounds like they are bringing back a guy they just cut to help fill in for last game. If they keep him into regular season probably depends on if they trade for anyone or pick up someone cut.

First I've seen on details of the injury:

"Source confirms tibiofemoral dislocation, ruptured ACL for Bridgewater. 'Trainers may have saved his leg and career by quick action.'"

They aren't kidding. A tibfem split carries a high chance (basically 50/50 when I learned it) of causing damage to the popliteal artery, which is a sub-branch of the femoral artery, and serves as the main artery that runs down to your lower leg. Fixing that requires prompt discovery, and even then there's a chance that full and proper use of your leg might not return.

And if it's only his ACL that is ruptured, that is also fortunate. The knee is held together by 4 sets of ligaments, two cruciate (inside, going across) and two collateral (outside, running vertically). We should all be familiar with the anterior cruciate ligament, and what it does. It's the two collateral ligaments (medial and lateral) that are torn during a knee dislocation.

The MCL is responsible for helping your knee bend backwards, and absorbing pressure while the knee is bent. It's commonly injured in skiing, and surprisingly, swimming. It's injured when there is too much force coming from the back of the knee.

The LCL is injured when there is too much pressure coming from the inside (from the body outwards) of the knee, and is usually injured by a direct blow, though it can occur through non-contact. If other ligaments are blowing, this one will go too. Injury to this ligament can be serious, as another artery and a nerve branch run along this tissue.

So I would be really surprised if it is only the ACL. Treatment will be dependent on putting the knee back in place first, and then hoping there isn't any real damage to the nerves or arteries.

My best guess is recovery will be similar to that of Marshall Newhouse*, and I'm not sure if he every fully recovered.

Update: it was Derek Sherrod who had that terrible leg injury, not Newhouse. That was pointed out down the thread. I apologize.

I spoke about his injury when we were discussing his future that season he ended up getting cut. His injury was still hampering his play 2+ seasons after it had occurred, and he still wasn't near where he was before.

Last edited:
Back