The Post McCarthy Thompson Rodgers Era

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So what will it be like? With so much angst with the current administration how will fans handle it.? Many posters and fans never heard of Jerry Tagge or Jim Del Gazo. Are we going to be a fan base who has a sense of entitlement like Noth Carolina basketball fans or Alabama football fans that nothing short of winning will never be tolerated? Or will we sit back and reflect on how good of run we had in the parity era? We are a spoiled fan base. It will be interesting to see

Part of me dreads the day, yet there's another part that will relish the inevitable changes.
Aaron Rodgers will be WAY more missed than both McCarthy and Thompson, IMO.
And McCarthy could be gone sooner than we think.
Whatever happens in the future, the Packers will always be a good draw.

I suspect there will be another TT/MM duo working with AR before he hangs 'em up, so I suspect there will be one more mini-era before this group is done completely. I suspect there will be down times but hopefully nothing like the Tagge-Del Gazo-Hunter times. I also suspect the current structure is better set up to not hire and allow incompetence like the crappy structure of the 70's and 80's. Say what you will about this groups missteps, it is nothing like the nearly 25 years of incompetence that preceded Harlan/Wolf/Holmgren.

While I'm in no hurry for this era to end, it's also kind of exciting to see what happens next. Maybe our next run to the top will have a Ravens/Seahawks/Broncos type of defense that carries us to the top with a game-manager at QB. I would have no problem with that.

I invented what I call a Perfect Cycle of Excitement. It's the most entertaining way possible to run a team to please modern fans.

You see, having an exciting season and a chance at a Super Bowl is no longer enough - every off-season should have drama as well (GB's by far biggest failing of late)!

To start the cycle, year one we'd load up to the max with UFAs, dominate and go on to win it all. Celebration all around!

The second year we'd lose some pieces and do somewhat worse, and fans could start to build up hatred. Coordinators are fired. Finally!

The third year the cap blows up, we lose more key talent and go on to earn a top 5 pick. GM and/or HC are fired, sating fans' blood lust. But it's fun to draft high, and new leaders are exciting

In fourth year we'd sign some UFAs, rally to about 8-8 behind those awesome high draft picks, and hope is renewed. Just a few pieces away...

Then we'd load up to the max with UFAs, dominate and go on to win it all. Celebration all around!

Continue ad infinitum.

-----

Man, I wish it worked so in real life...

Last edited:
If the team is still run like it is today and we have a good QB I doubt we'll return to the Dark Times of the 70s and 80s. During those days the EC stuck their noses into football operations and the HC was both HC and GM. After giving Sherman both positions I pray we never do that again. Those 2 jobs are too much for one man in today's game.

If the team is still run like it is today and we have a good QB I doubt we'll return to the Dark Times of the 70s and 80s. During those days the EC stuck their noses into football operations and the HC was both HC and GM. After giving Sherman both positions I pray we never do that again. Those 2 jobs are too much for one man in today's game.
Depends who has final control of the 53. New England has a GM by title but we all know who runs the show. The problem is if you want a high profile HC after McCarthy leaves some structure to the organization must be made. And there in itself is the Catch 22.

Who is the NE GM by title? I thought Belichick was the head coach and 'de facto' GM because they don't even have a person with that title.

Who is the NE GM by title? I thought Belichick was the head coach and 'de facto' GM because they don't even have a person with that title.

You are correct. My point was if you want the high profile guy you may need to change structure

Bill Belichick is the only HC who is also the GM in the league. This is the exception rather than the rule. We haven't had much success when we combined these jobs since Lombardi left.

Back