Tramon Williams brings experience to Packers' secondary

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Tramon Williams brings experience to Packers' secondary

o_O - we got rid of a young DB who was raw and needed coaching, but did have some potential....... And brought in an over the hill DB whose best attribute was speed, which he no longer has...

I just don't get this... At all.... sh)) I guess the depths of this rebuild are worse than I thought.. This is a warm body signing for GB... Only 3 mill in guarantees though.. So at least he's cheap... But there are younger guys out there with more potential..

Hang on Packerland, gonna be a bumpy ride this year...

Check out Randall on twitter. He has been loud and proud that he is a safety, and a safety only (who also happened to be good enough to be a top corner in the league in his mind...but I digress). So there were three options:

1. Stay the course. Keep him at corner and insist he play a position that he did not want to play. IMO this option was untenable, as he'd already clearly burned bridges with coaches and players, was a distraction, and was not going to be a benefit to the team this way.

2. Move him to safety. Probably the best option. Coaches swallow their pride and get the most out the players on the roster. "Don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he CAN do." I don't like Randall personally, but there's a thread from a month or so back where I advocated for trading HaHa and moving Randall to S because that's what he played in college and clearly CB wasn't really working out.

3. Trade him. Which is what we did. It's the easy way out but I get the logic in it.

So GB didn't do the best thing but they also didn't do the worst. But looking through all three options there is one take away - we need corners regardless. Either he was going to be on the team and be an unhappy CB not playing his best/hardest, he'd be on the team and not play CB, or he was not going to be on the team. So from that standpoint, yeah, they need warm bodies at the position, and emphatic yeah, the position needs a full overhaul, top to bottom. It'd be very difficult to do that in one off-season, especially with the cap constraints we have and other positions needing available help as well. It may be a bumpy ride but at least the team has taken a step in trying to rebuild it.

Randall had become a distraction on and off the field, and it spilled into the locker room. It happens. It's probably better for him and the Packers that he's no longer around.

Sometimes what looks lake a bad decision was the best possible one they can make. I think this was one of those cases.

Hopefully this works out in terms of team chemistry because it certainly didn't make the secondary better physically.

As for Tramon, it looked like he still had a little gas left in the tank last year. Hopefully he's one of those ageless wonders like Darrell Green or Terence Newman and he can give us a year until some younger guys are ready to take over.

Hopefully this works out in terms of team chemistry because it certainly didn't make the secondary better physically.

As for Tramon, it looked like he still had a little gas left in the tank last year. Hopefully he's one of those ageless wonders like Darrell Green or Terence Newman and he can give us a year until some younger guys are ready to take over.

Tramon had a 57 passer rating against last year. That's a hell of a lot better than the 80+ that Randall put up. I'd say the secondary got better. I know you said better physically but I don't care about being better physically. I want them to be better defensively. I think Tramon makes that happen.

Tramon had a 57 passer rating against last year. That's a hell of a lot better than the 80+ that Randall put up. I'd say the secondary got better. I know you said better physically but I don't care about being better physically. I want them to be better defensively. I think Tramon makes that happen.

Interesting perspective about them being better defensively, but not necessarily physically. It is a good point. We shouldn't care one iota if it's a bunch of 140# guys who get sand kicked in their face on the beach, as long as they can play winning football on defense.

Sometimes we forget this fact. Chuck Cecil was a prime example. He'd put guys on the sideline with hits.... then end up on the sideline himself because of those hits. Incredibly talented in some ways, yet an accident waiting to happen.

Chuck Cecil was a prime example. He'd put guys on the sideline with hits.... then end up on the sideline himself because of those hits. Incredibly talented in some ways, yet an accident waiting to happen.
Chuck Cecil, psycho killer! He was getting fines for helmet to helmet before the NFL was concerned about it, lol! Could you imagine him playing today? He'd owe more in fines then what he was making!

Back