What is life like as an Air Raid defensive coordinator in college football? Let them tell you

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Good read for Wisco folks not used to Air raid life...

The reaction to the question “So, I want to know what it’s like being an Air Raid defensive coordinator” usually falls into two categories: a long sigh or a chuckle. (And sometimes both.)

That tends to happen when you’re a coach who has been on the gut-churning side of a bunch of four-hour shootouts when your defense forces a half-dozen three-and-outs, causes three turnovers and still gives up 50 points. There’s a running joke among coaches that the only thing harder than defending the Air Raid is having to defend it every day at practice — and then defend something quite different on Saturdays.

The stats paint a grim picture. Among the lowest-ranked defenses in yards per play last season, many were schools that ran a version of the Air Raid on offense: USC (124th), Louisiana Tech (123rd), North Carolina (115th), North Texas (113th), West Virginia (108th) and Houston (102nd).

“You do know what you’re getting into,” one FBS defensive coordinator who has been part of an Air Raid defensive staff told The Athletic, “but I would rather coach with (an offensive coordinator) that is gonna be more run-oriented than a guy that is gonna try and outscore everybody, just for my own sanity.”

The subject of the Air Raid defensive coordinator has drawn more attention in the past year as Lincoln Riley transformed USC from 4-8 to 11-3, only to see its College Football Playoff hopes splinter because the defense imploded late in games. USC gave up an average of 16.5 points in the final quarter in its last four games, which included losses to Utah (47-24) in the Pac-12 championship and to Tulane (46-45) in the Cotton Bowl. It ranked 129th in fourth-quarter scoring defense for the season.

The Athletic spoke with a dozen coaches to sort out the unique challenges of running the defense on an Air Raid team. What’s real? What’s a myth? And why do the top-rated defenses often appear at places where fans tend to hate the offense?

The myth of being an Air Raid DC: Defense is soft​

1. Tackling and personnel matters​

Almost all of the coaches The Athletic spoke to for this story didn’t buy the knock that the Air Raid makes a team soft on defense.

“I don’t believe (it makes you soft), but I’m a firm believer in this: You have to tackle live,” said one defensive coordinator who has coached with a variety of OCs, including Air Raid coaches. He underscored that the issue of how much teams should tackle has become complicated.

He shared a story about a very good defense he was part of on a team that didn’t run the Air Raid. They tackled their scout team players on Tuesdays in-season and did a lot of tackling in spring ball and preseason camp. The staff moved on to a bigger school and had a stout defense in their first season there operating the same way, but then the head coach started to get the knock that he wasn’t a players’ coach.

His head coach felt like he needed to become more “player-centric” because he feared prospects and players didn’t want to come to that program anymore, according to the DC, so the team didn’t tackle as much at practice. Their defensive numbers began to sink.

“As we went on, we didn’t get the job done. I don’t want to make excuses for it, but our tackling regressed,” he said.

David Gibbs, a co-defensive coordinator at UCF, doesn’t believe in the “softness” myth either. Gibbs was once one of the hottest young defensive coaches in the sport. In 1997, at 29, he became the youngest DC in Division I when Glen Mason hired him at Minnesota. By his third season, Gibbs turned one of the Big Ten’s most consistently bad units into a defense ranked No. 8 in points allowed and pass efficiency defense.

In his one season at Auburn in 2005, the Tigers ranked No. 6 in scoring defense. At Houston, he improved the defense from No. 110 to No. 20 in his first year and to No. 15 his next. When Kliff Kingsbury hired him at Texas Tech in 2015, he inherited a unit that ranked second-to-last in scoring defense. Gibbs’ first two defenses in Lubbock ranked No. 125 and 128 in points allowed before improving to No. 98 and then to No. 86 in 2018, the year Kingsbury was fired.

“The truth is, and nobody will believe me, Kliff did a great job (running the team),” Gibbs said. “We practiced live tackling and we did a lot of things that people say Air Raid teams don’t do. We did. Every school is different. We were just so far behind recruiting that we couldn’t catch up.”

The numbers between where the Houston and Texas Tech teams ranked in average pass attempts per game are an interesting barometer to mirror the defensive struggles. In Gibbs’ four seasons, the Red Raiders ranked Nos. 2, 1, 8 and 4 in pass attempts per game, whereas Houston ranked Nos. 13 and 49 in his two seasons there. Gibbs, the son of legendary NFL offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, doesn’t attribute any of the struggles to a lack of physicality that stems from working for an Air Raid coach.

“Gibbs is a great example,” said Maryland safeties coach Zac Spavital, a co-defensive coordinator at Texas Tech after coaching defensive backs under Gibbs at Houston. “He’s a great defensive coordinator, and he was really good statistically at Houston. And then we go to Tech, and it’s like they don’t think he can call a defense.

“It’s a combination of a lot of things. It’s your personnel. They’re such a high-scoring offense that if you’re not great personnel-wise, your focus is on creating turnovers and creating negative plays and things like that, and then if you find a mismatch, it gets really tough. It doesn’t change him from being a good coach.

“I would say the biggest issue we had at Tech — and we started being a lot more competitive that last year — was players and the personnel, and it was huge. We left a defense at Houston and there’s still a lot of those guys playing in the NFL now 10 years later.”

2. All about evolution​

NC State DC Tony Gibson became the DC at West Virginia four years into Dana Holgorsen’s tenure as head coach. Another Leach protege, Holgorsen had made his own evolution that led to his best season in the Big 12 when their tempo and practice routine changed.

“In 2016, our time of possession and the tempo we played with just slowed down, and we were really good on defense and we won 10 games,” Gibson said. “It was a different approach. We had a ton of live reps in practice even into fall camp, where we were tackling to the ground. Dana really adapted to help the defense. We had more live stuff when I was with Dana at West Virginia than any place that I’ve ever been.”

Of course, there are different variations of the Air Raid. Leach, who died in December, and his protege Graham Harrell, now the offensive coordinator at Purdue, were considered by their colleagues to run the purest form of the Air Raid (the run game wasn’t something they were going to prioritize).

Holgorsen, Riley and his younger brother Garrett, now the offensive coordinator at Clemson, have evolved quite a bit since leaving Lubbock, as had Garrett Riley’s old boss at TCU, Sonny Dykes. They would be more than happy wearing defenses out with their running attacks. Still, it’s how they run the ball that might be different.

Lincoln Riley’s offense gashes opponents with its GT Counter run game, something Riley and his former O-line coach Bill Bedenbaugh developed.

“Lincoln took it pretty personally when he spoke to the team all the time, ‘They think we’re this and think we’re that (harping that opponents question their toughness and physicality),” said a former Riley assistant coach.

Alex Grinch, USC’s defensive coordinator, said he’s fortunate with Riley because of how much the Trojans do run the ball. In three seasons with Leach at WSU, the Cougars were last in the country in rushing attempts. In his first season at Oklahoma, the Sooners ran the ball more than twice as many times per game as Washington State.

“We get a good picture of the run game much more than the traditional Air Raid would give you,” he said. USC does inside run period every day.

“We stressed to our guys that it should be a defensive drill,” Grinch said. “It’s not Harbaugh coming downhill at you, but it’s gonna be perimeter run, which is still good work. It’s on us to make sure the physicality part is right, and that it’s initiated by the defense.”

The difficult truths of being an Air Raid DC​

1. Tempo and pacing​

For some DCs, the toughest aspects of the job are how their offense practiced their tempo plays, which isn’t unique to the Air Raid. (Leach didn’t rely on going up-tempo.) Holgorsen evolved what he did offensively as well as how he ran his practices, but back in his early days as a play caller in his first job for Kevin Sumlin at Houston after leaving Leach, the Cougars operated at a frenetic pace. In 2009, the Cougars led the nation in plays per game.

“I would walk off the field when I was with Dana and Sumlin at Houston and look around and be like, ‘What just happened? Did we even line up 11 guys in a stance on defense?’” Spavital said. “It was just so fast and crazy. Guys running onto the field, so unrealistic to what a game was like because it was all about just reps and reps and efficiency — catch and throw, catch and throw, catch and throw — then they’d hand the ball off on a light-box every 30 plays.”

When Gibbs and Spavital arrived at Texas Tech, their first practice had Davis Webb and Patrick Mahomes running the Air Raid with several future NFL receivers, leaving a memorable impression on the new defensive coaches.

“I felt like they scored 20 touchdowns in practice,” Spavital said. “They were dunking the ball and celebrating and we were like, how are we ever gonna get a defense with this? But Kliff did a good job of starting to blend it in.”

2. Tight ends​

Spavital noted the other big challenge has been recruiting coveted defenders to an Air Raid system.

“You can go get the top-rated wideouts, but if you’re not getting the defensive personnel drafted and them having the success, (and) that’s a tool that was really utilized against us in recruiting by certain schools,” he said.

One position on offense Air Raid staffs usually don’t recruit, though, is tight ends. Because of that, it can be a trickier formula to master when it comes to addressing the needs of each side of the ball, especially depending on who is in charge. The traditional Air Raid isn’t reliant on tight ends. Those bigger bodies that many programs utilize as X-factors and to play “big boy” football seldom exist on Air Raid rosters.

“Where it’s really difficult is all spring long, you’re going against that offense so you’re not seeing the power-run games, the gap schemes, the tight end sets,” Gibson said.

Being able to run enough 12 personnel or condensed formations is problematic, according to one D-line coach who has been on Air Raid staffs. “You’re just not used to seeing it,” said the coach. “You gotta grab a defensive end, throw him over at tight end on scout team, and he’s like ‘OK, whatever,’ and he gives you a shitty-ass look.”

3. Game planning for teams that don’t run what you run​

Spavital, who worked at Texas State for his brother Jake (an Air Raid coach), estimated that opponents the Bobcats faced in the Sun Belt ran about 40 to 50 percent similar concepts they’d see in practice from their own offense.

“They all say that there’s a physical aspect to it, but I’ll be honest, that was probably 15 years ago when the Air Raid was just starting,” Spavital said. “Now, all these coaches — Lincoln, Dana, Jake — they’ve all done well at adapting to the run game part and being able to have periods to practice it and segment their practices a lot differently. That’s helped.”

USC may run GT Counter 15 times a practice, but last year, the Trojans’ defense might’ve seen that only 15 total times for the entire season, according to a former coach. GT Counter, though, is something Grinch’s defense is going to see a ton of, particularly in spring football, as Riley’s offense reps to get its timing down.

“You have to have some answers for that,” said the former Riley staffer. “You can’t just sit there and get your teeth beat in for 15 practices.”

That, too, is rooted in the psychology of coaching defense. Grinch talks a lot about scripting for success. At Washington State, there were no tight ends in Leach’s program. Grinch would grab a linebacker and use him as the scout team’s tight end. Otherwise, the defense never went up against a tight end in spring or preseason camp.

4. Confidence issues​

The offense Grinch sees every day at USC practice has produced three of the past five Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks — and that doesn’t include Jalen Hurts, who came in second in 2019 and just led the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Knowing the skill they’re facing every day in practice, it wouldn’t be hard to come away from all that reeling mentally with your confidence shot.

That’s something Grinch has thought a lot about. He knew how big of a piece the psychological aspect of his job was after being around OU and observing how whenever his players gave up a big play, it triggered a defeated response of, “Oh, no, here we go again.”

“It’s about making sure you’re not a victim in practice to where it’s like, ‘Well, we can’t stop ’em because they’ve got Caleb Williams,’ or, ‘We can’t stop ’em because they have Jalen Hurts,’” Grinch said. “If you create the mentality that you’re somehow lesser or not expected to perform at certain levels, it’s hard to flip that switch during the season. We expect to perform at a high level and we will hold guys accountable when they don’t. And it’s hard but you can do hard things.”

So how do Air Raid DCs make it work — or try to fix it?​

1. Alex Grinch: ‘Words matter’​

No DC is more versed in the life of an Air Raid DC than Grinch. The 43-year-old is in his third stop running the defense for an Air Raid head coach, first working for Leach at Washington State and then for Riley, a Leach protege, at Oklahoma and USC. At each program, he inherited a dreadful defense.

At Washington State, his defense went from No. 117 to No. 74 in his first season to No. 50 in Year 2. Oklahoma improved from No. 101 to No. 64 in his debut season before jumping to No. 28 in his second year.

The Trojans were No. 103 in 2021 and No. 93 in his first year. People inside the program, Grinch included, are expecting a big improvement on that side of the ball this season. An influx of transfer talent, including two former five-star D-line recruits who transferred in from the SEC, plus linebacker Mason Cobb, Oklahoma State’s leading tackler, should provide a much-needed boost.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Wasserman: USC's big recruiting day shows it doesn't have to be a one-dimensional program

Riley and Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams should ensure that USC has another explosive offense that’ll carry the team into the top 10, but making sure the Trojans defense has the right mindset probably will determine whether they can make a run at a national title. Getting caught leaning too much emotionally on a great offense can end up undermining a defense.

“I think what’s really critical for defensive coaches attached to high-scoring offenses is to make sure that you don’t use that as an excuse,” Grinch said. “That’s the biggest slippery slope in my opinion.

“The scariest thing is when guys think, ‘It’s OK, the offense will come save us. All we gotta do is get a couple of stops and a couple of takeaways and we can call it a good game.’ You just can’t play victim. Words matter. You’re just never gonna hear that from us.”

2. It helps if your boss has a defensive mind​

Mark Snyder spent three seasons as an Air Raid DC at Texas A&M from 2012-14. His defense helped the Aggies have their best season in a half-century when they finished No. 5 in 2012. Two seasons later, he was fired. In his eyes, Bob Stoops set the standard on how to run a defense for an Air Raid team.

Stoops’ first OC hire at Oklahoma was Mike Leach. The thought of the Air Raid at the place that dominated college football for generations with its power running game seemed bizarre then. Snyder was at Ohio State with Jim Tressel when they visited Stoops at OU and was blown away.

“He had to manufacture the mentality of it,” Snyder said. “He had the formula for that stuff. It was like, ‘When they get big, you gotta be able to get big and bust them in the mouth.’”

Stoops ran a lot of goal-line tackling drills, and he would bring down his second unit to run inside drill for 15 minutes. The Buckeyes coaches observed that the whistle didn’t blow until Stoops was satisfied.

“It was a stinkin’ bloodbath,” Snyder said. “It was what we were used to every day at Ohio State.”

Stoops went to Norman after three seasons as Florida’s defensive coordinator for passing-game whiz Steve Spurrier. In his first season in Gainesville, Stoops, a former Big Ten DB at Iowa who had come from Bill Snyder’s Kansas State staff, helped Spurrier and the Gators win the national title in 1996.

“I had an advantage those other (Air Raid defensive guys) didn’t have,” Stoops said with a laugh. “Mike was my coordinator and I was the head coach.”

At the time of Stoops’ taking over at OU, Nebraska and Kansas State were powerhouses the Sooners had to deal with. Stoops could set up how long inside drill would run. Leach might not have wanted to do it that long, but that wasn’t his call. Stoops, the son of a celebrated high school defensive coordinator in Ohio, believes defense, for the most part, is reactive, and it always took a little more time and drilling to get the defense where it needed to be.

“Part of practice was for Mike and our offense, and the other part of practice, I was emphatic — and he didn’t challenge me — was, we’re going to get in these other formations for the defense. I had (Mark) Mangino on my staff who understood what plays we needed and how to block ’em. Part of my spring there always were certain segments that were gonna be physical and heavy run game and that was for the defense. And Mike had his segment when he was gonna do his deal, which I loved. I didn’t fight any of that.

“I had a little bit of a similar deal with Coach Spurrier. I’d be arguing every day for five more minutes of inside drill, 10 more minutes of team-period: ‘I can’t get it done this fast.’ I’d ask for 15 and he’d say, ‘All right Bobby, I’ll give you 10.’ I experienced that before being a head coach with Coach Spurrier, and he would accommodate me, to a degree.”

So, why do the top-rated defenses often appear at places where fans tend to hate the offense?​

It seems a lot easier these days to identify who is a good offensive coordinator than a defensive coordinator when a coach’s stock — at least statistically — can plummet dramatically from one year to the next. The top five scoring defenses in college football in 2022 were Illinois, Iowa, Air Force, Minnesota and Georgia. Perhaps not coincidentally, those teams ranked No. 78, No. 110, No. 131, No. 126 and No. 55 in offensive pass attempts per game.

“Coaching defense nowadays is impossible no matter where you are,” said one veteran defensive coordinator. “Unless you’re in the Big Ten, and then you got a chance.”

Presented with the rankings of the five stingiest scoring defenses, the coach said he thinks the head coaches in the Big Ten are more old-school.

“I don’t think Ohio State is old-school. They’re different,” he said. “Michigan is a little bit different because they have all those tight ends, but you would much rather have them line up in two tight ends and run you over, but they’re only gonna score so many points. They’re not as explosive. When you were in the Big 12, there were three or four NFL quarterbacks in that league. To me, that’s different. C.J. Stroud. Beast. Ohio State could’ve beaten Georgia easily. We act like Georgia’s the best thing ever, but they’re one play away from not winning that game.

“Georgia’s defense is they just got all those cats. Air Force’s defense is an anomaly. The Big Ten, just talking to coaches I know there, they’re very simple and they just try and control the clock. They’re just trying to shorten the game and give themselves chances to win games. For whatever reason it works up there, and they keep doing it. But those teams are never gonna win national championships either.”

For another old defensive coach, he’s also looking at history that he isn’t about to let repeat itself. His son, still a teenager, is an aspiring football coach.

“He’s gonna coach offense,” the dad said. “I am not gonna expose him to some of the years when you feel like you did your best job coaching ever, and you got fired. Truth is, that’s what happens when you’re on defense.”

Back