Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

I also would not call Janis a surprise. People have been calling for him to be cut for the last year or so. Don't know why I still have hopes for him. I also agree that if he is cut he will do well on another team that can utilize his skill set.

My surprise is.....I don't know how much of a surprise, Allison. He is suspended for the 1st game but although he contributed last year, I don't think he is on steady ground either. Especially if some of the rookie WR really show up, ie. McCaffrey, Yancey or Dupree.

Cobb for me as well. Just based on the cap $ they save. I think rather then cut they could trade him.

Geronimo Allison is going to have a tough go of making the team. So I wouldn't call it a surprise if he were cut. Janis really wouldn't be a surprise cut either. One could argue it would be a surprise if he didn't get cut, lol! If Cobb got cut that would certainly be a surprise! But he's not going to be cut. Richard Rodgers would be a bit of a surprise, but I have heard only good things about him during training camp.

My surprise cut will be Joe Thomas. Average to below average tackling technique. With Josh Jones picked, Capers seems serious about the Nitro with Burnett, Jones and Brice. So Packers may just go with Martinez and Ryan inside with the modified safeties.

However, he was signed this off-season on a one year contract worth $615,000 and has been playing with the first team. Maybe Martinez would be the bigger surprise cut?

I would really be surprised if Martinez was cut. I don't think he has done a bad job. He did cause that fumble in the Eagles' game. He is also a 2nd or 3rd...can't remember...draft pick. No way does TT let go of a high draft pick this early.

I would really be surprised if Martinez was cut. I don't think he has done a bad job. He did cause that fumble in the Eagles' game. He is also a 2nd or 3rd...can't remember...draft pick. No way does TT let go of a high draft pick this early.
Round 4, pick 36 (#131): Blake Martinez, inside linebacker,
But I would also be surprised if he was cut. Blake and Jake Ryan are still developing and haven't "sh** the bed" so I think they'll get another year to develop. I think Oak might be onto something with Joe Thomas though. The Nitro package might be his undoing.

I keep thinking about Joe Thomas being touted as the perfect example of an inside linebacker in Capers system, just a year ago. Now, questions about his staying in GB?

That's not unheard of. They did the same thing with Barnett, then Hawk. Always looking for the "fall guy" to take the heat for previous failures. It doesn't matter if they're right. They just make those moves.

Back