Why did the team cut Tim Masthay?

PackerShrine

Reaction score
Talk about a real head scratcher. When Mortell was brought in to compete for the Punting position and then was recently cut, it had most of us certain that Tim Masthay was a LOCK.
Then yesterday he's cut and replaced by a cut Bucanneer player named Jacob Schum.
My understanding is Masthay and Schum's stats are pretty much a wash, and Schum hasn't kicked much in cold weather.

Something does not add up....what the heck?

Last edited:
My guess is we may never know why Masthay was cut. Maybe something happened after Mortell was released that pissed off MM. It is definitely a head scratcher but as bad as Masthay was at times last year I really don't have an issue with him being released. Now his replacement is a different story.

I think I figured out why they picked up Schum. Fans can now yell Schuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum since Kuhn is no longer in GB.

My guess is we may never know why Masthay was cut. Maybe something happened after Mortell was released that pissed off MM. It is definitely a head scratcher but as bad as Masthay was at times last year I really don't have an issue with him being released. Now his replacement is a different story.

Masthay did a Jackie and hit on the HC daughter? LOL

Masthay made some bad punts at crucial times. Maybe it's simply the Packers brass realizing our play in several aspects of our game has let down at crucial times and they're trying to clean that up. Also, Schum's base salary is $700,000 less than Masthay's.

That's all I have. It is an interesting turn of events, but not one that will backfire like many believe, IMO.

Perhaps he was an asshat in the locker room at times. Like you said, we'll never know the real reason. Either way, he punted 6 seasons for us, including the Super Bowl year in 2010.
I guess it will remain strange the way the team suddenly let him go.

MM and TT's way of saying no one's position is safe?!? You know, they're tough that way....sending messages and all. [sarcasm off]

I think we are reading way to much into this.

Masthay was never safe due to production and I'm sure the staff had a short list. How the front office evaluates these guys who knows. It would not shock me to see guys to be brought in and get a look

Evidently our new punter has consistently better hang time and is good at getting it inside the 20 than Masthay did. He punted in Buffalo in college so he should be able to punt in GB. I hope he is a decent holder...

27% of Schum's 56 punts last year were inside the 20. 22% of Masthay's 81 punts were.
27% of Schum's 56 punts last year resulted in a fair catch. Only 17% of Masthay's were.

This might indicate a decent hang time or it may mean they were short punts. There really isn't a good stat for punting because Gross and Net yards don't tell the entire story.

Back