Wisconsin Fires Paul Chryst

With what I've seen on PC and AD Mac agreeing to reduce PC's buyout (from $19.5m to "significantly less" per Potrykus), i feel like it lends credence to PC not necessarily being tossed out but in having some say in the timing.

Either that, or he's a heck of a guy that takes blame for the poor performance.

He hung on to Rudolph way too long.

With what I've seen on PC and AD Mac agreeing to reduce PC's buyout (from $19.5m to "significantly less" per Potrykus), i feel like it lends credence to PC not necessarily being tossed out but in having some say in the timing.

Either that, or he's a heck of a guy that takes blame for the poor performance.

He hung on to Rudolph way too long.
His culture was flawed, to be honest. FLaPack as my witness I stated this was coming 2 years ago. He failed to acquire talent(recruiting) and lost some solid asst coaches while hanging on to his small circle. If you are at UW Platteville or HS that might work but in the Big Ten...nope. ( I expect PC to show up as a OC somewhere in a couple seasons)

As to Jim L, he has the same talent to work with as PC. He might get a couple of wins on the rebound but if Chris M is truly concerned about the long-term then a full search with a new staff and HC should be the result.

This isn’t Wisconsin 1990 when half the stadium was full. Football revenue rules college athletics. The Badgers have done relatively well the last 30 years. They’ve invested and upgraded Camp Randall twice during that timeframe. The program has expected followers to pay back their loyalty accordingly. Granted, it’s not LSU or Alabama or Texas or Oklahoma or Georgia or OSU or Michigan but UW is probably still a top 25 revenue generating program overall. Back in 2020, Wisconsin was ranked 13th overall with almost 90M generated.

No one expects them to win national championships, but the image of 1/4 of the stadium empty in the 4Q should have set off alarm bells.

Chryst was running Wisconsin like it was still 1988. He won’t be missed.

I'm curious to see how Leonard handles the QB situation. I think running off Coan, committing the Mertz, and sticking with him cost Chryst as much as anything. I don't think the Badgers have much to lose by giving Burkett more opportunities and going with a mobile QB. But the overall talent has gotten worse each year.

It's going to be interesting say Leonard goes 5-3 in his last 8 team finishes 7-5 gets a bowl game. Will his supporters be able to use that to say he did enough he should get the interm tag taken off.

Couple of takes :
  • This was very “UN Wisconsinlike” with the timing. Just curious what input The Emperor had
  • Unfortunately it’s Jim L’s job to lose. Not that I don’t like the guy. I just don’t see this as a silver bullet
  • The underlying issue at UW is not on the field or locker room, and even above McIntosh. Don’t care who they hire unless the administration opens up the wallet don’t care who they hire
  • Player development has been weak and that’s being kind. TJ Bolers can’t see the field, Logan Brown has been a disappointment and well we know about Mertz. That’s 2 4 Star Kids and 1 5 star who should be the foundation of the program
  • The point above, Allen is only playing RB because we could not recruit the position and that’s malpractice. Allen should be a stud safety
  • Mertz will be in the portal at the end of the year, and there will be more

It's going to be interesting say Leonard goes 5-3 in his last 8 team finishes 7-5 gets a bowl game. Will his supporters be able to use that to say he did enough he should get the interm tag taken off.
Easy answer. Yes

Couple of takes :
  • This was very “UN Wisconsinlike” with the timing. Just curious what input The Emperor had
  • Unfortunately it’s Jim L’s job to lose. Not that I don’t like the guy. I just don’t see this as a silver bullet
  • The underlying issue at UW is not on the field or locker room, and even above McIntosh. Don’t care who they hire unless the administration opens up the wallet don’t care who they hire
  • Player development has been weak and that’s being kind. TJ Bolers can’t see the field, Logan Brown has been a disappointment and well we know about Mertz. That’s 2 4 Star Kids and 1 5 star who should be the foundation of the program
  • The point above, Allen is only playing RB because we could not recruit the position and that’s malpractice. Allen should be a stud safety
  • Mertz will be in the portal at the end of the year, and there will be more
Thing is were will Mertz go? I don't know if there will be many options for him. At least at a power 5 school.

This isn’t Wisconsin 1990 when half the stadium was full. Football revenue rules college athletics. The Badgers have done relatively well the last 30 years. They’ve invested and upgraded Camp Randall twice during that timeframe. The program has expected followers to pay back their loyalty accordingly. Granted, it’s not LSU or Alabama or Texas or Oklahoma or Georgia or OSU or Michigan but UW is probably still a top 25 revenue generating program overall. Back in 2020, Wisconsin was ranked 13th overall with almost 90M generated.

No one expects them to win national championships, but the image of 1/4 of the stadium empty in the 4Q should have set off alarm bells.

Chryst was running Wisconsin like it was still 1988. He won’t be missed.
Generating revenue is one thing. Spending is another. For decades UW has underpaid its assistant coaches, not given resources to recruiting and facilities upgrades. Alvarez almost left at one point and BB to Arkansas was a money issue.

Thing is were will Mertz go? I don't know if there will be many options for him. At least at a power 5 school.
70/30 he’s gone. He’s an adequate QB who has shown signs this year he can play. Still makes some head scratchers but watch football on Saturdays and yeah he will have options

Back