2019 Packers Free Agency

So free agency is less then a month away. The Packers have some money to spend but not huge amounts like some teams. I would like to see them sign one pass rusher. To me two guys to look at who likely won't be the most expensive guys to go after but would be either Ravens Da'Zarius Smith or Redskins Preston Smith. I think both are upgrades to over what we have had with Clay Matthews the last few years. Both might come in around the the 8-10 million range maybe a bit more just do the fact the salary cap keeps going up and there is always a lack of decent pass rushers on the free agent market. Beyond that I might consider bringing back Kendricks if he comes cheap on a 1-2 year deal. If not look maybe at a guy like Charles Clay on that 1-2 year deal until you feel you have a rookie that the team should draft ready. OL does not seem ever to have much out there in FA and might be able to find one or two ok backup level guys but that might be it. Safety seems deep in free agency and could be able to find one or two decent players there that would not be very expensive if you choose not to get one early in the draft. Beyond that I can't see the team being major players in free agency for other guys and using cash to lock up players to extended deals.
Well was off on their prices but at right on getting them both. So I guess like we have a draft guru I am the pages FA guru LOL

Packer's FA Signings Today: (Being updated as info comes in)
Billy Turner, OL - 4yr, $28 mil ($11mil in yr 1)
Adrian Amos, SS - 4yr, $37 mil ($14mil in yr 1, $7 yr 2)
Preston Smith, LB - 4yr, $52 mil (13/yr avg, $16m guar)
Za'Davious Smith, LB - 4yr, $66 mil ($34.5mil in 1st 2yrs; $20m signing bonus)

P. Smith: 16 million signing bonus cap hits 2019: $6 million 2020: $13.5 million 2021: 16 million 2022: $16.5 million
B Turner: 9 million signing bonus cap hits 2019: $4.25 2020: $7.65 2021: $8.05 2022: $8.1
A. Amos: 11 million signing bonus cap hits 2019: $5.9 million 2020: $9.4 million 2021: $10.05 million 2022: $10.65 million
Z. Smith: 20 million signing bonus cap hits 2019: $7.25 million 2020: $17.25 million 2021: $20.75 million 2022: $20.75 million

Total paid out in SB $56 million.

Last edited:
Packers re-sign Mercedes Lewis to 1 year deal.

With about $40mil in CAP hit for 2020 one these new deals, and a few guys of our own to re-sign, I'm wondering if the draft skews towards finding replacements for guys who they won't want back or will want to cut next spring.

In addition to finding a RT in this draft to replace Bulaga, might they also look at a LG so they can take Taylor's contract off the books. In a draft deep at DL, they might also be looking for a Mike Daniels replacement if they don't want to spend money on a new deal for him next spring. And of course they have to be looking for a TE so they can move on from Graham's CAP number. Maybe those looming future deals and CAP cuts should be looked at as a "need" list for the draft.

With about $40mil in CAP hit for 2020 one these new deals, and a few guys of our own to re-sign, I'm wondering if the draft skews towards finding replacements for guys who they won't want back or will want to cut next spring.

In addition to finding a RT in this draft to replace Bulaga, might they also look at a LG so they can take Taylor's contract off the books. In a draft deep at DL, they might also be looking for a Mike Daniels replacement if they don't want to spend money on a new deal for him next spring. And of course they have to be looking for a TE so they can move on from Graham's CAP number. Maybe those looming future deals and CAP cuts should be looked at as a "need" list for the draft.

Next year 5 players will have $94 million in cap for the Packers. That could be close to 50% of the cap. Plus there is like 7 other players who are very likely to be on roster with another 40.7 million of cap so you could have about 70% of the cap going to about 25% of the roster.

And it gets a little worse as time goes on. Better hope the top guys are REALLY good and there are a bunch of good role players on rookie or otherwise favorable deals.

Next year 5 players will have $94 million in cap for the Packers. That could be close to 50% of the cap. Plus there is like 7 other players who are very likely to be on roster with another 40.7 million of cap so you could have about 70% of the cap going to about 25% of the roster.

but it's not as scary as it sounds. if you look at the projected salary cap situation for 2020 you can see that once you get past the top ten guys, virtually everyone is still on their rookie contracts. plus we will be adding more rookies this year and cycling out some of the players that are approaching the end of their rookie deals. and graham is very likely to be cut, freeing up another $8 million (after subtracting the dead cap). the only really important new contract is kenny clark, and a big chunk of his signing will be covered by the release of graham. we should still have enough money to sign a couple of free agents if we need to.

Back