2022-23 Packers Season Prediction Thread

Like it or not parity in the NFL is alive and well. 17 teams are .500 or worse, you can lead the NFC South at 5-5, last years SB Champ is 3-6. I’ve said for years the the gap between 1-20 in this league is razor thin. Hell Washington just beat Philadelphia in Philly.

As bad as GB is this year they are probably 3-4 plays away from being 7-4 or 3-4 plays away from being 1-8. Pick your glass half full or empty. All that and the reality is that it’s an aging team with 12, 69 and 18 on the downside, the lack of depth is hooked to the inability to draft effectively from rounds 3 on down and they are playing the piper now for going all in the last 3 years with no hardware to show for it.

If Ryan Tannehill, Jalen Hurts or Geno Smith can win in this league so can Jordan Love. It comes down to how many complimentary pieces can you add. Watson and Doubs look like they can play, Alexander, Clark and Gary look like you can build around them. Now is the FO capable of adding the right mix? I have my serious doubts. Is the staff capable of winning without a generational QB who covered up multiple warts? I have my serious doubts also.
You can retool if you're making that switch. It becomes a completely different team schematically with Love.

No one in the past 20 years of the Ted Thompson scouting tree in GB has been able to identify a halfway decent Tight End. I know TE is one of those positions where the top 3 guys are major impact players but there isn't a lot of difference between #4 and #15, but having something like a top 15 TE, a true TE, would be huge for this offense and especially for a young QB like Love, and it's surprising it hasn't been as much of a focus in ML's time here. I'm not really sure what team building looks like when the team is bigger than Aaron Rodgers and not the other way around.

I don't think any of us expected Rodgers to hit the wall the way he did this year.

You can retool if you're making that switch. It becomes a completely different team schematically with Love.
I think Love is going to be more of a QB who will have sucess if he finds the right system. I don't think he an be a Favre or Rodgers who can just do whatever they want to because they have the talent to do what most QB's could not do.

Let's not forget with the way the Front Office went after Love and then Kowtowed to Rodgers, we won't get any cheap Love years on a rookie contract to build a roster.

Players play and win games.

But the Chess game of winning championships is in the Front Office, and ours has botched it horribly.

Re: Love - they actually know by now right? They see him every day, they see practice, they see his habits, they really value practice results almost as much as games… so they know if they can work with him as a starter. Maybe they’re guessing at his ceiling but they know if he can play or not right?

The situation with Rodgers last offseason was so unique I don’t think Love’s future had anything to do with that. The two time reigning MVP wanted to come back, it was beyond the courage of anyone in the Packers org to make the decision to move on no matter how good Love looked. They’re too close to the history and to the culture, it would have taken a ruthless narcissistic outsider like Ron Wolf or a stern, stubborn zealot like Ted Thompson to trade him. And now the money with Rodgers is such an issue I really believe they’d need to trade picks away just to get rid of his salary along with the player so they may keep him yet regardless.

I guess that’s a way of saying, I don’t know if playing Love before they’re mathematically eliminated or at all will tell us or the team anything that the team doesn’t already know or sense.

Re: Love - they actually know by now right? They see him every day, they see practice, they see his habits, they really value practice results almost as much as games… so they know if they can work with him as a starter. Maybe they’re guessing at his ceiling but they know if he can play or not right?

The situation with Rodgers last offseason was so unique I don’t think Love’s future had anything to do with that. The two time reigning MVP wanted to come back, it was beyond the courage of anyone in the Packers org to make the decision to move on no matter how good Love looked. They’re too close to the history and to the culture, it would have taken a ruthless narcissistic outsider like Ron Wolf or a stern, stubborn zealot like Ted Thompson to trade him. And now the money with Rodgers is such an issue I really believe they’d need to trade picks away just to get rid of his salary along with the player so they may keep him yet regardless.

I guess that’s a way of saying, I don’t know if playing Love before they’re mathematically eliminated or at all will tell us or the team anything that the team doesn’t already know or sense.
They may have a guess by now but practice only tells you so much. When your evaluation is limited to the guy running the scout team it’s hard.

Until Love gets extended real game play time might as well throw a dart blindfolded at a dart board. Sure you can see what he’s like in some instances but like with workout warriors in camp it’s not reliable.

We will need to be relastic with Love we can't expect him to be Rodgers. How many teams have top 5 elite QB's? If we get an above average starter out of Love I think that is a win.

Some did and Father Time is unpredictable. He’s 39 in December, he temped fate
I've said in threads going back a year or two, but Peyton Manning threw 55TDs one year, then 39, then 15 and he was done before 40. It happens. That said, I did not think it would happen to Rodgers like this, and to be fair he hasn't lost zip on the ball since last year (IMO he lost a fair amount post-2017 injury - watch film from 2016 and the ball absolutely explodes out of his hand, unreal), it's really accuracy that has suffered and he's not seeing the field well.

Back