2023 Badger Football Thread

Based on what he’s brought in and how many 4-5 star kids have CU in the top 5 I’m not counting him out. The PAC 12 gets more “doable” with USC & UCLA out. Boulder is a fantastic campus
From what I've read, UW has brought in just as many or more high rated players via the portal. But I also read that they didn't have a great year for new signings / commitments. Will they be improved - maybe - but now he's going to actually have to coach.

Interesting fact. Despite the colleges they come from, look at the home locations for all the QBs that Fickell and his people have brought on board. You're going to get a real taste of Texas HS football.

Wow Fickell is going out and getting his WR to run his system. Be nice if he could get one more guy as right now have 2 maybe 3 who can run the system

I think your underselling guys a little. I think they now have 5-7 guys who can do what Longo needs to do. (With the need to rotate guys in, plus injuries and other issues, Longo likely needs that many.) They've brought in 4 transfers who they think fit the system. Also don't discount the guys they already have.

Even with a total craptastic passing offense last year, Dike got 47 catches for nearly 700yds last year, with Bell and Lewis getting 30 and 20 catches respectively. With what's been added these guys are likely no longer your #1,2,3 guys. They might be your #2, 4, and 6 guys. They've already proven they can be productive against P-5 #1 and #2 CBs/defenders but now likely have smaller roles against #3 and #4 CBs/defenders.

That said, while I think they are fine at WR, I won't be upset if they find another one.

Matt Mitchell is an interesting hire. Same school that Brian Kelly came from with similar success. Not sure of his qualifications other than he has coached LBs in the past.

I'm thinking an important component of his skillset in addition to coaching LBs and STs is that he has considerable contacts and experience in recruiting that 350 mile radius that Fickell mentions. At GVSU essentially his entire roster comes from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Indiana. He obviously has made tons of inroads and contacts with the high school coaches in those 4 states.

What is SP+?
What is SP+? In a single sentence, it's a tempo- and opponent-adjusted measure of college football efficiency. I created the system at Football Outsiders in 2008, and as my experience with both college football and its stats has grown, I have made quite a few tweaks to the system.

SP+ is indeed intended to be predictive and forward-facing. It is not a résumé ranking that gives credit for big wins or particularly brave scheduling -- no good predictive system is. It is simply a measure of the most sustainable and predictable aspects of football. If you're lucky or unimpressive in a win, your rating will probably fall. If you're strong and unlucky in a loss, it will probably rise.

Back