Andrew Quarless appears headed for IR, per report

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9033855.0.jpg

One way or another, Packers tight end Andrew Quarless' season has ended.

When the Green Bay Packers take the field this Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals, don't expect to see Andrew Quarless among them. Thursday night, the tight end announced on his Instagram account that his season has "come to an end not by choice."

Quarless spent most of the 2015 season on short-term injured reserve while recovering form a knee injury. Green Bay activated him for its first game in Arizona back on Dec. 27, but he has played only sparingly since returning.

With Davante Adams' knee injury believed to keep him sidelined this weekend, it seems likely the Packers decided to add another wideout. If so, the team would need to open up a spot on the 53, thus necessitating Quarless' apparent roster move. While the exact nature of Quarless' status change remains unclear, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein reports that Green Bay has not released him nor has the NFL suspended him. Accordingly, Quarless will most likely end up on season-ending injured reserve.

Assuming the Packers intend on signing a receiver to replace Quarless, they have two options on their practice squad. Ed Williams, a rookie out of Fort Hays State, spent all of 2015 with the team and appears the most likely candidate for promotion. Green Bay could instead choose Jamel Johnson, a physically imposing wideout from Alabama State signed back in Week 14.

[BCOLOR=#FFC20E]Jason B. Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Company. He also serves as an NFL writer for SB Nation and Sports on Earth and is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.
Follow @by_JBH[/BCOLOR]​

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

What a shame. He'll be a UFA, and this likely spells an end to his career here since TT hopefully strives to upgrade the position in the off season.

Please note that he didn't actually gripe about being put on IR, though it must've been frustrating. He wrote: "[BCOLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Wanted to be the first to thank all my loyal fans who have supported me this past year.. You all have been a blessings to my life.. My season has come to an end not by choice but I will continue to trust Gods plan for my life"[/BCOLOR]

I know they want another WR on the roster but why not put Adams with a sprained MCL on IR vs Q ? Kind of an odd move. Agree with salmar80 it's the end of Q in GB. Never could stay healthy enough to show us what his full ceiling was.

I know they want another WR on the roster but why not put Adams with a sprained MCL on IR vs Q ? Kind of an odd move. Agree with salmar80 it's the end of Q in GB. Never could stay healthy enough to show us what his full ceiling was.

I think they are hoping if they would make it to the Super Bowl Adams could have a chance to play. I think with Q the knee was just not 100% and no use in him getting hurt and packers being on hook for it.

Ted, would it have killed you to trade a low round pick or two for Vernon Davis? Man alive. This team is seriously short on weapons now. Without Q and Adams, how on earth can this team even hope to win this game? sh))

Losing Montgomery and, of course Jordy, has been just too much to overcome, imo. Would have been interesting to see what they would have done if those guys had stayed healthy.

Vernon Davis isn't exactly setting the league on fire in Denver. I suspect they will promote Ed Williams off the PS to take Q's place.

Not to mention Q has only seen limited time in the last three games and has 2 catches for 17 yards.

Not to mention Q has only seen limited time in the last three games and has 2 catches for 17 yards.
Abby next man up? I like the kid and think he can surprise people.

I don't know Ed Williams. I guess at this point it doesn't really matter. No stud TE is gonna be available now anyway. Maybe Vernon just doesn't fit what they do in Denver. It would have been worth the risk, imo.

I think it was the knee injury in 2011 that really ruined his career. He never got that speed and quick twitch back. Kind of amazing to think that in the beginning of 2010 we had two very athletic, promising (to different extents, obviously) TEs on the roster, and within two years both their careers would be altered due to knee injuries. TT has never come close to replacing either.

Back