Arizona Upsets GB At Home 20-17

Packers are having horrible year this year yes. Rodgers seems to not be the same guy we have seen for 10 years. But Packers have had 25 years of continued success. Very few teams can say that. At some time we had to expect to go into a funk as it happens to all teams. Might take a couple more bad years to get this team going into right direction again as will need to get some more talent drafted and a new HC will need time to get his system into play and have guys learn it. Could have been worse run over this time. Change is needed. Had the team made a change 2-3 years ago on TT and MM perhaps we would be farther along and still have some of Rodgers prime years left to turn it around and have success sadly right now I see it by time we get it turned around Rodgers will be at the end and we will need to be hopefully having a good QB to take the reigns from him

Posted this elsewhere but will share here :

Well, after that world class display of self-penile stepping it's become apparent that the coach as lost the team. No one is playing hard for the guy. It was an uninspired effort by all except for a select few who probably need to make their mark to find a spot on the team next year. Not much to re-hash other than we looked like a very bad team who lost to arguably the worst team in the NFL at home, in weather that should have been a huge advantage. Every time I see a breaking news alert in the scrolling scores I expect to see McCarthy gone.

So, looking beyond 2018 what do we have to look forward to:

The defensive backfield has some young talent to get excited over.
The RB group is actually pretty good.
That Davante Adams guy looks pretty good and they may have something promising in this year's rookie class.
A lot of the team under performing current contracts will probably not be back next year. Ergo, a lot of money to spend in FA.
We probably will have a new coaching staff who's offensive identity isn't wait for Aaron to make something happen.
Kenny Clark is the real deal. Blake Martinez isn't half bad either.
Green Bay is probably the most desirable coaching destination this off season.
Two first round picks.

Causes for concern:
The $30 million man doesn't look right.
The management in GB is slow to react and may not make the drastic changes most seem to see as necessary.
The interior O-line and defensive edge positions need major overhauls that won't come cheap.
There's teams with much more available money to spend in FA which will take some of the top tier players out of our price range.

Let’s be clear. The Packers just lost to a 2 win team that plays in the desert traveling to a city with winds and snow flurries and Green Bay was a 14 point favorite.

There will never, ever be a greater example of systematical failure than today. And I’m not talking just Mike. It’s Murphy as well.
Today was a confluence of stupidity thinking Rodgers was good enough.

Face it, coaching is important but a miracle worker would not put this bunch in the playoffs much less the SB. A lot of course is injuries and some of the guys playing to day should not be on the roster, much less playing major roles.

On O after 12, Adams, Bak and 33, D, has Clark, Daniels, 23 and maybe Martinez. The young receivers and d backs may get there but they are not there yet. The rest are just guys.

I'm in the camp that the OL is in need of players, starters and reserves. How can Spriggs still be here? There must be a fat guy bagging groceries somewhere who can be better than him? Have they looked?

MM has not helped and he needs to go but the new guy is not getting a great roster to work with. Interesting off season coming.

I think MM needs to skip a bunch of practice this week (it's not helping anyway) and bring a steady stream of ex Packers in to tell this group what it means to play for the Green and Gold and what a privilege it is. Might do more to get this team out of it's self loathing funk than anything else.

What’s scary is how much the roster needs to be deconstructed before it can even be built back up again. We’re at 2005 level issues here. Lots of dead wood, lots of necessary turnover at so many positions.

Roster doesn't need to be blown up, deconstructed ,etc. Its not nearly as bad as a lot here seem to whine and bitch about.

Well, the whole blow-up the roster or not is really just semantics. What does blowing up the roster constitute? Half the roster? Half the starters? More?

Like Half says you kinda have to look at it position by position and player by player. Which guys can you win with and which ones are weak links. You can't have a pro-bowler at every position, but you have to start by figuring out which guys are hurting you regularly.

Endaround kind of laid out the positives. I'll kind of summarize the positions.
-RB is OK but you could use a 3rd one at an injury prone position.
-QB is set for the moment, but you probably need to add one in the next couple of years.
-WR needs some help. You don't have much for slot guys right now. Cobb looks done. The rookies are OK and maybe one will be special, but I'd like to see them add a slot guy and maybe a stud outside guy.
-TE needs one more young guy.
-OL needs real help. Guys like Bell, Patrick and McCray are just OK as back-ups but should not be starters or the first guy off the bench. Even Taylor is a bit of a weak link, and Bulaga is OK when healthy, but I think he's about done, with his injury history. I think you need a minimum of 3-4 non-UDFA OL additions over the next 2 seasons.
-DL is just OK right now but you need at least a quality back-up or two. Another solid starter would be a plus.
_OLB needs a stud. CM3 is almost done and at best is a rotational guy now. Same with Fackrell. Sure he's put up some numbers, but does any DC really plan for how they will block him? He gets some sacks but does not apply consistent pressure so does not disrupt enough plays.
-ILB still needs a guy. Martinez is a winner. After that it's just guys. Burks was supposed to help, but he's not shown much.
-CB has a couple of guys. You might need one more quality guy.
-S really has nothing right now. Can Jones be a solid SS? Is Josh Jackson's future at FS? Brice seems like a decent back-up. You might need a starter . . . or two.

The way I figure it, you'll need about 7-8 top 2-3 round draft picks and another 8-10 later picks that work out at lower value/priority spots. Now, maybe you can fill some of those needs in FA, since you don't have many guys you really need to sign over the next couple of years to any real money besides Clark. No matter how you slice it, seems to me it's gonna take a couple of years until you can put together a roster strong enough to contend for a Super Bowl again.

Back