Article: Is Aaron Right?

As to NE, the weapons around Brady also takes the pressure off, Rodgers other than #17 has been the show. Is he right? no he is not 30 years old anymore, this is the new Rodgers and we cant expect him to be the old Rodgers

Not so sure Brady has had a ton more weapons. He has however had better coaches. Yes, Gronk was a star, but beyond that it seems they've mostly made it happen with good players who do their jobs rather than All-Pro type talent at the skill positions. Their wide receivers have been a pretty pedestrian group. Nice players like Welker, Amendola and Edelman have had a handful of 1000yd seasons in the past decade. Same with their running backs - only a few 1000yd seasons in the past decade.

They take nice players like James White and make them more effective than they would otherwise be on most teams by using them to best effect.

One could certainly argue that until the last couple of seasons, it's actually been AR who's had the advantage in terms of weapons. Now, AR had to do some of what he's done over the seasons because the offense as implemented by MM needed him to do that to win games. I'm hopeful that ML finds a way to make AR more effective without him having so regularly extend plays with his legs to make the offense go.

Getting guys in the twilight of their career to play roles on a team is what drives the Pats. They're good at it, from front office to the sideline. The Packers would have to have a complete change of direction to get there. When Brady either goes down with a serious injury, or just ends his career, and Belichek steps down, I have no idea where that franchise will be. I'd dare guess it won't be nearly as productive, or have as much continuity as it does today.

Man I know it's a game of inches, but I believe we were waaaaaaay closer to 3-12-1 than 13-3.
The way they played at the end of the 2018 season - yeah, maybe. The first half of the season they were mired by a couple of dumb plays (and a questionable Roughing call against CM3 vs Vikings) but were slightly above 0.500 at the bye, and then went downhill - don't think they were capable of 13-3 but 10 wins was possible. This year . . . I don't think we have enough info yet on this offense to know if they can be an 11-5 team or a 7-9 team; another win this week against MN and I might start leaning towards 11-5; but getting back to basics of this thread, it depends on how AR plays.

Getting guys in the twilight of their career to play roles on a team is what drives the Pats. They're good at it, from front office to the sideline. The Packers would have to have a complete change of direction to get there. When Brady either goes down with a serious injury, or just ends his career, and Belichek steps down, I have no idea where that franchise will be. I'd dare guess it won't be nearly as productive, or have as much continuity as it does today.
Wonder why they passed on Cobbs then.

Wonder why they passed on Cobbs then.

I think the Pats have always looked for free agents who specifically fit in certain roles on their team. They get their pick of the litter constantly, because they keep turning over players and cap money in the process. They seem to avoid inking long term agreements with guys who they think will only give them one to three years of quality service. It doesn't take too much for these guys to go from a starter giving them quality time to being out on the street, because they didn't offer another contract.

Back