Badgers manhandle USF

TW

Reaction score
The good, the bad, and the ugly. The good?

Coan didn't implode. Not yet, anyway. I'm not certain I'll be giving him credit of doing a great job, but his stats weren't bad, and could have been better if some of those dropped passes had been caught. I'm still not sold on him being able to make the big play pass though. I just don't see that touch from him. I hope he improves fast.

The offensive line did a decent job, considering there's 4 new faces among the 5 out there. They'll obviously get better, and need to do it quick. It isn't too far off when Michigan visits the Badgers, and if they aren't ready for that one.... Ouch! On the Taylor TD pass to the left, the outside blocking by the line, and receivers was fantastic. Precise.

Taylor is off to a great start on another season. He's going to be a load for anyone to stop. Please note that the words I've been saying about Nokia Watson, having watched him since he was at Westlake HS, Austin, TX, were correct. He's going to be a solid back up in the running game, and I'd think the heir apparent to the featured back, unless they find someone even better. He looked pretty good for a guy who never carried the ball once until last night. He's a red shirt freshman, so lots of eligibility there.

On defense, the Badgers were just plain hitting them on every play. They tackled well, and even though there were a few slipped tackles, most of them were squared up hits.

There was a huge pass rush when they wanted it. But, temper judgement on this one, because they really have more talent than USF, so it wasn't a real good gauge as to how good they really are. Henningsen did shine though, didn't he? Maybe he's figured it out?

The linebackers looked pretty good, but against lesser talent. They're still learning, and learning to play as a unit. It will come, but probably not before they play Michigan.

The DBs were flying around the field. They were helped a lot by passes being dropped that should have been caught to move the chains, and to put USF in scoring position. We got lucky there. Yet, there were signs that they just might have the guys who can grow into their jobs.

The Bad?

FG kicking. New kicker, gets the yips. Let's hope he gets better. He's needed, big time. Can't leave points off the board when a drive stalls.

Clock management on offense. Chryst and Coan both looked like they didn't understand the process. It's actually a carry over problem from last year, and should be corrected, or it's going to cost the Badgers games.

The Ugly

We don't know just how bad USF actually is. Based on what I saw, they might not be able to win 4 games this year. They're learning a new system, and they stopped their own drives just as often as the Badgers defense did. As for their defense, they're arm tacklers, and that's not the form needed to bring down guys like Taylor.

We have nothing from this game that will tell us that the Badgers are a better team than 8-5.

Coan didn't implode. Not yet, anyway. I'm not certain I'll be giving him credit of doing a great job, but his stats weren't bad, and could have been better if some of those dropped passes had been caught. I'm still not sold on him being able to make the big play pass though. I just don't see that touch from him. I hope he improves fast.

He needs to set his feet and throw..... a lot of nerves etc. Very correctable issues. He only needs to make 2-3 deep passes a game to take the top off the D. The addition of the short passing game shows PC adjusted his offense...big relief for me.

Loved the win. Played On Wisconsin on the uke more in one game than all last year (every touchdown and every win).

The game was in hand in the 1st and Mertz doesn't play?

Our passing game is not going to cut it. Chryst is a good man. But he's going to be Harbaugh's bitch - again.

I hope I'm wrong.

God, it was great to have football on and for Bucky to be playing hard.

They would prefer to redshirt him truth be known.

That's what I heard too. They can use him in 4 games later in the season, and still retain his red shirt status. It would be a smart move. That's why he didn't step in for mop up duty late in the game. Let the other back ups get a little field time. They've worked hard to get it.

I believe Chryst is looking at the longer game, beyond this season. I have a feeling they'll be beating the woods looking for a couple of super fast track star type WRs with a little muscle, who can give them a long passing game to add to their running game down the road. It's going to be interesting seeing if that type of move materializes, and where that help will come from.

I don't think the Badgers playing at RayJay, in front of so many Floridians hurts their cause in recruiting. It may even help a little bit.

Additional note on Coan. I think he has good arm strength. If I was to compare him to last year, I'd say he's become a much better QB. His off season work has mattered. Like Mark said, his flaws are correctable.

Yeah right now I think Wolf will see any playing time in garbage time or if Coan gets hurt. Badgers want to protect that redshirt year for Mertz.

But if Taylor can have a bunch of games like this again he will be a serious contender for the Heisman.

Chryst may be looking at the long game, but the time to strike is now.

Kicking the can down the road just makes you chase it

Playing Mertz right now for the sake of snaps is Lunacy. Some feel he’s closer to #3 on the depth chart. Let’s get the 5 Star savior out of the conversation this is a big learning curve from him

Back