Badgers men's hockey team lands graduate transfer goalie Robbie Beydoun from Michigan Tech

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Badgers were one of around 15 teams to contact Beydoun after he entered the NCAA transfer portal in the days following the end of the season.

Continue reading...

2017/18 Season2018/19 Season2019/20 Season
Robbie Beydoun11 g, 2.63 GAA, .903 sv%12 g, 1.98 GAA, .931 sv%5 g, 2.32 GAA, .919 sv %
Jack Berry
(only 1 game '18-'19)
(16/17 Sea) 23g, 2.66 GAA, .898 sv%(17/18) 14g, 3.17 GAA, .894 sv%14g, 3.52 GAA, .882 sv%
Kyle Hayton (18-19)/
Danny Lebedeff (19-20 (2 gm 18-19))
KH: 24g, 3.09 GAA, .890 sv%DL: 27g, 3.56 GAA, .892 sv%

Lots of interesting connections in this one, some existing only in my mind.

First, Robbie is leaving b/c he got beat out, and beat out badly, by FORMER Badger Matt Jurusik. Here's Matty's stat line from:
2018-19: 23 starts, 2.50 GAA, .909 sv%
2019-20: 32 starts, 2.07 GAA, .924 sv%
this was a kid that got caught up in the Eaves departure/Granato arrival, the new staff didn't seem to like him all that much, so he went back to the USHL where he had a pretty good season for Sioux City before getting the offer for MTech.

Next, Kyle Hayton arrived as a highly touted transfer from St. Lawrence (where he'd been all conference the year before) but was rather subpar between the pipes for the Badgers. Beydoun may come in with similar expectations, I'm not sure. Being in Omaha has cut me off from my regular contacts in the hockey/athletic dept and the local fanbase.

Next season's roster: Jack Berry is gone, Lebedeff is likely staying (no word that he isn't), and in addition to Beydoun there are three potential freshman who could arrive, though they all won't, of course. Two are with the NTDP right now, and one of them should definitely stay in development. The other is 20 yr old Ben Garrity who has been in the NAHL last two seasons. You usually only carry 3 goalies, and one is your emergency backup who starts for the university club team. Best guess is that Lebedeff and Beydoun split starts (a la Gudmanson and Bennett back in the day), and if Garrity comes he redshirts. They have too many guys at the end of the pipeline, and I'm not sure just how good any of them are.

It's all moot b/c: unless some of these Canadian farm boys coming in next season are a lot tougher in the defensive end than what we've had of late, the goalie isn't going to matter b/c he's gonna be left out to dry more often than not.

Back