Badgers show Huskers how to play 2nd half ball

TW

Reaction score
Let's start with one thing. Mental lapses. Outside of mental lapses, the Badgers totally humiliated the Cornhuskers. They had no answer for our running game, and outside of some real dumb decisions on Hornibrook's part, the passing game was decent.

The one long TD pass by Nebraska was strictly a mental lapse, nothing more. Rest assured, this defensive secondary is one of the best in the nation. They broke up passes with defensive plays repeatedly over the course of the game, with officials who would blow the whistle on anything. In fact, Millen mentioned, during the broadcast, that they were a little "whistle happy." Ergo, the reason, during the game, of not showing some of those nit pick replays of holding that normally wouldn't be called.

Hornibrook scared the bejeebers out of me with his outside throws. The kid has to get it through his head that defenders can drive on the ball, and get to it, before the receivers. On three occasions he threw the ball right to the defenders, by not having a clue where his receiver really was really located. Fortunately, only one ended up an INT, and it was bad - a pick six. Not acceptable at all. He needs to have better peripheal vision, and sense defenders are closing on the play. He tends to throw the ball a little late.

At this point, our offense is really a running offense, with passing to keep teams honest. Our passing game needs to step up, so we can come from behind against a decent team, if needed. We have to stop teams from having the luxury of playing 8 or 9 in the box to stop our ground game. It's going to bite us in the butt if we don't.

What impresses me most is how well coached up the Badgers defense is when they come out of the tunnel to start the second half. So far, it's been amazing, but can it continue against even tougher opposition?

Remember, this was one heckuva test for the Badgers. Nebraska is as tough as they get at home, and at night, they're even more of a challenge. What the Badgers did last night should not be taken lightly. They went into what was a real challenge, and came away with a W.

Love the win. the Badgers flexed their muscle and Neb had nothing for them. Side note, I don't think Neb is good and they haven't been good since they joined the big 10. They really have fallen off a cliff since the glory years, I fully expected the badgers to roll this shell of a once great powerhouse. So as has game as being a true test, meh, any team in the top 15 should/would go in there last night and beat this Neb team. Night/Day in the middle of a cornfield, it doesn't matter ha.

The badgers have everything but 1 important thing to ever compete for a Title and that's a real QB. I was talking about this with a friend last night and its truly sad that our shot was the 1 year with Wilson. Like you said TW this team is coached great. They make adjustments at half and change gameplans during the game as good as anyone. Both the O and D lines can bang with anyone, and we have the horses to run run run. The D is good enough to keep us in games even with a ho hum qb. Until the badgers can find a legit qb, I would even love to see a dual threat guy, we will be a good team but not one to push around the top teams in the country.

It's somewhat remarkable. Hornibrook goes from looking like a guy who would be a dark horse post season awards guy at BYU and progressively has looked like a guy that won't be the starter next season.

I think we know now why Coen wasn't redshirted this year.

Did anyone actually watch the game ???

Nebraska played man press and dared our WR to get loose, we couldn't and didn't. That's why your QB was throwing short Horizontal routes rather than vertical. ( Need to get our WR in the weightroom)

After 3 years and many years under BB it's amazing that no one gets it yet. PC wants a game manager that can run his offense and occasionally take's a shot.

An awful QB doesn't make this throw

Read this article as well, lots of examples of his postives and negatives here https://www.insidenu.com/2017/9/27/...-hornibrook-wisconsins-passing-attack-preview

Is he great ??? Heck No but that's not how UW FB is built boys. We run the FB and play great defense. UW has won with a lot less at QB so please stop.

As for the game, tough gut check second half. I thought Nebraska exposed our pass defense a little running those shallow crossing routes vs our zone look. UW actually had play action set up more than once but they choose to keep pounding it.. perfectly fine with that. ( MM were you watching ?)

Purdue won't be easy next week, so I am hoping some of those struggles are coaching points all week. Can't get comfy or get a big head.

onwisco)

Hornibrook is talented. He just has lapses in judgement. As far as a long passing game, the only real deep threat we have is Davis, and he's really undersized. That doesn't mean he isn't a good receiver, it simply means you need to get him the ball in space, so he can utilize the speed, where guys like Cephus hae the capability of catching the ball in traffic, by muscling up.

I know they want a caretaker QB at this point, but that's not what wins championships. You need to be able to step up your passing game when it's needed. Do I think Hornibrook can do it? Yes. I think he has the arm, and the smarts to be an effective passer. As I've said, his real problem is when he has lapses. That's when he burns himself. Outside of that, a decent enough QB with a lot of upside.

To compete for the national championship this year, Wisconsin's passing game has to be enough of a threat that they can get into a shooting match if necessary, and win. If they can't, the running game won't carry them past a team that's geared to score from anywhere on the field, in the air, or on the ground.

Give a plus to Cephus. He stepped up his game every week since becoming one of the primary targets. I think, with a little muscle, the guy can make it to the next level.

I've been watching the Badgers pound the rock since the days of Alan Ameche, and I know they can do it pretty darned well. I think we have a future Heisman Trophy winner toting the ball now. He is amazingly poised for a true freshman.

o compete for the national championship

UW has zero chance vs Bama, Clemson or Georgia. We don't have the horses in the stable. Getting to the Big Ten title game and giving Penn State or Ohio State a good competitive game would be huge. Beyond that we are 2 years out realistically.

2 years out for what?? What has UW won with less? Im not saying Hornibrook is trash, and we will win games and get to a nice bowl game, but there is way better qbs in college football. Just look at that pic 6, he stared down the wr for like 2 sec!! He does that often and I think he needs to shorten up his motion some. I do agree he has arm talent and can be effective, but at some point it would be nice to compete with the big dogs and Ill say it again, we wont be in the mix for a title until we get a real talent at qb. Just look at our O with Wilson (a real qb) We could run and also threaten with the pass. I know those guys don't grow on trees, and yes our wrs have been less than stellar for awhile now but we need to get out and find some talent then.

Both QB and WR could be upgraded. This team has plenty of talent and will do what we do and win the games we should. I sure would be fun to be talked in the mix for the playoff and actually compete. that wont happen in 2 years unless a qb emerges.

ps college football is down this year. the bama team, while still the cream, isn't a great team. Neither is Clem or Georgia. Very good no doubt but not the killer teams of the last few years. Could be an exciting finish

Back