Blocking moves NFL Policy

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
from 2020
NFL clubs voted to approve a resolution that will prevent teams from blocking assistant coaches from interviewing for coordinator positions.

The vote, per Jenny Vrentas of Sports Illustrated, also prohibits contracts from including right-to-match clauses or compensation requirements if an assistant leaves for a coordinator job.

Teams were previously able to block assistants from interviewing for positions that could be deemed "lateral moves," and assistant-to-coordinator transitions previously fell under that umbrella. NFL teams are not allowed to prohibit assistants from interviewing for head coaching positions.

Coordinators will still not be allowed to leave their team for another NFL coordinator position without seeking permission.
The changes are part of an initiative to increase diversity on NFL coaching staffs and high-level positions. There are currently only four minority head coaches and two minority general managers. Roughly 70 percent of NFL players are black.

"We believe these new policies demonstrate the NFL Owners' commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the NFL," Steelers owner Art Rooney II said. "The development of young coaches and young executives is a key to our future. These steps will assure coaching and football personnel are afforded a fair and equitable opportunity to advance throughout our football operations. We also have taken important steps to ensure that our front offices, which represent our clubs in so many different ways, come to reflect the true diversity of our fans and our country."

The league also made changes to the Rooney Rule, requiring teams to interview two external minority candidates for head coaching vacancies and one minority candidate for coordinator positions and high-level front-office positions.
I missed all this...happened during Covid spring

That makes it seem like ML couldn’t have officially blocked anything with Steno or any other assistant, the only move they could’ve blocked would be if Hackett wanted to be OC elsewhere

That makes it seem like ML couldn’t have officially blocked anything with Steno or any other assistant, the only move they could’ve blocked would be if Hackett wanted to be OC elsewhere
That's the way I read it too....though it's a bit confusing. I am going to research all that deep just so I understand it.

That could be it. I think that’s how Kyle Shanahan blocked ML from hiring Mike LaFleur as OC.

Lots of teams are now giving run/pass game coordinator titles to positon coaches. This is a back door way of teams being able to block them from interviewing for OC/DC jobs that do not include play calling duties.

Though I believe if the OC/DC job would allow them to call plays this would be seen as a promotion and would not be allowed to be blocked despite if they had the run/pass game title already.

Lots of teams are now giving run/pass game coordinator titles to positon coaches. This is a back door way of teams being able to block them from interviewing for OC/DC jobs that do not include play calling duties.

Though I believe if the OC/DC job would allow them to call plays this would be seen as a promotion and would not be allowed to be blocked despite if they had the run/pass game title already.
The league designation of a promotion is by title not responsibility. Things like Asst HC which is just a nice add on for pay

The league designation of a promotion is by title not responsibility. Things like Asst HC which is just a nice add on for pay
Disagree how was ML able to block Stenavich then? Stenavich had run game coordinator title and would not call plays in Denver thus ML was able to block the interview then for OC job. If it was just by title Stenavich would have been able to interview for OC job since he was OL coach.

Disagree how was ML able to block Stenavich then? Stenavich had run game coordinator title and would not call plays in Denver thus ML was able to block the interview then for OC job. If it was just by title Stenavich would have been able to interview for OC job since he was OL coach.
Run game coordinator title. Note the word coordinator

Back