Capers: Our depth has been tested

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers' Monday press conference:

- (General statement) Like how we played run early in the game. We got them into some passing situations. Had excellent pressure. I thought hits on quarterback had a major effect on him. Anytime you have the passing stats like that you feel good. Best thing in my mind was adversity situations. We had five. We gave up three points. I thought guys responded the way you would like to see them respond. We won 13 of 18 on third down. We played well down in the red zone for the second week in a row. Areas to improve: Gurley had a 55-yard run. Then in 2-minute we give them a 68-yard pass. Luckily, we rose to the occassion. we gave up a 123 yards on two plays.
- (On cornerbacks) Big part of the game now (is mixing and matching). Those rookies have been challenged. They both have responded well. Those interceptions were big.
- (On QB hits) Probably yesterday was as high as we've been. I think it had a big impact. He was under duress. You saw on the interceptions we had people in his face. I thought he had been very efficient and hadn't been sacked much. A guy like that you don't want to keep him in a rhythm.
- (On defensive pride) I think most of your teams can win a lot of different ways. In 2010, we won a lot of different ways. Scoring defense was good. I think it makes us a better team when we can do that.
- (On blitzes) You see more of them if they're working. One thing in this game if htey're working you go to them more. We got a lot of pressure on four-man rush. Saw Clay with pressure. Julius. Datone Jones. Tied with our coverage well.
- (On Banjo) Chris has really done a good job. You know he's done a good job for us. He's a smart guy, knows all the adjustments. Two out of the last three games gone in with two safeties.
- (On Joe Thomas) Watched him on practice field. You saw him show up when given opportunities. Been able to see him take part in that role (dime backer). We've had a lot of young guys like that.
- (On Burnett out) Have a little more depth. Happened (negatively) to us last year with him out. Now Ha is in his scond year. We have guys in positions for a couple of years. Those guys have done a good job communicating. Our depth has been tested through five games.

Continue reading...

Back