Cobb and Matthews depart..... New Staff Moving Forward

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Didn't like any of the local stories out on this so started ny own. Cobb and Matthews are officially gone. I still believe this season is a learn the new system and rebuilding the culture in the building type of year. Thoughts ?

Agree a lot of people are thinking we made big splash in FA we can contend right away a few FA does not change fact team still has holes and lacks depth all over and can't fix that in one draft. Plus as you said this will be a learning year for players and a lot of the coaches as they are pretty young themselves. I still think that this will be around a .500 season for the team as they put a new system in place.

By the time the Packers become highly competitive, we might even see a new, young, QB, under center. I don't see us rising to the level we were not that long ago for at least 3 to 4 years, and even then, it's a little iffy, based on what happens with Rodgers.

I've been on board with the idea of a semi-rebuild for a while now. Had to happen. Too much money invested in older declining guys like Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, CM3, etc. These guys were worth their money a a couple of years ago, but towards the end they were not producing up to their contract numbers. Have to make a cold, hard, business decision to move on.

That said, I would have taken CM3 back, but not at anything close to what he got with the Rams. Good for him if he collects the full amount of that contract. Nelson was a tough call for me last year and I would like to have seen him stay on for one more year. Cobb was not a guy that I saw returning under any circumstances after his deal was done. All 3 will be back as Packer HOF'ers.

I will put it at 2-3 years. A learning year this year, hopefully coupled with a little better record that last year. If we draft well this year and in 2020, I think we can contend for the division in 2020. A Super Bowl run might be possible in 2021 or 2022. It will largely depend on how well AR plays for the next 3-4 years and if ML is the coach we hope he can be.

I'll disagree slightly with TW on one thing. If a new, young QB is at the helm, then we are likely looking at something closer to a 5-6 year window. AR is the likely starter for at least the next 3 years because of that contract. It will likely take a new QB 2-3 years to gain enough experience to lead a true championship contender.

First- I don't wear green and gold glasses. I just have a different perspective in this instance.
The defense isn't a new system, it's the second year. They are not bringing in rookies- they brought in veteran FAs. I expect to see marked improvement. Can't account for injuries so looking forward I expect a reasonable amount of 'health'. I expect players to play better because they should be accustomed and more comfortable in Pettine's scheme.

It's also the second year for our punter and long snapper. They were ok last year, but again- there should be more consistency/reliability from them.

Offense? Hmmmm......The Oline should be ok. The worst they looked last year was when ARodg held the ball forever. We upgraded our weakest position (RG) and expect to bolster it more with a draft pick or two. The scheme isn't significantly different from what was happening. Go ahead and laugh, but I still think Spriggs is going to be fine. Not all pro, but a decent starter. Bak is top notch and Bulaga is in a contract year, funny how that really motivates players historically. Taylor was playing hurt last year and will be fighting for a job in training camp.

WRs have a stud in Adams and then some potential. Hopefully at least one of the young guns has a big step forward. The biggest step forward could actually come from J'Mon Moore. Part of that is how bad he was last year. Both MVS and ESB flashed a little last year, enough to give me hope that one of them will step up significantly.

TE? Graham was incredibly overpaid for the year he had. If you take his price tag away and just look at his production- it was a decent year. By no means was it a $10M year, but his stats were comparable to anything JFin put up years ago. Expect this position to get a second day draft pick.

I know this is a new staff overall, but that puts everyone in 'prove it' mode. It is going to come down to MLF's relationship with ARodg. Can Rodgers find his accuracy again and will he take the check down? I think our potential hinges on that more than anything else. Can Rodgers take what the defense gives him or will he continue to force it downfield?

Good luck to them.. it was time to move on and let go of the past ...

I am with Dubz that this is not a new system on defense. Lets look at the contract structures for the new guys, basically 2 years deals with "team options" after. When you invest that much you expect results now. As to offense its not like we have kids coming in who need time to ramp up. They have the playbook now, next is OTA's and then camp. Will it be rough for the 1st 2=3 weeks yes but these are vets. Its a win now league and if this was a major rebuild or overhaul with a youth movement I get the 2-3 year window to compete. Are there still holes yes and they need to be addressed in the draft. I would be very disappointed with a 500 type team and slightly disappointed with a non playoff club. Is this a team to to deep in January no, but they got a lot of the pieces on defense that were missing

Clay has been the #1 face of the D and #2 face of the franchise for years now, and his status has not been commensurate with his play. You bring in a new HC in order to change the team culture, and a big part of that is moving on from a guy like Clay (yes this applies to Rodgers as well, but there is enough talent left in him for that conversation to be for another day).

I think it's the right move for the team, and a good move for him to be on a team where he can play a complementary role at best on the field and in the locker room.

It's funny reading all over about not having a slot WR next year etc. Different offense under this HC so how does anyone know what we need or don't need outside of the staff ?

I disagree just because the defensive system is the same that it gives us an edge. I am willing to bet MM meddled on that side as well and this year MP will put in the scheme he really wanted.

I disagree just because the defensive system is the same that it gives us an edge. I am willing to bet MM meddled on that side as well and this year MP will put in the scheme he really wanted.

+1. MM stuck his nose in everything and affected the entire team. I think ML is going to be hands off with the D and let MP do his thing, for better or worse.

Back