Data reveals Ted Thompson's draft success

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Packers GM has documented record of success

home

Continue reading...

that chart in the article is very difficult to use. there's some great information but it's difficult to see. one thing that's not so obvious is that even though he's had more draft picks that anyone else, he hasn't done a particularly good job of drafting blue chip players. only four all pro players. while some gms who had far fewer picks managed to snare seven or eight all pros. his percent of two-year starters and four-year players is certainly not the worst, but it's also not close to being the best. personally, i think he's better than average but not among the very best in terms of overall draft success. and if you are going to build a team almost exclusively through the draft, you really need to be among the very best.

Agree TT first round picks have not panned out very well. Rodgers being the only one that has found elite status. He had a couple that have been above average starters but many that were busts also. It seems were TT has hit his best picks is around the 4th and 5th rounds and of course bringing in UDFA's.

Not sure if drafting blue chippers or All-pros is the best measure. I don't have the stats for All-pro players, but over the past 10 years, the top 5 teams for Pro-Bowl players is:

1-Dallas, 2a-K.C., 2b-San Fran, 4a-Houston, 4b-Seattle, 6a-Denver, 6b-Green Bay.

How's that stat working for 4 of those teams, especially KC and Houston. New England is tied for 10th with the Bears, Browns and Vikings.

While I would certainly prefer to see more top-flite talent in GB, I'd rather have a roster that is deep enough to win and hopefully get to the playoffs and win it all. I'm not saying TT is a genius. I hate some of his drafts and specific picks, but using the "star" metric to determine draft success may not be the answer. I fully admit, I don't know if those numbers in the chart indicate anything more than TT drafts a lot of guys and those guys play in a lot of games, because TT tends to go young, and the Packers give them a chance to play.

TT is living off the Rodgers pick, his seemingly uncanny ability to draft WRs, and to find capable starters and depth in the middle rounds.

I agree TT has an incredible penchant for drafting great WR's. He also does a remarkable job in the UFA dept.

It's his bizarre picks like Thornton in the 3rd that drives me nuts. He seems to have at least one of those every draft. His DL picks and ILB seem to be a big question mark every year. In fact, defense period seems to always be the big question mark for the Packers. How long does it take???

I don't want Ted spending like a drunken yuppie. But I would like to see some help from FA in problem areas once in a while. Constantly depending on unproven draft picks and undrafted FA's can be dangerous. I want to see Aaron win at least a couple more trophies.

What is Julius Peppers than ? He is a FA aquasition in a position of need and got a lot of money. Generally FA make up for poor performing draft picks

What is Julius Peppers than ? He is a FA aquasition in a position of need and got a lot of money. Generally FA make up for poor performing draft picks
he's the exception that proves the rule. look at the 53-man roster at the end of last season and tell me how many veteran free agents (guys that played well for other teams) were on the roster.

Back